Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Puppy Dog

Default A landlord not allowing pets

Living in an apartment, my friend is a bit upset because the landlord doesn't allow him to keep a dog. He don't know why and neither do I. Do you have any experience in such a situation? How to deal with landlords which has the "no pet please" policy?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM
The Littlest Hound

Find another apartment. And whenever you live somewhere that DOES allow pets, make sure that when you move out they'd never know there was a pet in your apartment. People leaving behind giant messes are the reason pets are not allowed.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Top Dog

A landlord might not allow pets for numerous reasons.

1) Potential for damage - peeing inside, chewing baseboards, clawing carpet, etc
2) Allergies to animals - if I was renting my place, I'd say no cats, because I'm sooooooo allergic
3) Dislike animals for whatever reason

Really, if they can fill the apartment with a non-pet owner, there is no reason for them to allow pets. If it's a priority for your friend to have a dog, they should find a place that is pet-friendly. Do not bring a dog into an apartment where it is not allowed. That will only end badly for the dog (and your friend) when they are found out.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 02-06-2010, 09:47 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
Find another apartment. And whenever you live somewhere that DOES allow pets, make sure that when you move out they'd never know there was a pet in your apartment. People leaving behind giant messes are the reason pets are not allowed.
Agreed.

I AM a dog lover, and if I were renting out a house or apartment I'd have to consider very carefully if I would allow it. It has nothing to do with pets and everything to do with the OWNERS. Some owners are irresponsible jerks who think nothing of letting their pet destroy SOMEONE ELSE'S property and not stepping up to fix the issues. Those are the ones who ruin it for everyone else.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Love my pets

Many don't want pets because of the possible damage done to walls, doors, or even carpeting.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Salty Sea Dog

1: this is VERY common, here where i am its almost impossible to rent with pets...
2: PLEASE do not think just because you dont agree with this rule its "ok" to sneak a pet in...if your landlord doesnt allow pets they plain and simple dont allow pets, try offering a pet deposit, or something but if the landlord says no pets, thats how it goes.

ive seen way too many puppies in shelters and on craigslist with listings like
"i got this puppy its realy cute but my landlord wont let me keep it"
the poor animal has to suffer because they thought they could get round the rules...

3: if you realy want a pet, find an apartment that allows pets.

unfortunatly it gets harder and harder every day to rent with pets due to people leaving messes, untrained dogs and people not respecting a landlords wishes.

our last landlord when i was living with my ex, i provided letters of reference, vaccination recors, training certificates ect, personal references about how good my dogs were, it still took forever to find a place that would allow the dogs, and once we found a place that would consider, alot of work on my part to prove it was the right decision...
even so out roomates had to pay and extra $50 a month as a cat deposit incase they tear the carpet up...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 02-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Yorkie Love

You can try asking if they are willing to change the rules.

I have known landlords that said no pets but were willing to change the rules depending on the pet/situation. In such a situation however, make sure you get a pet rider attached to your lease... you don't want the landlord to say yes and then change his mind after you get the pet.

However, many times they just end up saying No and the only thing you have left to do is find a new place.

Good Luck, I know what a pain it is renting with pets!
Old 02-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

Yep, find another place to rent. Not sure of your area, but here it is easier to rent a house that allows pets (and cheaper too...I have a three bedroom house and pay less than people I know in a one bedroom apartment) than an apartment.

I've rented for years with pets, but you do have to be responsible. The house we're currently renting didn't require a pet deposit either, which was nice
Old 02-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm All Ears

I agree. Most apartments either don't allow pets or they're very specific about what kind of pets and how many you can have. It took me a while of searching to find a place that would allow my two dogs.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:53 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I agree. Most apartments either don't allow pets or they're very specific about what kind of pets and how many you can have. It took me a while of searching to find a place that would allow my two dogs.
Same here! But very worth it

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o