Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

We bought a 2010 Ford Escape and it has pleeenty of room. We went on a halfway cross-country vacation with two large crates (one for the cats and one for T-Bone), plus all our luggage. The seats in the back fold down completely flat. I love that car! The gas mileage is great, we get about 23-25 in the city and about 28-30 on the highway. We got a great deal on a new one (even though I didn't want to buy new) and the prices for the pre-owned ones are pretty good.

ETA: And we have the 6 cylinder and not the hybrid.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backward_Cinderella View Post
Nissan's ROGUE. LOL Sorry everyone!!!
My DREAM car! Oh i would die if one showed up in my drive way in place of my crappy little sunfire.

My aunt has a toyota 4 runner, it's a few years old and it's great. Power, great on gas, not too big or too small, and plenty of cargo room for the doggehs.

I'm not a huge fan of domestics right now, they don't seem to be keeping up with the imports (yes i know i drive a pontiac, but i don't LIKE it! lol).

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

I was looking at pretty much the same choices as you when I was shopping. Drove the CR-V a couple of times and really wanted that, then swung over to the Toyota dealership just to look. I drove the Matrix first, which I LOVED. Tons of go and super quiet inside. With the seats down, I could fit Meg's crate in the back (though just barely). While chatting, the dealer mentioned they had just gotten a Rav-4 in that I could look at. Less than a year old, 8k miles, came with a set of new snow tires. Woman had purchased it from them originally and was moving to NYC, so she sold it back to the dealer. I wound up going home with the Rav, as they gave me a much better deal on my trade in than Honda would offer.

I've been really happy with the Toyota (no recall as mine is a 2008). Gas mileage seems great (coming from a full sized Silverado and Tahoe before, so that's not saying much perhaps!), it's pleasant to drive, great to park, and has done well on bad roads. The size has been great with Meg. I got really nice custom floor mats and seat covers, so it cleans up well even after a nasty weekend at a wet agility trial. More than enough room for the two of us, and I think I'll be fine if I add a second dog.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:42 PM
<------RIP Superdog

I love the nissan rouge. I would have one in a heartbeat. I Almost bought one, but with how much i drive i needed a little better gas milage. I decided on a pontiac vibe. It gets great gas milage, the seats fold flat in the back with Tons of room, and they are plastic lined in the back. Works great for us!!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Mutts to you

Still driving the 1999 Chevy Astro van (not our everyday vehicle). Like it because it IS all wheel drive, can carry 2 large crates in the back plus luggage (and still keep the middle seat) and has separate air conditioning for the back section. It's got outlets for our electric coolers and is pretty darn comfortable for our marathon trips to the east coast (we always drive straight thru - an 18 hour trip).

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 02-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

Subaru Forester (and I'm paraphrasing someone else' suggestion here lol)

Independent suspension.

Decent ground clearance.

Stable (doesn't roll very easily).

Permanent all wheel drive.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Active Pup

I bought an '06 Rav4 with the V6 engine. More power than I need, enough towing capacity to do tow materials for small house projects, and enough rear cargo area to hold the dogs' crates and our luggage. Mileage on long trips has been 27 mpg, with two bikes on the roof. I loved the old 4Runners, but they are too big for me now. I've even put 5 adults in the thing and they were all comfortable for the hour long ride.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Not a lurker

Haha, my Mustang is the kid/dog car. I can fit all 3 kids and the dog - just not for a long distance trip because poor Lacey gets a little smooshed.

What about the Chevy Avalanche? We have the Explorer Sport Trac and it's been pretty decent except for electrical, but the Avalanche is very similar, 4 doors, but has a truck bed, which is great for in the summer to put a crate in the bed of the truck and put the doggy there.

I don't know, my next 2nd vehicle will be something with 3rd row seating...probably like a Suburban, but I'm not too picky on gas mileage.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Active Pup

Toyota's 4Runner seems appropriate.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:21 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
My DREAM car! Oh i would die if one showed up in my drive way in place of my crappy little sunfire.
Dont diss the sunfire. LOL. I have a 2 door. I put 4 dog crates, my show stuff, the dog's show stuff AND the doberman and beagle in it and drove 3hrs to a show. Enough cloths and dog stuff for a weekend show. Granted Emma and Jazz were both on the front seat.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show