Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Yorkie Love

Default For REAL this time... question also.

Okay, so for REAL this time... Chloe is getting spayed tomorrow.

She is also having the liver biopsy at the same time.

There is one thing I am debating... with the biopsy there is an increased risk of internal bleeding and there is no one at this vet for about 12 hours at night, no one, not a tech, not a vet, no one. I requested that they let me bring her home so that I can keep an eye on her, I dont like the idea of her spending 12 hours alone... if something goes wrong, what happens? At least if she is with me, I could take her to an ER vet if it appeared as though something was wrong. They said I have to sign a release if I want to take her... from a legal standpoint this makes NO sense to me... but from an emotional standpoint I dont really care and would just feel better if she was with me. So what would you do?
Old 02-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

My hospital would have someone there at that point . They would never leave a critical dog all night alone .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-08-2010, 04:14 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Most vets are at least friendly with other vets in the area, and almost always with larger surgical places.

I would ask them if it were possible to transport her to a veterinary office that will have someone there overnight.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I think it would depend on how big the risk was, how easy it would be for you to recognize the symptoms and get her to an e-vet in time, what kind of care/monitoring she should have if left at a vet's office. If she really needs to remain hospitalized overnight, then she should be able to go somewhere that is set up to care for them overnight. When mine needed that, he got the surgery at my vet's office and then I picked him up and took him to the e-vet for the night.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 02-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
I think it would depend on how big the risk was, how easy it would be for you to recognize the symptoms and get her to an e-vet in time, what kind of care/monitoring she should have if left at a vet's office. If she really needs to remain hospitalized overnight, then she should be able to go somewhere that is set up to care for them overnight. When mine needed that, he got the surgery at my vet's office and then I picked him up and took him to the e-vet for the night.
well they suggested this as well if I really didnt want to leave her, transferring her to an ER vet. But I guess what I dont understand is, if they are comfortable leaving her totally unsupervised, why isnt it even slightly better or at the very least equivalent for me to have her? So why the need for a release?

There opinion is that she will be fine... she is having the surgery in the early morning and they said that any bleeding would show up within hours of the surgery. So they dont think she needs any care at night basically, so then again, why cant she just come home if she doesnt need care?

Maybe I am just be that "annoying client" because she is my baby
Old 02-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
well they suggested this as well if I really didnt want to leave her, transferring her to an ER vet. But I guess what I dont understand is, if they are comfortable leaving her totally unsupervised, why isnt it even slightly better or at the very least equivalent for me to have her? So why the need for a release?
Ahhhhhh...

The release is because I guess their protocol would be to have her stay there overnight and in not following that, they want to cover their ass. They want it documented that it was you who wanted to take her home early.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 02-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Behavior Nerd

If it were me I'd sign the waiver, ask for an explanation of *exactly* what signs to watch for, and then I'd take my dog home.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Ahhhhhh...

The release is because I guess their protocol would be to have her stay there overnight and in not following that, they want to cover their ass. They want it documented that it was you who wanted to take her home early.
so I guess it would be wrong to sign the waiver but include my own disclaimer,
^im kidding I wont really do that!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:49 PM
:( only one :(

I would bring her home with me. I know Kassie didn't get a biopsy of the liver but when she got spayed they suggested that she should stay their for the night, and like you I thought, with know one there to supervise her during the night, I didn't feel it was in her best interest. I didn't sleep much that night, I kept her on me all night long, but at least I knew she'd be OK.

I find it crazy that the vets, to this day, don't have someone, at least a vet tech, there over night. We pay a fortune for what now?

Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

If they feel that she will be fine alone I personally would probably opt to take her home with me.

Did I miss something? Why didn't she get spayed last time? Also, why is she having the liver biopsy? I hope everything goes well.