Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

Unhappy Camden is gone...roomie gave him up

Wow, so I was in NY this weekend & got a call from my roomie today saying she gave Camden up last night.

Apparently he bit her yesterday. She was practicing w/food (he had been doing REALLY great with this) & was using the clicker...

There was a noise outside...Oakley started barking (he was gated in my room), Cam goes after him...realizes he can't get to him, and goes after my roommate instead She said she was so calm...didn't yell...was staying very positive & calmed him down.
Then something else set him off (another noise??) & he bit her...she was cornered by him for like almost 15 mins...calm, but obviously terrified. She was home alone, so she couldn;t get help. She knew not to try to grab him, so she just had to wait it out while he was flipping out at her.

He drew blood again this time.

She & her bf had agreed that if he did it again, they would take him to be euthanized. She brought him to an emergency vet clinic like an hour after this happened, saying that if she waited any longer, she wouldn't be able to do it (since he returns back to his old, happy self)

She said her good byes to him, bawled her eyes out, & said she didn't want to watch. They took him back...and then a few mins later, the vet came out & said he wanted to give him a 2nd chance. So she signed ownership of him to the SPCA. They are going to hopefully find someone with tons of land & the resources needed to take care of him.

I'm sure things could have gone differently with him, but I think she made the right choice. Each attack has been further in btwn, but each time seems to worsen. She is a small girl & he is 80 lbs of dog that could reach up & rip her face off in a split second. Ultimately, her safety is just more important.

Here is to hoping he finds a new home. I'm gonna miss him...I never got to say goodbye.

Thanks Jessie!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Behavior Nerd

It sounds like she made the right decision, no matter how tough - the thing that scares me though is that the vet apparently didn't take the seriousness of the attack for what it was. Rehoming a dog with this history is *rarely* a good idea and I hope that at least the SPCA will be told of his history before they place him.

Paws crossed for Camden.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Very Food Agressive

That's such a bad situation all around I hope it works out for Camden in the future.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:23 PM
and Fozzie B!

How sad for everyone involved... well, I guess that's what happens after so much supression and punishment is forced onto a dog.

Poor Camden. He must be so confused and frightened by all of the stuff he has been through at such an early age. I hope some one is willing to take him who will be fair and consistent with him, and who won't blame his issues on everyone but themselves. I hope so, but very few people are willing to even consider biters when there are so many dogs who have never bitten who need homes so badly. Good luck puppy.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Let it be

Poor guy. I wish him well.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Just try me..

I don't think this is just 'punishment based problems' If everything comes across as it happened. Yes its bad, and yes it causes issues. But IMO a dog who redirects and continues to flip out has something wrong with him

I hope the SPCA works with him to get to know what he's like before they adopt him out.

I am so sorry you didn't get to say good bye
Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Navy Sister

I'm sorry you didn't have a chance to say goodbye It sounds like your roommate made the best decision for the situation.
knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
But IMO a dog who redirects and continues to flip out has something wrong with him
I agree. That sounds like a medical issue.

I'm so sorry Dreeza and I'm sorry that it came to this.

Vibes going out for Camden that he gets what's best for him. Honestly, I think it's a bit of a shame that the vet didn't do the euth.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 AM
and Spy.

I also think the vet should have euthed. I feel bad for the dog but I just think it is not a risk worth taking. And from you description, he only goes berserk few and far between, so it's very possible that the shelter will never see the behaviour before adopting him out.

My grandpa adopted a dog like this. A complete sweetheart 98% of the time. But when she flipped, she had the power, strength, and size to seriously injure somebody, not to mention the fact that it was completely unpredictable. It was believed to be a chemical imbalance and related to her health, so they made the difficult decision to euthanize her.

I wish Camden the best of luck and hope something works out for him.

Your poor roommate and poor you. Its hard, but it was the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Top Dog

I'm glad the vet did not euthanize. If the dog has a medical problem that can be corrected then why euthanize?

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola