Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giny View Post
I would bring her home with me. I know Kassie didn't get a biopsy of the liver but when she got spayed they suggested that she should stay their for the night, and like you I thought, with know one there to supervise her during the night, I didn't feel it was in her best interest. I didn't sleep much that night, I kept her on me all night long, but at least I knew she'd be OK.

I find it crazy that the vets, to this day, don't have someone, at least a vet tech, there over night. We pay a fortune for what now?

Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.
I use three vets, yes I know thats weird but its a long story and this is the only one who doesnt have someone there overnight, honestly I only found out about it the other day, I just assumed ALL vets had someone there overnight... I dont know why you wouldnt... but I really dont want to cancel AGAIN because this seems like the never ending journey to get all this done.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:56 PM
:( only one :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
I use three vets, yes I know thats weird but its a long story and this is the only one who doesnt have someone there overnight, honestly I only found out about it the other day, I just assumed ALL vets had someone there overnight... I dont know why you wouldnt... but I really dont want to cancel AGAIN because this seems like the never ending journey to get all this done.
Lucky you! I wish we had somewhere near hear that would stay overnight. It would have been nice for when Boomer had his middle of the night emergency.

Hope all goes well with Chloe, keep us updated.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisssAshby View Post
If they feel that she will be fine alone I personally would probably opt to take her home with me.

Did I miss something? Why didn't she get spayed last time? Also, why is she having the liver biopsy? I hope everything goes well.
I was taking her to a relative to be spayed that was about 4 hours away, we drove all the way there and then before the surgery had to come home because of a family emergency. Now, I just dont have the time to drive there again.

She is having the liver biopsy because the vet suspects she has MVD (micro-vascular dysplasia) and a liver biopsy is the only way to confirm it.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:59 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
I would bring her home with me. I know Kassie didn't get a biopsy of the liver but when she got spayed they suggested that she should stay their for the night, and like you I thought, with know one there to supervise her during the night, I didn't feel it was in her best interest. I didn't sleep much that night, I kept her on me all night long, but at least I knew she'd be OK.

I find it crazy that the vets, to this day, don't have someone, at least a vet tech, there over night. We pay a fortune for what now?

Agreed. I'd sign the waiver and bring her home. Something *may* happen......but at least she'd be with you either way instead of all alone and scared. That waiver is to protect them in case something goes wrong........they aren't liable if you've agreed to be responsible for her well being when you take her early.

I asked right away if Orson had to stay over night.......I was more than prepared to battle over the subject, LOL, luckily it was done in the morning and he could come home that evening. (just the neuter, not anything like what Chloe is going through) Phoebe was adopted and transferred by THEM to a vet and we picked her up next day from that vet if my memory is correct.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Top Dog

At the vet I work at, techs don't stay overnight. I know my bosses wouldn't pay for that.

We do send most surgeries home the same night, though, and since techs take emergency calls througout the night, many times someone is there at some point after hours
Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

I'd bring her home if her spay is in the morning...it makes sense if she'll be alone all night.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Sport Model Pug

I don't do leaving my dogs over night unless it's an emergency. That's my first question for any vet i talked to when i was booking Izzie's spay. Every clinic in town said no to me taking her home except the one i went with.

Izzie's only spent the night at a vet when she had her eye surgery, she stayed 3 nights at a 24 hour emergency/referral clinic in the ICU. Even though she still smelled like diarrhea and had bits of it stuck in her pants from a combination of crappy vet food and the drugs, there was still a tech in the room at all times.

Ask for what to look for and bring her home. When you leave to get her pop a blanket in the dryer and when she comes home wrap her up in that nice toasty blanket and give her some love.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-08-2010, 07:12 PM
No thumbs = No mutiny

I would have an e-vets number handy, just in case, but I would take her home.

My Chloe went home the afternoon of her spay, and I was very happy it went that way.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Yorkie Love

well at least i feel better... there are other crazies out there who dont want to leave their pets over night.

I live less then 10 minutes from an evet, so getting her somewhere in an emergency wont be an issue... they are never closed so thats fine.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:

^ this X like a thousand. I don't understand it at all.

And it's a huge pet peeve that they will leave the dog overnight in a kennel without anyone even *near* the place but won't allow the owner to take their dog home where it will recieve constant care.

Yes, you can bet my vet will be hearing me loud and clear when it's time for Blaze's neuter, if he gets snipped.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l