Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Just try me..

Default The how much thread got me thinking.. why isn't this more in demand..

So my friend who has Snip loves him, a lot. But she is constantly telling me how much other people love him. (she leaves him with friends if she is busy for the day sort of thing) They all think he is just the best.

Snip is 5 now, very well mannered. Obedient, walks on a loose leash (even in down town Toronto with all its distractions), house trained, fine on public transit, in stores, doesn't bug people when in crowded elevator.. etc etc.

When she borrowed Kaiden in the summer (to see if she could handle a dog.. Kaiden loves all humans equally so its not biggy for him to go live with someone) Same deal, he was told he was welcome everywhere he went.

(now forgetting these are a JRTs lol, and not normally what people think of as fantastic urban dogs) Why aren't dogs like this in demand? Why is it people will drop $$$ on a puppy that knows nothing, will disrupt your sleep, need training, need more vet costs etc. But people don't want to take adult dogs. I mean I get the whole awww cute puppy. Yet soo many people just want a well mannered pet, but don't have the time to put into training one.

(by people I am not really referring to chazers.. more to JQ Public types)
Old 01-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Yorkie Love

Hey... I mentioned wanting an adult in that thread

I loved seeing mine as puppies but honestly I like adult dogs better... plus I dont plan on adding my next dog for 2-3 years down the road and at that point will probably not be able to dedicate the kind of time needed to housetrain.

I think in the general population it all boils down to the "aww" factor... its why people buy dogs from petstores and why people get dogs they arent ready for... they cant resist a cute puppy... when in reality most people would be much better off with an adult dog.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Just try me..

lol I noticed your post actually and went WOW smart! When I got Ferret (she didnt' work out long term, very strange dog!!!) I specifically was looking for another JRT that was not a puppy.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Taxiderpy

Most times when you're getting an adult, you're getting a rescue. Rescues often find themselves homeless as adults because they weren't trained, so people are taking on large, ill mannered beasts with who knows what kind of socialization.

Usually when I talk to people about getting a dog, and I tell them about getting an adult dog from a breeder they get very excited about it. A couple of them did go on to get adult collies from good breeders. One collie was the pick of the litter, but he was monorchid. The breeder hoped his testicle would drop, but when it didn't she neutered him and put him in a pet home. He had tons of training and socialization, a really great healthy dog. The family was very glad to get him.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

Well, I think it boils down to science. People are naturally attracted to babies. It's an evolutionary thing...an advantageous thing for survival. We are so attracted to babies that they've bred dogs to have baby faces....the wide forhead, wide set apart and large eyes, flatter faces like a human baby. They've even done studies on how much we are drawn to these physical features. So, the "awwww, it's a snuggly puppy" phenomenon has more appeal than "meets the eye." It's inherent. It's our instinct to nurture babies that is such a strong influence in that pull to have a puppy.

It takes an ample amount of compensation...of logic and sensibility to resist a puppy and get an adult dog that doesn't have to have all that training a puppy needs, generally. Anyhow....that's my take on it.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

To add....if I were to get another dog, my sensibility tells me how nice it would be to skip over that difficult puppy period. On the other hand, I still have that strong pull toward a squishable, adorable puppy. It would be a hard choice for me. Also, there is something to starting out with a fresh slate....to raise them from scratch....even though adult dogs can adapt just fine and their behaviors can be modified. But some of their past experiences may make it so certain things about them will not be worked through.....things like a lack of good, early socialization, sometimes certain abuses etc. So, the clean slate thing has it's appeal too. But so does giving an adult dog a good home when he's had a rotten time up to the present.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Just try me..

Carrie.. though knowing your enjoyment in training I can totally see wanting the fresh slate. I am the same way (except when Darien was small and not wanting a puppy then) Kat has been a blast so far!

I am thinking of your typical family where both parents work and have kids. If they bought a young (like yearish) trained, fixed, socialized dog they would be much better off than getting that squishy adorable puppy. They often want the ideal dog but don't have the time nor skills to get it there.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

I much prefer getting adult dogs. My lifestyle doesn't allow for puppies. Lucy was 3-4 when we got her, and I think that's pretty ideal.

My MIL on the other hand, says her ideal is 6 months. She wants to avoid any chance of "issues" with an older rescue dog (and she doesn't have the patience to spend time evaluating dozens of dogs).

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Carrie.. though knowing your enjoyment in training I can totally see wanting the fresh slate. I am the same way (except when Darien was small and not wanting a puppy then) Kat has been a blast so far!

I am thinking of your typical family where both parents work and have kids. If they bought a young (like yearish) trained, fixed, socialized dog they would be much better off than getting that squishy adorable puppy. They often want the ideal dog but don't have the time nor skills to get it there.
Oh yes! I totally agree with you. I think the adult dog is a much, much better choice for many people. Like I say, even though I enjoy training, I'd even think twice these days, as I'm getting older (not that old yet)lol...but sort of tired. And I don't have quite the energy that I use to. I might consider an older dog myself.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Top Dog

I do see people smartening up about it. More and more people I know say, "no, I don't want a puppy!". Meg was perfect - about a year, old enough to really work with, old enough to be basically housebroken in a matter of days, young enough to still be molded.

There are a couple particular breeds on my "want" list that I would want from puppies for various reasons. But for the most part, a 6 - 18 month old dog is perfect.

I often get "what a perfect/ideal dog" comments about Meg as well, mostly from friends of my parents who are entering retirement and looking to get a dog. When I say, "Oh, a friend of mine who runs a rescue found her for me; do you want her website?" they say, "no, we don't want to take on someone else's problems". Well, folks - there are a whole lot of super dogs who were someone else's problem. Most ill-started adult dogs can probably be trained to be wonderful house dogs faster than an 8 week old puppy can .