Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
'''''''''''''two of my Goldens were already under for surgery ..... as painful as it was I let them go at that point ~~~ basically I'd said my goodbyes and I didn't want them to wake up to more pain .
I've seen that a few times too. And I believe it's absolutely right.

Quote:
For me as a human, if I lost my sight, then put me down. But most people wouldn't think that was enough to be put down. [Btw, think it is ridiculous that we don't allow euthanasia for humans].
I'm not that way - really, I don't think I'd mind losing my sight (and it may actually happen sometime down the road). I don't know if it's because I've come to terms with the possibility, or that I realize "blind" isn't always legally blind, and indeed I lived 2 years functionally blind and didn't even realize it until I had an eye exam and got glasses. Or maybe it's because I've been exposed to so many people that are blind and live very good lives. Heck sometimes I even close my eyes or take off my glasses and wander around just because I'm bored lol But I do understand the point you're making.

My mom has said that she'd rather die than lose a limb, particularly a leg. Personally, I'd rather lose both legs than an arm, but even if I lost an arm, or both arms, I'd still rather have that happen than die.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:08 AM
and Fozzie B!

I'm very torn on the issue... : /

There are people who board their dogs with us 5 days a week, because the dog cannot be alone, is completely incontinent, and/or needs constant attention, meds, etc to keep living. It makes me so sad. There is a Peke mix named Chelsea who comes in... she does not even look like a dog. Her fur was shaved and cannot grow back, she feels like a stuffed animal, her face is so sad and she can just barely slink around for a few minutes. She looks like she's 20 years old and she's only 8. Apparently her liver failed and she cannot be fed any protein. We have to feed her a salad of sprouts, broccoli, carrots and tomatoes with RANCH - and she rarely eats. I want to cry when I see her... you cannot pick her up, because her stomach is so painful.

But she's so happy and gets a burst of energy when she sees her Mom. She's a very sweet person for spending so much money and time on keeping her dog alive, and I just feel bad for her. I know it would be a very difficult choice, but I don't think I would let my dogs live like that. A skeleton that can barely function? As far as the "thou shall not kill" belief... that's a nice thought, but in reality, if these dogs weren't given constant care and attention they would have probably died naturally a long time ago. We have the power and science to keep them alive way past their natural lifespan, as well as to let them go peacefully.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 01-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
We have the power and science to keep them alive way past their natural lifespan, as well as to let them go peacefully.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Top Dog

I often just wonder if people are so busy, wrapped up in their own lives or cowards by protecting themselves from some hurt. I was shocked when I was told of the elderly people that died alone in the hospital because their families didn't come and see them and left them to die alone.
So if people are capable of that, then leaving their animal/pet for someone else to PTS isn't hard to believe.