Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Top Dog

I'd be worried about some sort of neurological issue.

I do think it is unfortunate that the vet didn't euth. One should never have to tiptoe around their pet. My worry would be that the vet sugarcoated it to the SPCA and he'll be passed on to someone who cannot control one of his episodes and that he'll do serious damage.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 AM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolas Dad View Post
I'm glad the vet did not euthanize. If the dog has a medical problem that can be corrected then why euthanize?
Ok let me clarify, lol.

I did not mean the dog had an issue like a sore back or ear or other similiar ailment. What the posters (assuming others also meant this) are suggesting is that he had a medical issue meaning that there is some sort of neurological problem, or some sort of chemical imbalance. Basically, something is wrong in his head lol.

If it was something as simple as an achey body, I am sure nobody here would be advocating him to be euthanized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Navy Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post

I do think it is unfortunate that the vet didn't euth. One should never have to tiptoe around their pet. My worry would be that the vet sugarcoated it to the SPCA and he'll be passed on to someone who cannot control one of his episodes and that he'll do serious damage.
Yup, I second Grab's post.
knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
she was cornered by him for like almost 15 mins...calm, but obviously terrified. She was home alone, so she couldn;t get help. She knew not to try to grab him, so she just had to wait it out while he was flipping out at her.
Quote:
I'm sure things could have gone differently with him, but I think she made the right choice. Each attack has been further in btwn, but each time seems to worsen. She is a small girl & he is 80 lbs of dog that could reach up & rip her face off in a split second. Ultimately, her safety is just more important
I think she made the right decision, however I would have liked to see her insist on euthanasia. Not that I blame her, I mean when you take your dog to get killed and someone offers you a chance to let him live, it's got to be hard to say no.

I know this might sound bad, but I do hope that the SPCA sees him "flip out" before they adopt him out. I've seen way too many dogs come through the clinic that were adopted, and shortly after getting to their new homes showed how aggressive they really were. Some of them even do fine in a kennel environment, but when they get home, they're a completely different dog. So I hope that Camden isn't a kind of dog that is perfect at the shelter and then goes crazy in his new home.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
I'm glad the vet did not euthanize. If the dog has a medical problem that can be corrected then why euthanize?
If it was a pain problem etc I would agree with you. But there isn't much that can be done for chemical imbalance. And trust me I went though this, even with awesome vets its hard to get them to take you seriously that this happy seemingly well balanced dog just snaps.

Its NOT better to dump this dog on a shelter who won't have the resources to help this dog, nor is this at all fair to the adopters who may not see this until its too late.

A painless end is not the most horrible thing that can happen.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:34 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post

I agree.

As hard as that would have been for me, I would have insisted on euthing him and not signed him over. There are certain circumstances I won't tolerate a biting dog, when it's a child, (dog has choice of leaving area) or like this case where it's an on going episode (had her cornered) not just a snap/release and move on.

I too hope this vet is honest, both NOW and if something happens with new people in the future. I would hate to see this somehow come BACK to your roomie when she tried to do the right thing and was talked out of it

Sorry you didn't get to say goodbye Dreeza (((HUGS)))
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
As others said, we're not talking about a simple medical issue such as pain or even thyroid problems that can cause aggression. A chemical imbalance, a hard-to-diagnose and hard-to-treat intermittent seizure disorder, a tumor are the things that come to mind.

I'm all for treating a medical problem. I'm all for adopting out when possible. But I'm not all for wasting limited resources.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 01-26-2010, 08:13 AM
ACoops favorite

Oh...

I don't know too many people qualified to handle an animal like that, who would actually want to take on that kind of liability.

IMHO, they should have just put Camden down. In my experience, most vets aren't behaviorists and I'm not sure why the vet felt that he was qualified to evaulate the dog.

It's not his fault he's not wired correctly, but he's definitely not suited to be anyone's family member.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I would have insisted on a euth.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 01-26-2010, 09:05 AM
facetious.

But its over now and no one is there to make that decision(just reiterate it).

Good luck, Camden.
I'm sorry, Dreeza :/