Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
I saw one once shaved down and at first thought that it was the biggest poodle that I'd ever seen. Then I realized what it was. I think that I'd like the temperament, and and REALLY love not having dog hair everywhere!
My friend with her old boy who's shaved and she gives him funky hair cuts which confuses everyone. One time she grooms him like a poodle the next a pwd or lets him grow out. Usually she gets oh look a poodle with a tail when he's in a poodle clip or oh look a golded-doodle when he's grown out. I know I got that when Mac was still fluffy oh a golden-doodle puppy i've never seen one that big and white or I got one just like him at home! What is he? Oh mine's not that. LOL As long as you keep cords no matter the length you wont have the hair it just rolls into the cord, but you do get it in the puppy fluff stage just not as bad cause the coat is trying to form cords and they do shed when the are shaved short.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Active Pup

Siberian Husky

GENERAL DESCRIPTION: a medium-size, dense-coat sled dog breed that originated in eastern Siberia.

Acceptable colors: The most common colors are black and white, red and white, gray and white, and solid white. Solid Black, Sable, and Wolf Grey are often seen in working lines. Piebald spotting is allowed by the standard. Merle is NOT an acceptable coloring regardless of certain breeders now claiming it is-they are likely ACD/Aussie mixes.
Colors of the Siberian Husky

Temperament: Friendly, alert, playful, active.

Height:20-23 1/2 inches.

Weight: 35-60 pounds

Health Problems: PRA, Cataracts, Corneal Distrophy, Hypothyroidism. Less commonly Hip Displasia.

Exercise: A balance of physical exercise and mental stimulation are needed. Expect to give 1-2 hours of solid physical exercise a day, obedience training in addition helps to tire their mind. A bored husky can easily chew through a wall or disembowel your couch, always exercise to avoid mass distruction! These are dogs who were breed and born to run and run they will, all exercise should be in an enclosed area or on a leash. Their independent nature, drive to run, and prey drive combined make them poor candiates to be offleash without extensive training(even then for some the lure of prey or drive to run is just too much). Look into recreational sledding, bikejoring, or carting for easy and fun ways to exercise your sibe.

Life Expectancy: 15 years

Groomingouble coat, medium in length, sometimes seen with a "wooly" coat which although is not standard. Coat keeps relatively well when brushed weekly though daily brushing is reccomended to reduce the amount of hair during coat blows. These dogs blow their coats twice a year. Expect EVERYTHING to be plastered in hair, you will eat, sleep, and breath hair for a month during the coat blowing process.

What to look for in a breeder: Shows/Works their dogs, does OFA hips/ CERF eyes, Genetic testing through Optigen for PRA is a plus.

Ideal living conditions: While their coats can withstand bad winter weather, Sibes are truly pack animals and are happiest with their humans. Crate training is suggested due to their destructive tendancies when bored.

"Ideal" owner: Active outdoorsy family. Winter sports lovers.

Trainability: Siberians are brilliant dogs though with their independent nature they can become bored of training rather quick. We find that keeping training sessions short and using jackpot rewards of whatever motivates the individual dog we can train them quite easily. These dog however are not the best pick if you want to be extremely competitive in sport competitions.

Other traits: Good with children, strangers and other dogs. Rarely same sex aggressive even among unaltered dogs if properly socialized however, they do have a very rough and tumble play style which may not match well with some dogs. Very high prey drive, so they should not be trusted with small animals (sometimes will do well with even small dogs). Poor guard dogs because of their love for people, they will rarely bark to alert. Escape artist extrodinaire, if there is a way out they will find it, if not they will make one. Without sufficent exercise these dogs can wreck havoc on your home, we've seen walls chewed through, couches eaten, etc. Behavioral problems common to the breed are seperation anxiety, resource guarding, boredom destruction, and pulling on leash.

