Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Top Dog

Default I've caught this aquarium thing that's going around

Okay, now I want a community tank. I would really like a mystery snail, a crawfish, and a couple of fish. (i was reading that as long as the fish are larger than the crawfish it shouldn't bother them). IDK about the crawfish and the snail, though. I saw on a forum that someone else did keep them together.

Any suggestions on fish? I would like about 3 fish (besides the crawfish and/or snail).

What size tank?

Which fish do you add first and how long in between adding new ones?

How long do you have to let the tank run before adding anything?

I am prepared for this to be a very long process. I just need a hobby, lol. I am heading to the flea market to look for cheap aquariums now. (not prepared to purchase today, just seeing what's available, maybe put something on layaway.) Also may check out a bookstore to see if I can find a guide or dummy book on freshwater community tanks.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm All Ears

Mwahaha, that's all I have to say.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

what size tank are you looking to do?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Top Dog

I though crayfish were potentially aggressive and you weren't supposed to house them with fish?

At any rate, I suggest:

a dwarf frog!

I'm trying to pimp these things to everybody because they're pretty cool. They stay really small and don't need any land.

Good for variety, but of course you have to watch what you put in with them or they'll get eaten

And do you mean three individual fish or three fish species?
Because most smallish fish are schooling fish and like to have some same-species friends. It also looks better (IMO).

Look at platies and mollies and guppies.

Last edited by Xandra; 02-01-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Salty Sea Dog

crayfish (or crawfish) are fast, get relitivly large and ive seen them catch fast swimmers.

if your dead set on a crayfish id personally get him his very own 10 gallon tank, keep him and only him in the tank unless your planning on him eating whatever you add.
feeder guppies (there fancy guppies without the super fancy tails) are a nice addition because there cheap and safe for him to eat (set up a second 10 gallon with good filtration and rasie your own guppies for free food!)

they do not mix well in a community tank and while it might take him some time he will eventually eat anythign you add.
they are very cool though.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 02-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
crayfish (or crawfish) are fast, get relitivly large and ive seen them catch fast swimmers.

if your dead set on a crayfish id personally get him his very own 10 gallon tank, keep him and only him in the tank unless your planning on him eating whatever you add.
feeder guppies (there fancy guppies without the super fancy tails) are a nice addition because there cheap and safe for him to eat (set up a second 10 gallon with good filtration and rasie your own guppies for free food!)

they do not mix well in a community tank and while it might take him some time he will eventually eat anythign you add.
they are very cool though.
I was afraid of that. Oh well, I may do a crawfish in his own tank (sorry, I am cajun and I just cant bring myself to spell it any other way, lol.)

As for a community tank what could I do in a 20 gal tank w/ a mystery snail? I do like the frog that was suggested. What other fish can I put w/ it (and the snail)? I would like to do just a couple of med size fish (same or diff species) but w/ that tank size I know I may need to do small school fish.

I have a 20 gal aquarium but I am not opposed to buying a different one. I dont want to go much bigger than 29 gallons just cause the tanks are so expensive but if I can find a good deal on a used one I am willing to go up to 40.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Salty Sea Dog

a 29 gal would gefintaly open up ALOT of options in terms fo fish...

mystery snails will do well with almost anything.
theres only 3 fish id NEVER put with snails and thats gobies, kribensis and puffers (all 3 will eat snaisl right out of their shells)

frogs
make sure your looking at african DWARF frogs, african clawed frogs are often mistakingly sold as dwarfs but they are bigger and can grow up to 5 inches, clawed frogs will eat fish...
dwarf frogs only grow to an inch or so and are fairly peacefull.

they would go well with mysteries and id probably go with 3 froggies.
there relitlvly slow eaters so its not typically suggested to mix them with fast moving fish as theyll often get all the food stolen before the froggies get chance to eat.
the frogs should be fed a frog frog food as fish flakes/pellets are not well rounded for frogs.

with frogs make sure the top fits VERY well.
i like to put screen netting over any holes that arnt needed lol.

in terms of what to keep with them
rule of thumb, even well fed froggies will fit anything that fits in their mouth. luckily with dwarf frogs they are small so baby guppies and neon tetra tend to be the only ones realy at fisk.

if you want color, my biggest suggestion would be guppies, the frogs will take care of the babies and the guppies will add ALOT of color and movment to the upper 1/3 of your tank.
(i love guppies in the right tank) platties and mollies are also a good suggestion.

but heres a suprise for you...as long as your making sure the frogs are getting food they can be kept with ANY fish including some of the typically agressive fish.

