Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

I don't think it's not more in demand...it's just that most people who have a well trained adult dog aren't looking to give it up, it's part of the family. I'm sure most people going to shelters to look for an adult are going to JUMP at the first trained, well manner dog they see, because most are completely unruly.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Most times when you're getting an adult, you're getting a rescue. Rescues often find themselves homeless as adults because they weren't trained, so people are taking on large, ill mannered beasts with who knows what kind of socialization.
I think this is a rather broad statement. Many dogs I have known in rescue have come knowing at least some basic commands, and many, many adopters send us updates telling us the dog they adopted was already house-trained. If you adopt a dog who is two years old or younger, then yes, chances are you will have to deal with a few obnoxious behaviors (mainly mouthing and jumping up), and will probably have to give the dog a refresher course in house-training. But, these things really don't take much effort to fix most of the time, and if you aren't willing to put a least a tiny bit of effort into owning a dog, why own a dog?

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I don't think it's not more in demand...it's just that most people who have a well trained adult dog aren't looking to give it up, it's part of the family. I'm sure most people going to shelters to look for an adult are going to JUMP at the first trained, well manner dog they see, because most are completely unruly.
See I wasn't thinking of the people goign to shelters. I was thinking of people who want a well bred (nsert breed here) Thinking of puppies.. easy to sell when little. Not nearly as easy when they are older.. but they are then pre socialized, crate trained etc etc.. You would think pet homes would be more excited by them. But it seems they want a 'discount' for it being older. Not that I have dealt with 'pet homes' in years, but I remember. And I have heard this from other breeders.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Let it be

I'd drop more money on a well behave adult than I would on a pup. I can walk away from a cute face.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Sport Model Pug

I would go for an adult or older pup but it depends on what kind of training it's had and the style it's learned... Izzie is my clean slate and i've trained her how i like, but my older 2 were trained the basics and potty training by my parents who are old school. So when you say sit to them they cower or don't do anything until they see you have food, whereas Izzie will do it no matter what because i don't let my parents touch her at all.

So really it'd depend on the dog.

For a regular family with kids and such i'd be all for them getting an older pup or young adult (or even an older adult) that was trained because i know they just wouldn't be likely to have the time or effort. However i'd still recommend they be open and consider all options and see which clicks the best.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

I wish I could walk away from a cute face easily. LOL. The thing is, it's not just the cute face. Puppies are so interesting to me. They're such sponges and I really enjoy seeing them develop and go through their phases. I love teaching them the things they need to know to grow up into a civilized member of society. It's rewarding. Training is my thing. It interests me. On the other hand, they are indeed a lot of work. So, yeah....the decision would not be that easy for me. The decision to get another dog at all wouldn't be that easy for me. I'm sort of maxed out right now.

Why, oh why do I see everything in shades of gray?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
If they bought a young (like yearish) trained, fixed, socialized dog they would be much better off than getting that squishy adorable puppy.
But where does one find such a dog??

Really the only way would be from a breeder. Let's say I want an adult collie - socialized, trained, the whole works. I can't even begin to think about how much time money a good trainer would have to put into raising a puppy for a year - socializing, taking it to puppy classes, training it at home, etc. - and not just one puppy, but the whole litter. And that's AFTER all the health testing and other costs that come along with breeding a good litter. So now, if I'm already looking at spending $1000 for a good puppy from a good breeder, how much more would I have to spend to reimburse that breeder for all the work that's gone into that puppy for the past year?? No way JQP is going to spend that much, IMO.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

Good points Lizzybeth.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm All Ears

I like getting adults from breeders. We've gone that route 3 times now and it's been great. Summer was soooo much easier to adjust to than Mia was.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
But where does one find such a dog??

Really the only way would be from a breeder. Let's say I want an adult collie - socialized, trained, the whole works. I can't even begin to think about how much time money a good trainer would have to put into raising a puppy for a year - socializing, taking it to puppy classes, training it at home, etc. - and not just one puppy, but the whole litter. And that's AFTER all the health testing and other costs that come along with breeding a good litter. So now, if I'm already looking at spending $1000 for a good puppy from a good breeder, how much more would I have to spend to reimburse that breeder for all the work that's gone into that puppy for the past year?? No way JQP is going to spend that much, IMO.
Actually most people I know sell their retirees and grown out pups for LESS. It may just be because I'm in toy dogs but breeders often keep multiple pups and grow them out to 6-14 months or so. These dogs are already house trained and socialized and may have basic obedience. They sell for less simply because most people want cute puppies.

It's really easy to find an adult papillon and I'd almost guarantee unless the dog is conformation titled, it will be significantly less than a puppy. Summer was $500 at 4 years and Mia as $1600 as a puppy.