Useful links for those who want to own/know more about this breed:
(good breeders, breed info sites, clubs, etc..)
Siberian Husky Club of America, Inc.
The Siberian Husky Forum
Welcome to the Siberian Husky Health Foundation Website
ISHC: International Siberian Husky Club
Colors of the Siberian Husky - Siberian Husky Breed Information
Siberian Husky Behavior Information
Old 07-17-2010, 04:37 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Chow-chow

GENERAL DESCRIPTION: In general the chow is a proud dog that when in gait holds its head and tail high. The body should be "square" in overall build with the length of body matching the dog's height. A chow is a medium sized dog and is typically very strong. They can be either rough or smooth with the rough coat being thick and fluffed out and the smooth coat being short and rough. Their muzzle should be short or slightly pushed back, but should not be pushed in to the point that it becomes "pug-like". Their tail curls over their back in a spitz-type manner. The ears should be small and erect.

acceptable colors: Blue, cinnamon, cream, black, red. red and cinnamon often display black or otherwise darker masks that will get lighter as the dog ages

Temperament:
This breed is more independent than most other breeds. It requires strict socializing early on in it's life to prevent any aggression problems. The breed itself is more cat-like in it's independence and does not cary a strong drive to please. They are very devoted and loving to their families but are often standoffish with strangers. This is not to be confused with aggression. This dog is very intelligent though they hold a stubbornness that will make them seem otherwise. They have a very laid back attitude. Displays of aggression or timidity are unacceptable.

Height: 17-20 in (43-51 cm), but may vary.

Weight: 40-75 pounds

Health Problems: This breed is susceptible to death under anesthesia. At all times a vet should be aware of this breed's susceptibility to the drug. A very minimal dose should be used for any surgeries or exams that require sedation. Dogs have been known to pass away while under.

Their rear legs are very straight and this often results in ruptured or torn Cruciate Ligaments. This is a painful situation that often requires surgical care.

Chows are prone to "hot spots" of dermatitis that can be highly irritating. This appears as patches of skin that are hotter than the surrounding area that may appear red, scabby, scaled, or bumpy.

Ectropion - the inward rolling of the eyelashes - sometimes occurs in this breed. This is painful and requires medical attention.

Enlongated soft palettes occur in poorly bred dogs. This needs to be diagnosed by a veterinarian. This condition can cause issues with the dog's respiratory system including difficulty breathing. It is possible to cure by surgery.

Hypothyroidism, Seborrhea, Heat Stroke, Elbow Dysplacia, Bloat and Inguinal Hernia are also all health concerns.

Exercise: This is a laid-back breed that while not superbly energetic will still benefit from a daily walking schedule. Ideally they should be walked at least once a day for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Life Expectancy:
These dogs have been known to live as long as 17 years.

Grooming:
This dog should be brushed every other day to prevent matts and bathed monthly. Bathing can happen more often if you so prefer so long as a gentle shampoo is used.

What to look for in a breeder:
Breeders should be aware of all health conditions in the dogs, should have completed all appropriate health tests, should only breed their females a maximum of 3 times, should breed dogs that will produce offspring that will excel as according to the standard (instead of dogs they think would make pretty babies), and should take care of their dogs. All dogs should be of prime health. Good breeders should allow you to tour their breeding kennel, including the runs and anywhere else they keep the dogs. Breeders should not be breeding for faults and should be properly sterilizing any dog that does not fit into the standard. (really this is just the same as finding any other breeder). Above most other things, Breeders should be aware of the Anesthesia danger in the breed.

Ideal living conditions:
The ideal living conditions for this breed is a small to medium-sized yard for natural exercising. They can live in an apartment life fine but dogs in an apartment environment are often less active.

"Ideal" owner:
The ideal owner should be firm and assertive and always consistent. Because of their independence, stubbornness, and intelligence, a chow-chow will find your boundaries and limits and test them. This intelligent breed requires an equally intelligent owner that is going to spend time with their dog encouraging the correct behaviors.

Trainability:
Chow-chows are a stubborn breed that do not often have a strong desire to please. However, with consistency and finding a good motivator (favorite treat, or toy) they are moderately easy to train. They may, however, take longer to learn commands than many other breeds.