cherry and rosey barbs are lovely schooling fish with good size stick with 3 or more of each type.
tigers would work if you have enough, less than 5 tigers theyd probably pick on the frogs...
leopard and zebra danios are always a nice fast moving additon to any tank!
Guppies would be a realy nice choice, brightly colord contansly moving and the frogs will take care of the extra babies...
Killifish are great little fish but can be hard to find
rasboras would also be nice
and almost all of the tetras.

personally id go with a 29 gallon (29's are nice for future planning as its that size you can keep pretty much anything in...)
3 snails
3 frogs
5 male guppies (or 2 males 4 females) (guppies in male/female shoudl be kept 1 male to 2females typically to avoid agression, all male with no female are less likley to fight)
5 black neon or glowlight tertra
2 dwarf or 1 pearl gourami (as long as they have a large plant each they shouldnt bother eachother or the guppies in a tank as big as a 29 gallon.

thatll put you at about 20 inches of fish giving you room to add another schooling type (in my case id do killifish as they are just plain awesome, but a trio of corydora would work well too!)

Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Omigosh - you guys are making me want a tank sooooo bad. I have a 10gal in my parents attic, even. must.... resist....

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 02-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
a 29 gal would gefintaly open up ALOT of options in terms fo fish...

mystery snails will do well with almost anything.
theres only 3 fish id NEVER put with snails and thats gobies, kribensis and puffers (all 3 will eat snaisl right out of their shells)

frogs
make sure your looking at african DWARF frogs, african clawed frogs are often mistakingly sold as dwarfs but they are bigger and can grow up to 5 inches, clawed frogs will eat fish...
dwarf frogs only grow to an inch or so and are fairly peacefull.

they would go well with mysteries and id probably go with 3 froggies.
there relitlvly slow eaters so its not typically suggested to mix them with fast moving fish as theyll often get all the food stolen before the froggies get chance to eat.
the frogs should be fed a frog frog food as fish flakes/pellets are not well rounded for frogs.

with frogs make sure the top fits VERY well.
i like to put screen netting over any holes that arnt needed lol.

in terms of what to keep with them
rule of thumb, even well fed froggies will fit anything that fits in their mouth. luckily with dwarf frogs they are small so baby guppies and neon tetra tend to be the only ones realy at fisk.

if you want color, my biggest suggestion would be guppies, the frogs will take care of the babies and the guppies will add ALOT of color and movment to the upper 1/3 of your tank.
(i love guppies in the right tank) platties and mollies are also a good suggestion.

but heres a suprise for you...as long as your making sure the frogs are getting food they can be kept with ANY fish including some of the typically agressive fish.

cherry and rosey barbs are lovely schooling fish with good size stick with 3 or more of each type.
tigers would work if you have enough, less than 5 tigers theyd probably pick on the frogs...
leopard and zebra danios are always a nice fast moving additon to any tank!
Guppies would be a realy nice choice, brightly colord contansly moving and the frogs will take care of the extra babies...
Killifish are great little fish but can be hard to find
rasboras would also be nice
and almost all of the tetras.

personally id go with a 29 gallon (29's are nice for future planning as its that size you can keep pretty much anything in...)
3 snails
3 frogs
5 male guppies (or 2 males 4 females) (guppies in male/female shoudl be kept 1 male to 2females typically to avoid agression, all male with no female are less likley to fight)
5 black neon or glowlight tertra
2 dwarf or 1 pearl gourami (as long as they have a large plant each they shouldnt bother eachother or the guppies in a tank as big as a 29 gallon.

thatll put you at about 20 inches of fish giving you room to add another schooling type (in my case id do killifish as they are just plain awesome, but a trio of corydora would work well too!)
Suppose I decide to stick w/ the 20 gallon tank that I already have. What would you eliminate? Or would you just stick w/ the ones listed and not add another school?

Also what would be the best to put in first to get the nitrogen cycle started? and how long do you let the tank run before adding the starter species?
After I add the starter species what order would you add the rest of the fish in?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Salty Sea Dog

in a 20 i just wouldnt add the extra group quite honestly the grouping shoudl work well in a 20 or a 29 the 29 just has more height.

personally i set mine up and let it run for about 2 weeks adding just a tiny little bit of fish food every other day (the decomposing fish food kickstarts the cycle)
id suggest investing in a water test kit, even the strips are better than nothing and then id start with the snails, they would be gentlest on the cycle and there also very hardy, make sure to feed them they will nibble on fish flakes but i always like to add a couple of thawed frozen pees with snails in a new tank when theres no algea for them to snack on.
test your water after a week, if everything seems level id then add the guppies, belive it or not they are rather hardy little fish if from good stock...then id add the tetra or frogs the gourami would be last, being they woudl eb the most territorial its best to have your other fish set up their own territories first otherwise the gourami may terrorize them.

killis if you decided to go with them would be the last id add because of all of them there a litle more sensitive.