Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 01-29-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm All Ears

Default How much time do you spend grooming?

Just curious.

Per week I may do some grooming, may not. It depends.

I usually brush them out 2-3 times a month which takes maybe 2 minutes. Once a month (sometimes more if they've played in the mud a lot) I spend time loading them into the tub and washing them. Then I spend about 40 minutes doing some trimming and such of their feet. That's about it.

I really skimp on the grooming here, lol. It's less than an hour for both all month. I should try to be better about it.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

Your's always look great ! I do about the same and feel guilty .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Yorkie Love

Every 6 to 8 weeks they go to the groomer so she does the heavy lifting so to speak.

Everyday I brush their teeth and do a little combing which takes about 10 minutes per dog.

About twice a week I do a thorough brushing which takes about 30 minutes per dog.

Every two weeks or so I bathe them and blow them out which takes about an hour per dog.

I may clip or trim something on an as needed basis.

It seems like a lot of upkeep to people with wash and wear dogs but I am so used to it that it really doesnt seem like a lot.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Resident fainting goat

No time really lol Romeo gets bathed when he get dirty (usually about once a month) and brushed for 10 minutes or so every week and thats only because he likes it lol theres really no need
Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Muffin usually gets a bath about once a month(norm correlates to when he finds a dead fish).

As far as being brushed, his hair isn't really long enough to need it. I have a furminator thing that I use on a daily basis for a week or so when he's blowing his coat... that's about it. If he happens to get a small amount of mudd on him I will brush it out once it's dried.

Nails... takes me like 40 mintues or so every 3-4 weeks.

Haven't had Wash long enough to comment on him.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

I used to bathe the 3Ms every two weeks, since I'm pregnant, I bathe them every three weeks... After the baby, depend on how busy/tired I am, it'll either switch back to every two weeks, or extend to every month

I brush Mocha & Muffin at least twice a week, even though they never have any mattes or tangles on their hairs. It's our "special time" when they enjoy getting my undivided attention, and I enjoy theirs..

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Sport Model Pug

I Furminate maybe twice a month... Clean wrinkles when they get dirty... Do nails weekly (Pug nails grow ridiculously fast for some reason)... And i only bathe them if they smell or rolled in mud or if Izzie is going to therapy or something.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 01-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

A few minutes if that every week or so just brushing him out... it sounds bad but honestly Auggie doesn't really need a lot of grooming. People always ask me "OMG, you must brush him EVERY DAY!" Err... no. Actually I think the last time I brushed him was a few weeks ago after a bath when I line brushed him afterwards. He had a slobber spot on his neck that I was going to grab a brush and brush out really quick (literally, it takes a few swipes of the brush), but then he went and played in the snow so that took care of that...

About once a month I'll do serious grooming, which if it includes a good brushing, clipping nails, trimming - I timed myself once and it took an hour to do EVERYTHING. Obviously that doesn't include a bath and drying time... bath itself takes maybe 20 minutes? We wrestle in towels to get a lot of the water off, I let him air dry for a while, then usually finish blowdrying him - or let him run around and play outside when the weather is nice, because he dries off so nicely outside in the sun and heat! So I've never really calculated drying time. It's pretty ridiculous but I only give him a bath whenever he stinks which is maybe every 6-8 weeks depending on what he's been up to/gotten into!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-29-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm All Ears

yeah that's why I asked. I always always get asked about grooming and I see papillons listed on dog breed websites as high grooming requirements and I laugh. My shelties were pretty much like Auggie sounds too. I think a lot of longhaired breeds are easier than they appear lol.

It takes me about 3 hours to do all 5 at a time, full bath and groom though.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Professional Groomer

I brush and bathe Zeke about once every two weeks. He gets full groomed every month, but I'm a groomer so I love to do it . I spend about an hour doing the bath, blow-dry, brush-out, nails, and ear cleaning. Depending on how challenging I make his cut it can take anywhere from 3 to 4 hours to do the whole sha-bang. But I spend about 40 hrs a week grooming :P