Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Top Dog

Default Why do some people not euthanzie?

So we were discussing this briefly at work. I still don't understand anyone's reasoning behind this.

First, we have one client that does not believe in euthanasia. Instead, she brings her pets in to us when they're about to die, and WE have to watch them suffer their final moments. Both of the animals of hers that I've witnessed dying have died very slow and painful deaths due to organ failure. I think that if she's not willing to euthanize, then she should be there to witness those death. They really aren't easy to watch at all.

Then there's another client that has the means and the desire to do everything he can for his animals. He really does have the best of intentions. However, last year one of his dog went through a long, painful process of loss of function. There was really no hope of getting the dog back to any quality of life, and the dog really was in great pain despite being on numerous pain medications. He could not care for this dog himself (he's elderly), so he left her at the clinic for the week or two leading up to her death. He did eventually choose to euthanize, but in my opinion it was a month or two late. He recognized this and said he didn't want to do it again. Now he has another dog that has a lot of problems and has lost a lot of functioning. There really is no hope of the dog recovering to any real quality of life, and the dog appears to have given up himself. Yet he's trying his hardest to find something to fix this dog. He has no quality of life, and can't even eat on his own. I feel it was time to euthanize 2-4 weeks ago.

So, why do people put their animals through this? Do you think it's pure selfishness? Do you think they just don't recognize the agony their animals are going through? Or do they honestly believe that they are doing the right thing for their animals by not euthanizing?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

A very good question , and I hope that it isn't the cost ! It's the humane thing to do and once you have seen it done , you wish that you could go that way .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Love My Mutt <3

There are ethical reasons with some people. Some people it is just too hard to even fathom. I know that there are some vets out there who will NOT euthanize... it is their choice and they have the right to say no. Some people really do believe that nobody has the right to decide when an somebody, be it human or animal, should die other than God.

IMHO, I find it rude when people say "well, this should have been done this long ago". It is not their decision to make. If your clinic does not want to deal with it, then they do not have to take in the animal. They have the right to turn them away.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Puppy Dog

I've had to euhanize to of my furbabies, Roxy my boxer, there was a fluid build up around her heart, she was just basically paralyzed one day when i got home, rushed her to the vet, and they told me that they could drain the fluid, however she would not be allowed to run or play, and would need to come in regularily to have the fluid drained. No matter what, her life as she knew it was over, that fast. Roxy had so much energy until that day, that was her favorite thing to do, run and play, what she could no longer do. It was so hard because I thought she was perfectly healthy until that day when her life was in my hands. I did have her pts that day, because i knew she would never be happy not being able to run. The hardest thing i'd ever done. The other was a rat, he was a senior boy and had a brain tumor. It was hard, but no where near as hard, because I knew the day was going to come where i would have to have him pts, so i was able to spoil him rotten until his last day came. It is such a hard thing to do, which is how I can see some people unable to do it..I think some people just can't muster up the strength to choose for their pet's life to end. I looked at it as, putting its suffering to an end, but some people probably don't see it that way.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
There are ethical reasons with some people.
I know a woman who was 100% against euthanasia - even in very very sick animals. She said something along the lines of Thou shall not kill or whatever. She also said if it was really okay to do, then we'd do it to humans when they're sick as well.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 PM
<----Thanks Allie

People have problems "letting go."

We ourselves do everything and anything possible to cling to life, even if that means having a machine breathe or whatever for us. Since we love our animals(often times more) than we love ourselves we feel the need to go to the same extremes for them.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
A very good question , and I hope that it isn't the cost ! It's the humane thing to do and once you have seen it done , you wish that you could go that way .
The ones I'm thinking of, there is no way it is cost. Keeping them alive costs MUCH more. And we do often just do it for free, especially if the animal has a long history with us.

Quote:
IMHO, I find it rude when people say "well, this should have been done this long ago". It is not their decision to make. If your clinic does not want to deal with it, then they do not have to take in the animal. They have the right to turn them away.
My opinion is that we are free to discuss the subject here. I intentionally left out any identifying information or even specifics. I'm not going to go up to a client and say "You need to kill your dog now." We DO respect their wishes. If we didn't, what's to say we don't euthanize them anyway and just tell the owner they died? Just because I do not agree with their choice doesn't mean people don't have a right to do (or not do) something. I know that my lhasa should have been put to sleep long before she died, however I didn't realize that until shortly before she died as I had not really seen her in a long time, and when I did see her it was only briefly (she lived with my parents). Of course that is always a possibility, and I do understand that, and I acknowledge that it should have been done earlier, but I know that in the examples I gave the people DO have close contact with their animals on a daily basis.

I guess my biggest question is why do you dump your animals at a vet clinic to let them die, rather than choosing to stay with them, seeing as the end result is the same - the vet can't make it go any faster, nor can the vet delay the death any more. At the clinic they're in cages. At home they could be with you.

Quote:
Some people really do believe that nobody has the right to decide when an somebody, be it human or animal, should die other than God.
But WHY? I mean, it's really a difficult concept for me to grasp; I do not believe in a god of any sort, so it's hard for me to imagine why someone would believe so thoroughly that it is only up to a god to choose. I'm NOT trying to be rude, I really do just want it explained.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
I know a woman who was 100% against euthanasia - even in very very sick animals. She said something along the lines of Thou shall not kill or whatever. She also said if it was really okay to do, then we'd do it to humans when they're sick as well.
That's how this one person I mentioned is.

Personally, I think people should have the option to choose euthanasia for themselves, too. I mean a DNR order is one step away from it. What is wrong with letting people leave a euth order?

I know that once a client rationalized that if she wasn't allowed to die when she wanted (she had tried to commit suicide several times in the past), then her dog wasn't allowed to die either.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Just try me..

If they truely believed that only god had the right then, yes, why not stay with the animal.

I can't say what I will do when Dekka's time comes. I do know I had to make the decsion to put Riven down, orphaning her 3 day old foal. It was the kindest thing, the most humane thing, and an incrediably hard thing, to do. With Dekka I might be willing to do heroics to keep her here if it can be done with out much discomfort to her. Even if it only gives me a few more days with her.

But that would be the crucial part days with me.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
With Dekka I might be willing to do heroics to keep her here if it can be done with out much discomfort to her. Even if it only gives me a few more days with her.

But that would be the crucial part days with me.

That I understand. There's a idffernce between keeping your animal around a few more days at home to say goodbye, and dropping them off to die whenever, be it 3 hours or 3 weeks, and not even seeing them again.