Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Just try me..

We were Sports 3rd home (not counting foster homes and shelters) and he was only 11 months! Nothing wrong with him other than he is a very very drivey (and at times loud) BC.

I remember my friend dropping a JRT off at my house (she was at the shelter when these people came in to reliquish their JRT due to having to move to look after family) She convinced them JRT rescue was better than the shelter.. Anyway she ended up getting a championship at the JRTCC nationals that year in racing and is a very very nice dog.

I often tell people that almost all dogs in rescue and shelters only crime is being bought by the wrong owners first time round.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm All Ears

Scarily enough, we're Rose's third home too in under 2 years. I will tell you that dog is PERFECT.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Let it be

Bandit had three before me before he was six months old! INSANITY.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:24 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I often tell people that almost all dogs in rescue and shelters only crime is being bought by the wrong owners first time round.
I would have to agree with this.

If the dog was viscous or something along those lines the RIGHT owners would deal with it themselves whether through training or euthanasia.

If the dog is too rowdy and untrained, it wasn't in the hands of people who cared enough or bothered to learn and help the dog learn. Then blamed the dog, and dumped it when the going got rough.

Very few dogs are in the shelter because they had people who died or fell on true hard times, but were otherwise a good loving home. If THOSE were the only dogs in shelters, we'd have to drive miles and miles to even FIND a shelter.........and it definitely wouldn't be over crowded, LOL
Old 01-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Top Dog

I have always went with puppies because they are a "Clean Slate" and don't have any bad habits or hang ups built in when I get them. The one adult dog that my family adopted (long time ago) was a Chessie who came with lots a odd behaviors and phobias. I guess that stuck in my mind and I always equate older rescues with "problem" dog. I know that is not always the case but I guess that is my "phobia". When I get a dog it is a life long commitment and I guess I want the dog to fit me the best possible.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Top Dog

I think fears of "issues" can be alleviated through working with an honest rescue and doing research ahead of time.

I agree that it's naive to walk into a shelter, pick a dog, and expect it to fit into your house without any trouble. But with my fosters, their future families get a 100% honest view of everything I know about the dog (it's fears, behavior issues, dog/cat/kid friendly, etc). I realize that some quirks might not pop up for a month, and I've only had the dog 3 weeks at that point...but the big things usually do. And the biggest things I've ever had with my fosters are food possessiveness, fear of baths, and jumping. All things that can be fixed pretty easily.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 01-19-2010, 11:16 AM
overdogged

the problem with puppy as clean slate is that genetics are always there playing a part, whether that pup is from a breeder or a shelter.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
the problem with puppy as clean slate is that genetics are always there playing a part, whether that pup is from a breeder or a shelter.
Yup.

My family had a chessie when I was growing up. My parents did what typical JQP does. We had a neighbor who had a chessie who was friendly and awesome and well-behaved, so my dad decided to get one as our first dog. My mom looked in the paper and found a BYB, and we drove out to a farm somewhere in Nowhere and got the last puppy of the litter. My mom claims his parents were friendly (I don't really remember much about it, I was 7 at the time). I remember he wasn't really a friendly or outgoing puppy at all. In fact, when we got him home he hid under the car and wouldn't come out for a while. Our dog grew up to be food aggressive and VERY stranger aggressive, and DA too (and getting attacked by a loose rottweiler while on leash when he was 2 didn't help). SOME of this was because my dad was and still is a dumbass about dog training, so the dog was never actually trained beyond "sit" and "lay down". But a lot of it was just who he was. There are countless dogs out there who are not "socialized" in any sense of the word, but love all people.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
Not sure that is a problem....if you do your research and find the right breeder; The proper genetics will increase your chance of having a healthy (physically and mentally) dog. So with a puppy (if researched correctly) I think genetics is on your side.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer View Post
Not sure that is a problem....if you do your research and find the right breeder; The proper genetics will increase your chance of having a healthy (physically and mentally) dog. So with a puppy (if researched correctly) I think genetics is on your side.
but that's not a clean slate. if puppies truly were clean slates, there'd be no benefit (so far as temperament, etc goes) to going to a good breeder.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?