Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Slowly but surely......

Default Prey Drive

Do labs and or pitbulls have high prey drives? I'm trying to figure out where Sadie got hers from. She's constatly going after our cat and when we go outside she chases after leaves when she sees them moving. Pretty much anything that moves she stares down and then goes after.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm All Ears

Many pit bulls definitely do as do a lot of terriers. However my papillon puppy has what I'd call a high prey drive too (If it moves, she chases) and that's a breed that isn't known for a really high prey drive.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Labs wouldn't have a 'prey drive' as a breed because they're not bred to hunt things and catch them ... they retrieve what you shoot. But with that said, any excitable dog will chase a running kitty ... it's just fun!! lol

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 01-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Top Dog

Pit Bulls have a pretty high prey drive, as do most terriers. As far as Labs go, they aren't really supposed to but there are SO many careless breeders out there you can really get anything from a Lab, BYBs only care that their dogs are "nice family pets", are adorable, or make them money. Temperament beyond "doesn't try to eat the kids" isn't really evaluated.

I do agree that TONS of dogs will chase cats in their yard, regardless of breed. Max would always try to go after cats in the yard, was absolutely an angel when we actually got cats. Outside when they were running in an open space they were fun toys, inside the house they were family.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Slowly but surely......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
Pit Bulls have a pretty high prey drive, as do most terriers. As far as Labs go, they aren't really supposed to but there are SO many careless breeders out there you can really get anything from a Lab, BYBs only care that their dogs are "nice family pets", are adorable, or make them money. Temperament beyond "doesn't try to eat the kids" isn't really evaluated.

I do agree that TONS of dogs will chase cats in their yard, regardless of breed. Max would always try to go after cats in the yard, was absolutely an angel when we actually got cats. Outside when they were running in an open space they were fun toys, inside the house they were family.
This is both inside and outside. She goes after birds outside if she sees them (at least til the leash runs out).

EDIT: We pretty much got Sadie from someone who had accidental puppies and just trying to get rid of them(we only paid 40 dollars)so it was pretty careless. Her mom was lab and supposedly a champion bird dog the guy owned,and her dad was a lab/pit bull mix.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Twin 2.0

You can have a lab with prey drive though, my foster Virgo has a number of kills to her name. She never ate them though, just brought them to me. *shrug* Softest mouth ever when dealing with me and aside from the rabbits and such being dead, not an extra mark on them.

Pitties, being terriers, do typically have at least some measure of prey drive.