Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Active Pup

May I add one more breed for your consideration? The Olde English Builldogge.

Loyal, fun, sweet, protective.

This is Cowboy in his second agility class! He is such a willing guy!

Old 02-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Puppy Dog

bhale, thanks for your suggestion. My boyfriend actually has a very nice Olde English Bulldog named Atlas and that dog has taught me a lot about patience when it comes to training! But if I get him motivated he catches on quickly! Very different from my old lab cross but still a joy to train.

Atlas:

Does your dog get tired in the heat quickly? I have found Atlas is very sensitive to the heat (similar to other types of bulldogs) and so I never considered the breed further - for me - since I wanted to do lots of hiking, etc... in the summer months.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Just try me..

Just noticed this thread. Tollers are awesome agility dogs, they tend not to be as friendly with strangers as most retrievers. (and don't require much grooming).
Old 02-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Active Pup

Default Atlas.......

Looks like a very nice boy, thanks for sharing his picture.

As for your question on heat tolerance - this is a bully breed with a short muzzle so their heat tolerance will be not be a great as other breeds. We live in the central valley of California where summer highs can reach 105+, the OEB does well outside in the heat (altho mine are sprawled out in the house on those days!!). If you plan on hiking on days when temps are 95 and above then a bully breed may not be what you are looking for.

Training... has been a little different! I bred, showed and hunted over Labs and Flatties for over twenty years, so the OEB has been quite an adjustment but I do love all the qualities this breed has.

Best of luck on your search.

Bev
Old 02-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhale View Post
Looks like a very nice boy, thanks for sharing his picture.

As for your question on heat tolerance - this is a bully breed with a short muzzle so their heat tolerance will be not be a great as other breeds. We live in the central valley of California where summer highs can reach 105+, the OEB does well outside in the heat (altho mine are sprawled out in the house on those days!!). If you plan on hiking on days when temps are 95 and above then a bully breed may not be what you are looking for.

Training... has been a little different! I bred, showed and hunted over Labs and Flatties for over twenty years, so the OEB has been quite an adjustment but I do love all the qualities this breed has.

Best of luck on your search.

Bev
I am happy to hear I am not the only one who had to adjust to the bully mentality after working with labs and other "obedience" breeds!

Atlas starts getting lazy around 75 degrees but I also think that is perpetuated by his owner because my boyfriend likes the cooler weather as well.

I do plan on hiking year round so a bully breed is probably not for me. But I do love their quirks. Thanks for sharing your boy as well!