Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Top Dog

Default Weaves

So a few months ago I started some basic agility stuff (actually, it was initially why I found this place lol). Anyway, we kind of did some weaves then, but it was with the poles almost flat on the ground, and he liked to jump over them rather than run down the line.

Anyway, I ordered a set of actual weave poles so that I could use them inside. Today was the first time I did anything with them. I decided to work a little with Gavroche. I did a little clicker training, though not perfectly. I set up 3 poles. I use food to lure him through twice, saying "weave" as I did so, then C/T at the end. The second time he seemed like he knew what he was doing. So I figured why not, and told him "weave" and watched what happened. He actually did it on his own. Perfectly. WTF? Of course a HUGE jackpot there.

My dog is starting to scare me...I was considering teaching him to open doors or open the refrigerator, but now I don't think I want to...
Old 02-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
So I figured why not, and told him "weave" and watched what happened. He actually did it on his own. Perfectly. WTF? Of course a HUGE jackpot there.
Congrats!

What do you mean by this???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
So a few months ago I started some basic agility stuff (actually, it was initially why I found this place lol). Anyway, we kind of did some weaves then, but it was with the poles almost flat on the ground, and he liked to jump over them rather than run down the line.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

I assume she started teaching weaves using "weave-a-matics" or slant weaves. They pivot on the base, so you can initially set them at angles - the dog sees \/ as they look down the center. So they run down the center, and you gradually bring them more upright. One of a million different ways to teach weaves.

It's great that your dog is catching on so fast! The one thing I would really suggest IF you are intending to compete at some point is not to use the command weave yet. Remember, dogs pair the word with the behavior they are doing when they hear it. So only use the command when they are performing the way you want. You don't want a slow, lured set of weaves, so wait until they are fast and independent before you start using your command. If you are just playing around with it for fun, do as you like .

Old 02-05-2010, 03:28 AM
Puppy Dog

Haha, congrats! He is so smart. I think there is less harm to teach him open doors or open the refrigerator. Just don't teach him to answer phone calls.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Just try me..

I agree with BB don't add the cue. And practice entries from all angles before doing lots of poles. (so if your set is a 6 pole set, only put two or three poles on and work entries) I know lots of people who train using a few methods to really cement weaves.

Personally I would never lure (as it usually results in slow weave performances) but if it worked for you thats great.

Pics or vids lol.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 AM
petperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Haha, congrats! He is so smart. I think there is less harm to teach him open doors or open the refrigerator. Just don't teach him to answer phone calls.
And especially don't teach him to MAKE phone calls. Especially to 900 numbers! That's one smart puppy you have there. It's just not fair that he be so cute ALSO.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

Isn't it amazing how some dogs seem to just know how to do things? Jack "learned" how to weave relatively, but one of the JRTs I've been half trying to teach for some time and she just does't get it like Jack did. I've been so spoiled with an easy learner I'm afraid I don't have the patience to teach "normal" dogs anymore ps. Jack knows how to open the fridge to get things on command and is a total food hound but has never done it to steal food. Even if there's food in it when he's getting the beer he ignores it.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Top Dog

what a smart dog! *thumbs up*! hehe
Old 02-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

Yes, the weave-o-matics are what I did before, but they weren't actually weave-o-matic poles. They were wooden dowels stuck in the ground But as he's addicted to jumping, jumping over the slanted poles was more appealing than weaving through them lol

I haven't decided yet if we're actually going to compete or not. If we ever do, it will be a while. I just started rally classes this week (I could train him on my own, but I have no idea how to even enter a show, so I'd rather be walked through the ins and outs of events too). The one reason I'm holing back on competing in agility is because he doesn't have the best hips. I don't want to overdo it. So for now, yeah, we're just messing around. There's no way we could get up any speed in my apartment to do "proper" weaving.

Hot dog retrieve is next
Old 02-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I taught Smidgen the weaves in one day luring her. She got the idea and thought it was the greatest invention ever! I have to put my poles away when not practicing because she weaves for fun and makes incorrect entries, etc.

Congrats on picking it up so fast. I've seen a few dogs who either do it slow or never quite get the concept ... Good luck with the hot dog retrieve.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)