Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Top Dog

Wow....until I read "needs no professional grooming," my mind went to the Standard Poodle. (of course, you could learn how to clip) They're drivey, as far as I know, quick and agile...good for agility. I believe they have an off switch....can be friendly or sometimes a little on the aloof side. You'd be better off asking a real Poodle person here. But I can just see one zooming around an agility course and chilling out on the couch for movies afterwards. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Just try me..

lol after doing agility just about any dog is willing to chill on the couch
Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

LOL. No kidding! Hahaha.

Well, I'm partial to Poodles. I want one. tee hee hee. And I mustn't have another dog right now. So, I want everyone else to get one so I can live vicariously through them. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Some Rat Terriers can push over 20+ pounds ...

Edit - nevermind. I saw 30 lbs - didn't see 30-70. Duh!

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)

Last edited by colliewog; 01-18-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Top Dog

Sounds like GSD or standard poodle to me. Possibly a collie, too, though the show bred ones aren't really known for their athletecism ('course you could say that about most breeds).
Old 01-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Wirehaired Pointing Griffin. I would love to have one of these dogs ...

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 01-18-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm All Ears

I really like GSDs, I've had one before. Also love aussies and bcs of course. And whippets and tollers. I just am trying to figure out which would be the 'best'. Maybe I can find a way to meet some more tollers. That breed intrigues me a lot and I don't have the experience with them like I do my other top choices. They sound essentially like a slightly more independent thinking bc.

Too many breeds, too little time. Or I should just find a way to make the 'Giant Mia' breed. lol

I like poodles, I just don't like the hair. I like easy to maintain coats. My dad wants a Griff. I should add that I'm getting into bird hunting btw. Right now I'm just practicing with my shotgun but one day I would like to be to a point where I can join in on the hunting. My family members all hunt (especially pheasants).
Old 01-18-2010, 08:21 PM
<------RIP Superdog

LOL, i was thinking poodle too until the "no grooming" part! You could just have them clipped close. You then dont have to worry about it or do maintence brushing.
I am currently on the hunt for a good performance (agility, obed., tracking, etc) poodle myself. Drivey with a deffinate "off switch". I like smart dogs too, so ideal choice for me.

Tollers sound like they could make the short list too. Ive never met one in person though. Very nice from what ive heard though. What about a vizsla? I really like them.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Puppy Dog

I was going to say Portuguese Water Dog, until I got to the no professional grooming part. But if you invested in a decent set of clippers and learned the retriever cut, you'd be golden.

My husband's family has always had Brittanys. They're also great in agility, love to swim, can learn to do just about anything, are very social with other dogs, and come with a great off switch. They can work all day and be just as happy sitting at your feet. And their coat is very manageable with basic bath/brushing.

I was also going to suggest a standard poodle or giant schnauzer, but again with the coat issues.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I should add that I'm getting into bird hunting btw. Right now I'm just practicing with my shotgun but one day I would like to be to a point where I can join in on the hunting. My family members all hunt (especially pheasants).
Definitely a Brittany then! Very versatile dogs. And from working lines, excellent on the birds.