Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Top Dog

Default Show bred Malinois

Just doing my daily kennel surfing, and I'm wondering if anyone know of a breeder who breeds Malinois for the show ring. Farther down my life, I'm might get a Mal, but more than likely it will be a show bred rather than a working bred.

So anyone know of any kennels in mind?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Top Dog

why get a working breed for a show ring?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
why get a working breed for a show ring?

From what I heard about Malinois, the show bred ones aren't that different from the working bred. They don't really have the wide split like other breeds, so why not? When I say show, I mean a dog that has won points in the show ring, but it is also being worked in other sports as well.

Not to mention I heard working bred Malinois never get tired, so I want a Mal with a lot of drive and energy, but with a good off switch. Keep in mind that right now I'm just researching, and don't want to purchase any dog.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Top Dog

Correction: Working ''line'' Malinois. Not Working bred.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Not a lurker

Well, I will say this. What is the point of getting a working breed if you do not like the working breed temperament.

If you don't want a dog that will herd, don't get a Border Collie. If you don't want a guardian dog, don't get a Rottweiler, if you don't want a dog that is intended to work, don't get a Malinois.

Unfortunately, it's been "pretty" that wins over functional. Of course there are just some dogs that are of a different temperament, but it their function is to work, and IMO that should not be intentionally bred out of them for the show ring. It's those kind of breeders that are attributing to the deleterious conditions of many of our most loved breeds today, and I would not support them.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Plus One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post
Well, I will say this. What is the point of getting a working breed if you do not like the working breed temperament.

If you don't want a dog that will herd, don't get a Border Collie. If you don't want a guardian dog, don't get a Rottweiler, if you don't want a dog that is intended to work, don't get a Malinois.

Unfortunately, it's been "pretty" that wins over functional. Of course there are just some dogs that are of a different temperament, but it their function is to work, and IMO that should not be intentionally bred out of them for the show ring. It's those kind of breeders that are attributing to the deleterious conditions of many of our most loved breeds today, and I would not support them.
this
Old 01-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post

Hey, hey, please don't misunderstand! I don't want to get a no good, no drive Malinois bred for looks and nothing but. I like a dog with a lot of drive and energy. For the Malinois, I want to get a dog that is bred for show AND working ability. Best of both worlds in my opinion. I can work my dog, and in the same time show him in a competition.

IMO, the people who are able to keep to the standard and the same time work their dogs in the field they are intended to work, are the best breeders. I know that there are breeds that have been ruined by show, but Malinois isn't one of them. You wont see me any where near the show bred GSD or border collies.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahla9999 View Post
I know that there are breeds that have been ruined by show, but Malinois isn't one of them. You wont see many any where near the show bred GSD or border collies.
Actually, show ring malis are oversized.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 01-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Actually, show ring malis are oversized.
Any kennel links for me to see this difference? Again, people, this is RESEARCHING.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahla9999 View Post
Any kennel links for me to see this difference? Again, people, this is RESEARCHING.
None at the moment.

I have researched. Not by looking at websites, but by owning working line males and by going to dog shows and seeing show bred malis in person.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team