Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

Default Wth?!

My school is having a fundraiser this weekend. It's an auction of some sort. One of the auction "items" is an 8 week old black lab puppy! WTH?? Why would they offer a dog to anyone willing to pay the most?? What if the person is a terrible dog owner?? (Which is wayyy likely seeing as they'd be buying a presumably puppy mill or BYB dog from a high school auction) I am just SOOO annoyed. I wish I could buy the dog and get it into rescue, but I probably couldn't afford it. GRR!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Just try me..

Can you go to the organizers and politly tell them why this could be a very bad idea for the pup. I mean fund raising is great but not at some animal's expense.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Top Dog

I tried but they could care less. As long as they make a few hundred bucks. I don't understand that at all. It's a school with 1400+ students that pay tuition. Making a few hundred dollars on a puppy should not matter to them.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM
tessa_s212

I would go to the board with resources and information to back up your opinion and concerns for the poor puppy.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Holy Crap is that even legal. That poor puppy. Well whatever happens I really hope that the puppy ends up in a good home. The poor thing

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 01-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
I tried but they could care less. As long as they make a few hundred bucks. I don't understand that at all. It's a school with 1400+ students that pay tuition. Making a few hundred dollars on a puppy should not matter to them.
Perhaps you could go at the angle of how bad it makes the school look. How socially irresponsible it is, and how it sends a bad message the public, and reflects badly on students and staff?
Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

I'll try again. I could get my counselor behind me, probably, since I know she's a big animal person..
Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Top Dog

This may or may not be as a bad as it looks. I like Dekka's idea but look into it first.

I know the children's cancer hospital did a chinese auction a few years ago...one of the items was a big basket of puppy toys and supplies, along with a free adoption from the local shelter. My best friend's little brother had just beat leukemia and his parents promise him a puppy for it...a bunch of people bought tickets in his name and he ended up winning. He was like 9 then and named the pup Ruby because she was a "precious gem"...she's the sweetest pittie girl and my favorite dog by proxy.

Find out where the pup is coming from, etc. I imagine if people don't WANT a puppy, they're not going to auction for it...and i'm sure if it's coming from a shelter they'll take precautions to make sure it isn't going anywhere horrible.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

Call your local rescues and try to get them involved.

Threaten to call the paper,news-and do.

Write a well thought out letter and send it to all the board members.

If they had something like qualified buyer maybe I'd feel better about it but I think it gives the kids a bad idea about getting pets.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 01-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Doggy Rehab

Wow hey? What people won't do for money.

I agree with the above posters. An animal shouldn't be auctioned off like a painting or home made clothing.

Kye
18 month old bc/hound(?) mix
Rio
17 month old bc/husky mix
Deia
7.5 month old calico dmh
Rya
7.5 month old torbi dsh

"To the world, you are nothing. To a rescue dog, you are the world." - unknown

"They are your friends, your partners, your defenders, your dogs. You are their life, their love, their leader. They will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beats of their hearts. You owe it to them to be worthy of such devotion." - unknown