Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Navy Sister

Quote:
dropping them off to die whenever, be it 3 hours or 3 weeks, and not even seeing them again.
Yeah, that fits under my definition of selfishness. When a person makes an animal suffer physically so that they don't have to suffer as much emotionally, I do think that person is selfish.

Quote:
I know a woman who was 100% against euthanasia - even in very very sick animals. She said something along the lines of Thou shall not kill or whatever. She also said if it was really okay to do, then we'd do it to humans when they're sick as well.
I view this reasoning differently as I would assume that this person was staying with their animal until their final passing.
knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:46 PM
tessa_s212

Dustin has a family member that purposely let their dog die of bloat. They didn't euthanize, they held hte dog in their arms until it died. And their other died of cancer?? they said, in their arms.

I don't understand either. If it is for religious reasons.. Okay, I'll accept that..
And I'll even can be sympathetic that some people feel they need to do everything in their power before giving up, or some peopel don't believe in giving up ever..

I guess it boils down to everyone has their own way of coping with losing a pet, and moreso some people have religous beliefs that says they shouldn't kill their pet, not even to relieve suffering.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

Three of my dogs may have lasted a week or a month ~~ if it's a painful time for them , let them go . I had my Bear at the vets on IVs for kidney failure and got a call at noon saying I could pick him up at 4 PM. I was thrilled , but when I got there he'd taken a turn for the worse . The vet said that he'd never make it though the night . I'd never put a dog to sleep , but no way could I have left him to die alone .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-28-2010, 04:02 PM
petperson

Quote:
I know a woman who was 100% against euthanasia - even in very very sick animals. She said something along the lines of Thou shall not kill or whatever. She also said if it was really okay to do, then we'd do it to humans when they're sick as well.
I've had to put down several animals, and it never, ever gets easier--for me. But if I were that sick and in pain, I sure wouldn't mind dying that way: going gently, wrapped in the arms of love.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 PM
and Spy.

I hope I make the decision at the right time.

What irks me though is when people drop off a pet to be euthanized. And I am sorry if anyone on here has done that, but I have just heard so many stories of animals being distressed because they can't find their owners right before the needle. So yeah, it is just something that bugs me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:44 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
What irks me though is when people drop off a pet to be euthanized. And I am sorry if anyone on here has done that, but I have just heard so many stories of animals being distressed because they can't find their owners right before the needle. So yeah, it is just something that bugs me.
that used to bother me, but it doesn't anymore. i guess, having helped with so very many euthanasias over the years, that i can better appreciate that some people just can't handle the idea of seeing their pet die, that they can't deal with the image they are left with of their pet being a dead body.

it could never be my choice. i *need* to be there. but i do understand now that sometimes it's done out of just not caring, but other times it's out of caring so very very much.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
tessa_s212

You know.. I can't ever imagine not being there with my pet, but I try not to judge. We've had some of hte most devoted, loving, wonderful owners simply NOT be able to be there when it is done. (Usually when they KNOW the animal will fight it, and it won't be an easy passing, and it'd just be too hard for them to watch.) So while I generally think it is cruel to send them off to be euthanized alone with a stranger, I know there are exceptions and reasons some people might do it.

ETA: I agree.. some people just can't stomach or watch their animal actually die. If I think back to Brownie or Ginger,.. I relived that moment over and over again in my grief. When I closed my eyes, I could see their body going limp, and their chest stop moving. I can still see it now, it is that vivid in my memory. I can understand how some people can't handle that or may not want that memory so vivid. Ginger fought it - and being there through that was HARD. It makes you second guess *everything*, of whether or not they are actually ready, when they are suffering and ready, but they just might not like the needle.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Let it be

I don't know why others won't but I know I have the ability to do it. If Bandit had lost all quality of life right now he'd go to be put to sleep. When I lived really far out in the country I killed a cat because she was not going to recover without medical attention and that was hours upon hours away. Some times things have to be done. I'm glad I'm able to make that choice for my dog if and when the time comes.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm All Ears

I think it's important to remember other people have different beliefs about these things and everyone reacts differently to these situations. I will not judge someone for their reactions during these times. I doubt any pet owner intentionally causes suffering when it's time for their pet to go.

I know my own actions when my mother passed away were criticized by some relatives. I was not there when she died nor did I go to see her body. I saw her the night before we pulled the plug and that was enough closure for me. That never set well with my grandmother.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Not a lurker

I've always been there if I could. Lily wasn't a choice, I couldn't go be there for her at the pound and they wouldn't release her. Smokey died with me petting his head.

I could have never left Smokey at the vets to linger on with cancer. It would have been cruel. I would hope that if euthanasia ever became legal for humans and I was suffering a prolonged and painful terminal illness, that someone would be kind enough to do it for me.

That being said, I've also been the person who has taken someone elses pet to be "put down", and had to be the person to put their animal down (and I'll leave it at that). That was incredibly hard to do as well, but I never judge them for what happened. They didn't have the means for the vets euthanasia bill (in excess of $200 that they didn't have) and they did not want to watch the suffering end in another quick way. I don't blame them for that, and I wouldn't have done it if I didn't care enough to not want to see their dog suffer anymore. More than anything, that memory haunts me, and that was 3 years ago.