Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Active Pup

Default Do I have enough time for a dog?

I have really been missing having a dog in my life. I'm 25 and growing up we always had 3-4 dogs in the family. I grew up showing obedience up to open with my lab. My lifestyle now is very different, and I'm not 100% sure I could make it work which is why I don't have a dog yet.

I own a townhouse which is pretty large (1400sq ft) but it doesn't have much of a yard. A dog would need to go on leashed potty walks. I do live within walking distance to a 600 acre park. The park is awesome, but in the winter it's already dark when I get home from work. I have a long commute an am usually gone about 10hrs M-F.

My boyfriend lives with me, and is supportive of the dog idea. He works about the same schedule as me. However, he has never had a dog before so I would need to have time to train the dog and the boyfriend! He is really in favor of getting a puppy. I would love an adorable little puppy but I have no idea how you would go about potty training and everything without being home.

I already have a room in the house that would be dedicated puppy zone and I'm sure I would need to use wee-wee pads.

Can you raise a well adjusted puppy if you're out of the house 10 hrs a day? I don't travel much or have any other obligations, so the majority of my free time would be spent with the pup.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Top Dog

I don't know about a puppy, but you could definitely make it work with an adult dog. If I can make it work with 2 jobs and going to school full time, anyone can make it work
Old 01-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Top Dog

I'm 22, work from full time (although from home- that's a benefit for me), live in an apartment, and got a border collie puppy none the less, and it was perfectly easy for me. Working from home helped a ton, but what also helped was going to the dog part for 3 months before I got my dog almost everyday (walkable for me as well) so I got in the habit. Now it's just part of my schedule to go everyday. I think if you can commit to 1 hour a day to a dog park, and 1 hour a day for the rest of the day spread out (between taking it outside, feeding it, playing etc), you can handle it. I will say that I bring Jude everywhere to make it better. If I go to the grocery store, he comes just for the ride so it's more interesting for me. I try to stop at petco every few days so he's stimulated. We also budget for 1 day a week in daycare. I personally consider the time commitment and expense commitment part of preparing for children one day!

Good luck! It's possible its all about prioritizing.

Erin Bell
Milford, Ct

mom of Jude Nathaniel, Jonah Samuel, and puppy in the sky- Francis Gabriel
expecting baby girl from Ethiopia in 2015!
my site
Old 01-21-2010, 03:10 AM
Top Dog

I think it would be VERY hard to raise a puppy being gone 10 hours a day...but it's probably do-able to get an adult dog, as long as you carefully look into the breed and whatnot. I don't know too many people who could handle a border collie puppy with both household members gone 10 hours a day....

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Drivey and Intense

It would be best to consider a dog no younger than six months of age. We both work full time and outside the house, live in a townhouse with no yard, and we have a GSD mix, about 45 lbs. It works because we do training, fetch indoors, then several weekly trips to either the offleash parks (when empty) or to the cattle pastures (also when empty). It would be SO MUCH EASIER if we had a yard but we make it work. Remember, there are lots of dog owners in NYC who make it happen just fine. With pups, remember that it is not just potty breaks that need to be dealt with, but SOCIALIZATION. When you get home from work, every single evening, will you have the desire and energy to load up the pup and drive to the vet, drive downtown, drive to a store that allows dogs, drive to puppy classes, drive everywhere to raise a well trained and well socialized dog? That is a TON of work that just cannot wait for the weekend.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Twin 2.0

I also think a dog that is at least 12-18 months old would work better. They are still young enough to still have the fun parts of being a puppy (like being silly, getting the zoomies, etc) but they have better bladder control and are usually out the mega-chewing stages.

If you are fully set on getting a young puppy, then I would look into having someone come over in the middle of the day to take the pup for a short walk, such as a dog-walking service, a friend or even an able senior citizen. Daycare is also a fabulous option for people who work long hours but still want a dog.

What kind of dog are you looking to get? Another Lab?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Top Dog

You and your boyfriend will probably want to stagger your schedules to make it work. My husband and I both work full time, but I take morning duties with the dog (walk her/train her/play with her) before I head into the office, and he comes home early to walk her in the mid-late afternoon, and finishes up work from home. We live in an apartment, so like you, all outside time is on a leash!

Winter time is definitely harder, since it gets dark so early. There are a few ways we deal with it though. First, we found a dog park 20 minutes away that has lights until 10pm. Second, she goes to day care a lot in the winter when we know we won't be able to go to the park at night. We also take extra agility classes, to tire her out.

If you get a puppy, it's going to be tricky. I am SO grateful that we adopted a 3-4 year old dog. She was house trained and could hold her bladder for 8 hours, was past the horrible chewing/mischief making, and I didn't have to stress about proper socialization. I would definitely look at an adult dog. Even so, I might look into hiring a dog walker to come mid day and let the dog out, at least for the first few weeks.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

seems like you could do it..however i would get an adult dog..one that doesnt need too much training since you wont have enough time to maybe start with a puppy...just make sure that you can afford to emotionally and financially as well
Old 01-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Top Dog

I never sold a pup into this situation . To me dogs should be in homes /// not into kennels .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I never sold a pup into this situation . To me dogs should be in homes /// not into kennels .
Sorry, but I can provide just as loving and stimulating a home as anyone else. If I didn't work the dog wouldn't eat.