Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Salty Sea Dog

some breeds that sprung to mind

whippets (particularly the long haired)
silkens
and lurchers
irish water spaneil, less grooming needs than the poodle and porti.
toller
Xolo...the xolo come in 3 sizes and a standard is about the size of a dobie, and they do come in a coated veriety. they are sighthoundish in personality, tend to be good with other dogs in the family, (watch for problems with strange "in your face" type dogs, they tend to dislike dogs who dont respect boundries when there not used to them)
they run like the wind, tend to be independant ect

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 01-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

How 'bout one of these? I am really intrigued by this breed. Of course, close your eyes when you look at the coat.

Lagotto Club of America
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2010, 10:11 PM
treehugging clicker freak

My first thought was gsd, but when I read the bird dog part a Brit came to my mind as well I've heard that they are the bc of the spaniel world lol. The ones I've met were drivey, but well behaved. Beautiful dogs
good luck on your search!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Top Dog

Dance fits your description absolutely perfectly. I wish you had a good oportunity to get to know the breed. I can't remember if there are any breeders around you or not for sure... but I think there is. Just remember that if/when you do get to hang around some Tollers, you might not get to see quite their true selves right away due to their tendency to be reserved around strangers. But you'd definitely get a good feel for them regardless, especially in their own environment.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Let it be

Tollers are cool. My neighbor has one. I should steal him and give him to you. He's exactly what you are looking for.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:38 AM
Top Dog

I know BC's are the top of your list anyway- towards the top- but I really just have to say that Jude really fits your description to a t. I love the organized energy and focus of border collies. We do about 1.5 hours of dog parks and walking per day (plus some mental stimulation like sitting out at coffee shops, walking downtown, rides, etc) and honestly it's a great mix. When we're home he does a combination of entertaining himself, chewing on bones, and sleeping. It really is the perfect combination of energy. I never let him become ball obsessed or anything and made sure he got a wide range of acitivites in his day, so I don't see that border collie obsession in him. He's thoughtful and focused, but well rounded. some border collies I meet don't know how to have fun at all! I need a dog that can.

I also love that BC's seem to be so independent and yet when well socialized, also so loving, friendly, and easy to get along with.

I had no idea I'd fall head over heels for the breed when I first began to fall for it, but I could never go back. There is also something so special about knowing you have one of the smartest breeds. Makes training easy and rewarding and everyday fun. I'm looking into getting my second in about 6-9 months.

also, a bc would be great for your sports and hobbies.

I will say, and I'm sorry to the aussie people here, but I meet tons of them at the dog park and they just don't have the same 'fire' that I see in border collies. I know that many aussie people would say the opposite though! Just my two cents.

Like the brit suggestion too! And Vizslas!

Good luck!

Erin Bell
Milford, Ct

mom of Jude Nathaniel, Jonah Samuel, and puppy in the sky- Francis Gabriel
expecting baby girl from Ethiopia in 2015!
my site

Last edited by hey_jude; 01-19-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
I will say, and I'm sorry to the aussie people here, but I meet tons of them at the dog park and they just don't have the same 'fire' that I see in border collies. I know that many aussie people would say the opposite though! Just my two cents.
I've met a few Aussies too, and I agree with this.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm All Ears

Hey Jude, you touched on a lot of my worries about bcs. There are lots that I don't particularly care for. Aussies and Tollers both sound better on paper but based on experience I prefer bcs to aussies, I'm not sure why. I'd feel better if I had some hands on with the tollers because on paper they sound just darn near perfect. They don't really have the 'it' factor (for me) that bcs do, but I'm not sure if that's just from lack of real experience with them.

That just settles it. You're gonna need to bring Jude for me to meet, lol.

I've got at least probably 2 years before deciding. I want to have some time to just work with Mia (and to get her more mature lol).
Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Top Dog

Well, since you are considering bird hunting in your future ...

A Brittany is a good size, of course a GSP is, too.. I have a smaller sized bitch that weighs in around 45lbs (and there are smaller field bred GSPs). I know a lot of people seem to think they are too high energy with no off switch, but I don't think they've lived one. Both of mine have off switches and are content to just "hang out" and not do anything on nasty weather days.

Also maybe a field bred English cocker (or even a springer)? I've actually been thinking about a field cocker for myself and am pretty much set on getting one as my "next dog". They don't have a high maintenance coat and weigh in around the 30lb range.

The advantage of getting a bird dog is that you can buy one that is already started or completely finished if you'd rather not get a puppy.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Just try me..

IME the difference between aussies and BC is the aussies tend to think its all fun. Agility, herding etc they are having a great time! With BC its serious, they take every job given them like they are doing a mission that could save the nation. (not to say BC aren't having fun.. its just they take even their fun seriously)

Tollers are pretty serious, but not as much so as BC.