Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-21-2010, 05:35 PM
<----Thanks Allie

IMO, a puppy wouldn't be a good idea. An adult dog would be fine though. Once you pick your breed, contact local breeders and breed specific rescue, it may take some time, but they'll be able to place you with a dog.

Puppies are over rated anyway, older dogs are where it's at. Lol.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

By staggering our schedules, my fiance and I have raised two dogs from 6 and 10 months respectively to happy healthy dogs. And I work obscene hours. If I didn't have him, I could still have done it, it just would have required forking out for a dog walker.

But definately go for a dog of at least 6 months . . . a puppy would be very challanging under those circumstances. Also, though I disagree with her, Grammy is right in one sense: it will be hard to find a good breeder willing to sell to you due to your age and circumstances. However, there are thousands of adolecent and adult dogs that are literally dying for a home, and who would do just fine in yours. And there is no need to feel guilty: an owner absent 10 hours a day is better than no owner at all.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-21-2010, 05:58 PM
ACoops favorite

I'm probably going to get flak for this, but I think it's ok to get a puppy even if you work.

I think it's unrealistic for people to say that they wouldn't sell a puppy to a household that functions on two incomes... no offense, but that's everybody right now.

However, if you DO get a puppy, you need to work out staggering your schedule with your partner's schedule. When Harper comes, I'll be at work by 7:15 a.m. and home by 4:15 p.m. My boyfriend leaves for work at 11 a.m. and will be home for lunch at 2 p.m. for an hour until 3 p.m., then I'm back shortly after that.

So you can see, the pup gets alot of interaction during the day and will spend very little time alone, which it will probably spend sleeping anyway.

Plus, we'll be utilizing doggy day care and a dog walker which we can PAY for because we both WORK.

Normally, I try not to post much about my life on here because I know that it can easily turn into a flame war. But, I am going to get a puppy and this is how I am going to do it.

Plus, this puppy will also be going to puppy preschool AND a handling class with pro handler. Then it will be obedience and beginners agility...

So, even though my household might be ideal to some, I bet there are plenty of breeders who would be happy to have their puppy go to a home like mine. And in fact my mentor knows me and my situation and is just fine with it.

So there you have it. Sorry, but certain things ruffle my feathers and this is a "button" I guess. :-)
Old 01-21-2010, 06:03 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammgirl View Post
I'm probably going to get flak for this, but I think it's ok to get a puppy even if you work.
sure. provided you have the ability to get the puppy out during the day. i work fulltime but i'm home over lunch every day (or if i can't come home, could- still do- take the puppy with me). there's no way it would have been reasonable or humane of me to leave 12 week old steve on his own for ten hours at a stretch.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:26 PM
<----Thanks Allie

The OP said she has a long commute and her SO has the same schedule. So she would have to hire someone to let the puppy out everyday. Around here, you're looking around $20/day... Which means $100/week or $400/month.

An adult dog can fit into their current schedule with ease, and little expense. That's why everyone is recommending an adult.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

There are exceptions . Today is different than when I bred . Then someone was home sometime during the day . My daughters took litter mates , but both SO and they came home during the day . Neither Kenneled and both easy to potty train.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Gigi Monster & Evil Puppy

I've raised two of my puppies while I worked. And was gone from the house 12 hours a day. I used an ex-pen when I was gone, so the puppy had more room. I had somebody come and check on her and play with her at lunch time. I took her to puppy classes and did stuff with her when I got home. One of my puppies was litter trained by the breeder before I got her and that was lovely.

After she had all her shots, I took her to doggy day care a couple of times a week.

It just took planning and consideration. I did choose small breed dogs that are really happy with long walks but can get by with running around the house and yard.

I also knew that when I was done with work for the day, I would have the pupsters as my major commitment. And didn't try to do non-dog oriented activities during the week. I also would have puppy play dates at night.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:34 PM
MyHorseMyRules

I live alone, and I work 42+ hours a week. Not quite as long as you, but I think it's close enough that I can offer some advice. You can totally make it work! I would recommend, if not an adult, then a puppy that is around 12 months old or older. If you do decide to get a puppy, you will need to have someone come over at least once or twice a day while you are gone to let them out. Also, please research the breed you are planning to get. I had no idea what I was getting into with Raja. She has more energy than you could even begin to understand.

How I manage: I wake up at 4:30 in the morning, run five miles with her, then spend however long I can playing with both of the dogs before I have to leave at 7:30. Both dogs are crated when I am at work, though Tempie (at a year and a half) is finally being allowed out by herself on Saturdays when I work fewer hours. This took a lot of time and effort to achieve. When I get home, I run another five miles with Raja, play fetch for a couple of hours with Tempie, and spend the rest of the night letting them run off steam so that they can sleep with me instead of needing to be crated. My weekends also go to these same efforts with one addition. I take them to the dog park for about 4 hours. They spend the ENTIRE time running, swimming, wrestling, etc. Nonstop. All of this just keeps them somewhat sane and manageable during the week. As you can see, I have little to no free time. And that's before I add in the training sessions. I am currently looking at getting into weight pulling or something of the sort and hoping that, while it will still take time, it won't exhaust me quite so much.

I'm not trying to scare you off. I'm just hoping you are doing research into the breed you want so you can find one that suits your lifestyle.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Top Dog

And in contrast, my dog is content to sleep all day if I'd let him. I have to literally force him out of bed in the mornings, and even at that he rolls off the bed and onto the couch. Sure, we take walks, but my dog doesn't require 10 miles of running a day to keep him happy. Some dogs do. We do have multiple training sessions every day. We do unusual things in our training sessions from time to time to keep him stimulated (such as color retrieving, which we are actually working on now, instead of just trying to get lucky xD). It really depends a lot on the individual dog. Breed plays a role, but even within the breed, there are differences.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:56 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Certainly not a baby. An older pup maybe. IF i were going to be gone that long I would prefer and older dog. THere are so many that need good homes and dogs out there that already have the starts of training it would seem the wisest way to go.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,