Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-14-2010, 12:39 AM
Top Dog

Default How much can I expect to pay for a standard poodle?

Well, the search is on for my future SD. I emailed a standard poodle breeder in Arizona explaining my situation and asking about prices. They come highly recommended by someone who really knows her stuff.

My question is, what should I set as an approximate limit for a dog? Their dogs are all health tested (I wouldn't get one from a breeder that doesn't health test, given what I want the dog for), and they show in both conformation and hunting trials. They are really gorgeous dogs. They breed primarily for red and silver, however they have more colors. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a red poodle, though color isn't really important to me.

Anyway...I'm not familiar with prices in poodles, really, so I was just curious about what I could expect to pay. They haven't replied yet.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Salty Sea Dog

ive seen nice standards go for anything from $800 to $2000, i knwo, im not much help. lol

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Top Dog

Lol, it's a rough estimate, that's all I'm asking for

I initially set myself a limit of $2000.

I got an email back from the breeder, and they said they'll work with me on cost
Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Show Dog

I would assume it varies from place to place. The breeder mine came from charge $1,200 four years ago lol. Good luck, I could be wrong but I have always been told that the reds have more health problems in their lines than some of the other colors. I could of course be wrong about that but it's something I heard on a Poodle forum once lol. They are very beautiful though.

Savannah - 8 year old Standard Poodle
Skeeter - 7 year old Terrier mix
Quigley- 1 year old Bearded Dragon
Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Salty Sea Dog

if i were to ever get a standard id want a parti...which arnt a correct color...but i htink there lovely!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 01-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Papillon Fancier

Probably the prices will vary. In Papillons it is usually $1500 + for a good show dog. I have seen some breeders sell show dogs at $5000. So, I guess it really depends on the breeder, and the area you are in.

I really like white Standards. Though, I am starting to fall for the red. Lol

Proud Papillon fancier sinse '05. Cujo, my 4 yr old, heart dog, and River, my 12 month old, show dog/ princess.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Yorkie Love

Dont know but wanted to say good luck!

I love the reds (and browns and blacks, lol)

I am going to be so jealous if you get one
Old 01-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Top Dog

It's not a question of if, it's WHEN

This breeder health tests all their dogs, so I'm not worried about health issues. They have also placed other dogs successfully as service dogs.

Not all their dogs are red, but they breed primarily for red and silver. The specific breeding they mentioned to me would not produce red pups (I don't think), but would definitely produce silver in the pups. I adore silver, though of course color isn't important.

If anyone's interested/curious, this is the link: Dark Red and Silver Hunting Poodles
Old 01-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Top Dog

I love standards I have a soft spot for the partis as well. There is a black and white girl who comes in to the clinic I work and and she's just lovely
Old 01-15-2010, 11:23 PM
<------RIP Superdog

1200-2000$ is the average for a pet quality puppy. I am currently looking at breeders for my next standard, so i have seen some price variations. I personally would not pay more then 2000$ though.

I would be very wary of most red breeders. There are very few actually good red breeders around. Red is the hot new color, so that is bred for above all else (including health and temperament).

Just be sure to actually visit the breeder before putting any deposit down. Make sure the dogs are healthy and have good temperaments. Since you want this as a service dog, make sure the parents have nice calm, even temperaments (not hyper to hunt all the time).