Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Actually most people I know sell their retirees and grown out pups for LESS. It may just be because I'm in toy dogs but breeders often keep multiple pups and grow them out to 6-14 months or so. These dogs are already house trained and socialized and may have basic obedience. They sell for less simply because most people want cute puppies.
Yes, but I think Dekka was suggesting that breeders not sell puppies, but raise them to adulthood and then sell them for a much higher price since they would be a much easier dog to care for at that point. Which I agree would be a good idea, except that the price would be SO MUCH higher I can't imagine JQP paying it.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:50 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I think there is a stigma about adult dogs in shelters to those who don't really have any experience. They think 1) there is a reason the dog ended up there (like the dog did somethign wrong to make his owners not want it) and 2) that they will be bringing in a dog of questionable temperment and with potential behaviour issues that they just aren't equipped to handle.

I think the idea is that if they get a puppy they can mold it to be what they want... most of the time this is NOT true LOL but this is the thought process behind it I think.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Yes, but I think Dekka was suggesting that breeders not sell puppies, but raise them to adulthood and then sell them for a much higher price since they would be a much easier dog to care for at that point. Which I agree would be a good idea, except that the price would be SO MUCH higher I can't imagine JQP paying it.
LOL I meant both. I wonder why JQP isn't wanting older dogs.. (I mean if they can drop 2500 on some doodle why not 2500 on a fixed nicely raised JRT?)

But yes its the fact that older puppies and young adults are worth LESS when actually they should be worth the same or more as puppies.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:58 PM
overdogged

all i have to say is steve has cured me of puppyitis forever!
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
all i have to say is steve has cured me of puppyitis forever!

There is that. I forget sometimes the negative side to puppies. Thanks for the reminder. When I think back......oh arrrgggg. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

OMG IMO puppies are WAY harder than infants LOL

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-18-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia has cured me too, Elegy... okay that's a little bit of a lie lmao. I'm sure I'll go that route again in a few years when Mia is out of the puppy stage. They make puppies cute for a reason.

I try to tell people about the adult dog from a breeder option as often as I can. I think it gets overlooked a lot when people ask about getting a dog. It's a really good option for someone wanting a specific breed and not wanting a puppy.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
(by people I am not really referring to chazers.. more to JQ Public types)
OK, but then JQP:

1. Really can't resist the cutenesss of a puppy.
2. Wants the "awwwww factor" of showing off the cute puppy to family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, the lady at the 7-11, etc.
3. Many times doesn't realize how much time and work goes into raising a puppy ... they expect it will be easier and take less time.
4. Knows nuthin' 'bout no "breeders" ... but instead scans the newspaper classifieds, or worse goes to a pet store.
5. Wants a discount for an older puppy because in their minds "that's the one you couldn't sell before, the one nobody else wanted"
6. If they do know about breeders, they still may not realize that breeders do sometimes sell adult dogs.
7. Thinks a dog can't bond with its owner unless raised from a puppy.
8. Thinks a dog won't be good with their children unless raised from a puppy.
9. Thinks an adult dog is being "rejected" in some way .... as in "If he's so great then why do you want to sell him?"
10. "But the kids really want a puppeeee!!!"

I didn't include JQ Public's prospective objections to adult dogs from shelters or rescues ... because from your descriptions of the two JRTs you described as examples, I think you're talking about trained adults from established breeders or professional trainers.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:12 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Personally, I hate puppies. Lol, ok maybe hate isn't the right word... They're cute and adorable as long as you can send them home at the end of the day.

I MUCH prefer older puppies/young adults, but they're not always available... Especially when you get into wanting a show(conformation) prospect.

I think for me Wash is the perfect age, he's still very young... but not helpless infant young.

ETA: if I ever just want a "pet" in the future, I'll be all over an adult. I would prob want 1-3yrs though.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:13 PM
<------RIP Superdog

I would rather get a puppy right now then an adult. I am not the biggest fan of puppies though (of course, i love a cute squishy puppy as much as the next person, but OH the work!). But, I want to be the one to train that puppy. I want to be the one to see the spark when they learn the commands. I want to be the one to bring it all together. I want to be the one to train them how i want to train them. I want to be the one to expose them to everything and gauge their reactions. I want all those milestones and firsts.

I think for the average owner though getting an older "puppy" is an ideal situation! If i was looking for just a companion then i would absolutely look further into this route. How wonderful to not have to deal with all the "negatives" that come along with puppies! I too am generally suprised that if given the choice between a wild puppy and an well adjusted adult that most people would pick the puppy.