Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-19-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm All Ears

The field bird dogs have always been a consideration but I'm not sure if I'm going to be that into bird hunting or not. It's something I've wanted to do a long long time and am finally getting the chance to learn.

So Dekka you'd say a toller is more serious than an aussie? I think that's my problem with aussies is they're a bit too goofy. But some BCs seem too serious for me. Summer is very very serious all the time. It's hilarious ina way but I like Mia's ability to let loose and just run around and romp sometimes. Although if you bring out the tennis ball, it's all business for her.

Happyhound, your avatar is hilarious!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Fishies!

Pointing dogs are hard work, wait on them even if you do get into bird hunting. It seems like you have the time, but if its not your focus, you'll have problems.

How about a Springer Spaniel? Good on pheasants, though you have to pay attention! Lighter, more agile (for agility ) than the retrievers. You could probably find a hunting or even field trial line retriever to your specifications too. They tend to be smaller and more nimble, although off switches might suffer with the trial lines.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
Pointing dogs are hard work, wait on them even if you do get into bird hunting. It seems like you have the time, but if its not your focus, you'll have problems.
I'd agree, if only because they LIVE to hunt. I honestly can't see Charlie being a happy dog without his daily pointing.

If you have access to an area where a dog can run off leash, that birds live in, that counts as hunting time for a griffon. Charlie loves to go out in the pasture for a couple of hours and he will point every last little quail, grouse, duck, etc. that he runs across. He loves it. He doesn't care if you shoot at the bird as long as he gets to find it and point.

Of the pointers, griffons seem to have the most consistent off switch. He does settle down in the house really well when we bring him in, and can even contain his crazies if he misses a day of exercise. Any more than that and he turns to destructo boredom however.

They are very very high drive when "working". He would fetch for hours. And if we let him, he would run the fence perimeter endlessly as long as the chickens are in view. We have the "crate and rotate" between him and the chickens, otherwise he will run all his weight off. It got to the point where we had him on 10 cups a day of high performance GF food, and he was still skeletal from the amount of running he did. He had awesome muscle tone though, lol.

Laur, honestly you described all the traits of an ibizan hound in your original post. Are you sure you're not ready for one?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

Wow i just typed the longest reply ever..... and it got deleted. Will come reply again later!

Erin Bell
Milford, Ct

mom of Jude Nathaniel, Jonah Samuel, and puppy in the sky- Francis Gabriel
expecting baby girl from Ethiopia in 2015!
my site
Old 01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Salty Sea Dog

i was actually comming back to suggest an ibizan too!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 01-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

well I have to agree re: aussies being goofy,,,mine don't have a serious bone in their bodies and everything is all about "them" LOL..Altho I must say my cream puff aussie is quite a 'birder'..) The borders are more serious imho but can also be obsessive.

My GSD (and all of them that I've had in the past) are all about ME, which I tend to like)) To do agility, I highly recommend (if you go with a gsd) look for a nice leggy one. I like LONG legs when it comes to agility, tho they can do agility and do it well, most gsd's don't have a long shelf life when it comes to agility( And my gsd's have all gotten along great with my sister's paps)

There are a couple of people in my dog club who have tollers and they are really NICE dogs! Not to big, not to small, not golden retrievers but easy to take anywhere. They do well at agility and probably have a longer shelf life than the bigger breeds...I like the tollers as well
Old 01-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Hey Jude, you touched on a lot of my worries about bcs.
What are your worries with Border Collies?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Puppy Dog

You pretty much described my English Springer Spaniel (I have the field). She will have the energy and drive to do pretty much everything, super intelligent and a lover at home as long as properly exercised.

I finished reading the thread and want to add that my female is 45 pounds, and very low maintenance hair and ear wise. I pretty much think she is a great dog, and loves peoples of all ages. (Now if we could perfect the not jumping, and counter surfing).
Old 01-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Let it be

As for BCs being serious... well. That isn't all true. Bandit is such a clown when his tennis ball is out. He has a sense of humor to him that's for sure. He is a pretty serious dog in general though. He knows when to cut loose and when not to. Spank was the same way.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Big Dog

I’ve gotta say, I also have a English Springer Spaniel (field) and he fits your description really well!

He is 50 lbs

Definitely high energy, but a great off switch in the house where he turns into a total cuddle bug!

Very athletic: We are near the top of our class in agility, he runs with me, swims while I kayak, plays fetch, hikes alongside me etc. He just loves to be where the action is.

Very obedient and smart but also quite quirky – always has me laughing.

Great around small dogs and cats – will adjust his “force” to the size of his playmate

Zero DA

Low maintenance coat. I brush him daily and clean his ears weekly, but that’s mostly because I enjoy doing it. He doesn’t require anything fancy.

Mine is very aloof with strangers but I don’t think that’s the norm. I got him at 6 months so he came with the fear issues – but has been coming along just wonderfully!

I just love him and would get another ESS when the time is right. Good luck with your decision. How do I attach pictures? I would love to share some!