Other traits: Chow-chows should never be left alone with small animals. These dogs were meant to be pulling dogs and are often happy when put to work. A carrying pack or a small cart would be ideal for these dogs to "help" around the house. If raised and socialized well they will cope well with children, kids, other dogs, pets, and strangers. However, lack of socialization in these fields is going to create hard to change issues. These breeds prefer cold to heat, unless shaven.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Resident fainting goat

those chows are so...FLUFFEHH!!! lol
Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo and Tucker&Me
Border Collie

GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Border Collie originated from the Scotland/England border. This is where the name the "Border" Collie came from. Border Collies are among the world's smartest dog breeds. They are highly trainable with lightning fast responses and alertness to anything its owner is doing. The Border Collie is a working dog. They are used by many farms and ranchers to move any type of stock. Today, Border Collies are used in many dog sports, but it's original purpose is to be a stock dog. The Border Collie is a breed that has a large split within the show and working bred dogs.

Acceptable colors: Any.

Temperament: The Border Collie is intense to most average owners. They are generally very willing to please there owner for as little as a petting from them.

Height: 18-22in. But anything is accepted.

Weight: 20-50lbs. Again, anything is accepted.

Health Problems: Epilepsy, Hip Dysplasia, PRA, CEA (Collie Eye Anomaly), and deafness.

Exercise: They require daily exercise, but working bred Border Collies should have a good off switch. More so then physical exercise, the border collie requires mental stimulation. They thrive on having a job and are happiest when they have something to do, be it exercising on a walk or putting away toys in their toy box at home. Being worked physically is just the beginning. To enrich the lives of these dogs it is essential to provide them with mental challenges through training and dog sports like herding, agility, flyball, etc. When exercising a Border Collie, most particularly in hot weather, keep an eye out for signs of heat exhaustion. They are very focused and intense on whatever task they are doing, so they may not stop when they reach their physical limit.

Life Expectancy: They are expected to live fairly long. Usually about 12-16 years.

Grooming: They require little daily grooming. Most Border Collies have a nice wash 'n wear type coat.

What to look for in a breeder: The best type of breeder to look for when wanting a Border Collie is one that works his/her dogs in herding. Even though bred for stock work, these dogs come with great off switches and excel in many other dog sports. It is also crucial to make sure all parents are tested for genetic diseases and that epilepsy doesn't exist in the family tree.
Ideal living conditions: Any, as long as it has the right, dedicated owner.

"Ideal" owner: Someone who wants a shadow, intelligence, and a dog that gives 110% in everything, and is also prepared to give back 110% to this dog.
Trainability: Very, very high.

Other traits: (good with kids, cats, other dogs, pets, strangers.... likes the cold, likes the heat... activities/sports the breed does well in): They can either be a child's best friend or worst enemy. If in the right hands, they love children. They do well meeting other dogs and should be taught to do well. It is important to also take into consideration that the breed can be aloof, no matter how well socialized. If someone wants a dog that will be around lots of children, it is important to find the right breeder that is aware of this and can help in choosing the most suitable, outgoing puppy. These dogs do not always get along well with other dogs. Many are 'offended' by dogs that are rambunctious or crowd them, so prepare to socialize a lot and be aware of your dog's threshold. Border Collies seem to recognize other dogs of their breed, and although they can communicate well with any type of dog, for some dogs, the intensity and staring of a BC can seem threatening.

Useful links for those who want to own/know more about this breed:
(good breeders, breed info sites, clubs, etc..): USBCHA, ABCA, BC Boards, Little Hats.
Ok, I made some additions and corrected some typos.
Also, I made the distinction between PRA and CEA because although they're similar, they are different diseases.

ETA: I think it's important to at least mention show border collies, because as a dog breed info source, it should appear unbiased.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
ETA: I think it's important to at least mention show border collies, because as a dog breed info source, it should appear unbiased.
I think that is a fabulous point and fully agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 AM
and Spy.

^..... what? lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:02 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

It's one of those "make a post and put a link to your site between random words" spammers.
Now, if I could figure out WTF that post means, it might be interesting.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Resident fainting goat

Bump Bumpity Bump! lol I wanna see more of these!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
Yes, but IMO it should be done seperately. I did the first one from a working view point.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l