Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 PM
petperson

The people that bring their large dog on the small dog side and wonder why I am looking at them. Their is a sign at each entrance specifying the appropriate weight of the allowable dog for that side. [/QUOTE]

I take Monday to the medium dog section, although she is 'way oversize, because she was getting beaten up in the big dog sector. Even though she weighs almost 80 pounds, she has NO idea how to defend herself. None. She was swarmed by a little group of dogs led by a pair of Huskies, and I had to pull and kick them off her. The owner of the ringleaders did not move a muscle, though the other owners ran to get their dogs. He said, "Aw, they're just playing; they like to play rough." (Never mind what I said.) And actually, he may have been right because they never actually broke the skin. But once you've heard your dog on the ground crying with fear and pain, you tend to not want to repeat the experience.

So we go to the medium dog section along with a number of other gentle big dogs who have had bad experiences in the "correct" section--several of them with those same Huskies. And yes, I did try to talk to the park ranger about this, but as long as my dog wasn't physically damaged, he cannot do anything about it. He knows about the Huskies; they're there all the time (I swear their owner must sleep there!) He'd love to be able to ban them, but his hands are tied.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

thanks for the reminder as to why I don't go much anymore.

I get alot of the busy-body /i don't care combos....they are grilling you about your dog while ignoring theirs.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 PM
petperson

I'd go elsewhere to let 'em run, but there isn't any elsewhere! We're pretty urban around here.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Yorkie Love

I have the same problem LolasDad, with people bringing their large dogs into the small dog section.

These people always say that their dog is nice, or their dog cant be in the size appropriate section but it is really frustrating. Large dogs can hurt a small dog without even trying, simply because they are much larger... they dont have to be aggressive or anything. This is the reason they make separations... if peoples dogs cant handle being in the correct section, they shouldnt be at the dog park, period.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:24 PM
orange iguanas.

I actually don't think I've noticed any of this at the dog park I go to. I suppose there are the "busy bodies," asking name, age, breed... but they don't give advice and part of the fun of going to the dog park is getting to know other people and their dogs.

But luckily every time I go, the owners are pretty watchful of their dogs, but not SO watchful that it's ridiculous. The worst I've seen is when there's one dog (usually a puppy) that keeps bullying one other dog, and the owner will kind of giggle "oh, Fido, be nice!" but not really do anything. But I probably only notice it because it's ALWAYS Juno that gets bullied. She'll have a puppy literally hanging off her neck and the owner laughs and thinks it's cute, I can only cringe and think my poor dog can't be enjoying that, so then we have to leave. Ugh.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Gigi Monster & Evil Puppy

Aargh. The ones who see their big dog harassing my dog, us trying to walk away from the situation and their dog following us, and they see no need to call their dog away or distract it. My dog doesn't find that enjoyable. And it is pretty obvious. So if I am walking her to another section of the park and your dog is still following us and harassing her . . . get a clue. Especially if your dog is trying to hump every dog in sight.

I don't understand people who think that just because there are tables in a dog park, a dog should be allowed on the table. Why? My dogs have no reasons to be on the table and I don't understand why yours does either. It certainly isn't enjoyable to me if I am sitting there watching my dog. And it isn't a practice I would want a dog to do at home.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Top Dog

I've never been to a dog park. When I dropped the foster off in OK we met at a dog park, but opted to go for an on-leash walk instead.

Supposedly there's a dog park here that just opened up, though I haven't gone yet. Now I don't know if I want to go.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Top Dog

I didn't realize Lola's Dad was the dog park police. I can see it now, frantically rushing around enforcing rules and making sure people and their dogs all stay in line. "You, that dog has balls, out!" "You, that dog is too big for this side of the park, out!" "You, those shoes don't match that belt, out!" "You, get that dog off the table, that's where Lola sits, out!"

I'm trying to figure out why an un-neutered dog would be tossed out. And how do you tell if a female is intact, or is that OK? Discrimination I tell you! My intact dog is far better behaved than most dogs at a dog park. Though I'd never take him to one, as it doesn't fit his personality, he's not about romping around with strange dogs.

It's pretty nasty to let a dog up on the table where people are eating. It's not cute at all. What about the person who has to use your table after you leave, are you disinfecting it? You want to see discipline around food? Search for the hot dog retreive trick.

Yeah, I'm one of them too.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:17 AM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

Quote:
I didn't realize Lola's Dad was the dog park police. I can see it now, frantically rushing around enforcing rules and making sure people and their dogs all stay in line. "You, that dog has balls, out!" "You, that dog is too big for this side of the park, out!" "You, those shoes don't match that belt, out!" "You, get that dog off the table, that's where Lola sits, out!"
Hehe...I couldn't help but get a few chuckles outta this...

I've never taken Samm to a dog park and as...'fun' as it sounds, I don't know if I ever will. Samm seems pretty much content playing with her human minion, not to mention most dogs that try to play with her don't get so much as a second glance. I don't know how she does it, but I don't think I've ever seen a dog give another pooch such a cold shoulder as she does. xD I'm not saying she doesn't play with other dogs, just ones she's known and decided she's comfortable with. Of course, she always likes to prove me wrong...
where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
~Milan Kundera
Old 01-20-2010, 12:18 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa92841 View Post
I don't understand people who think that just because there are tables in a dog park, a dog should be allowed on the table. Why? My dogs have no reasons to be on the table and I don't understand why yours does either. It certainly isn't enjoyable to me if I am sitting there watching my dog. And it isn't a practice I would want a dog to do at home.
Ergh I hate this. My friend's dog always sits on the table when we go (I don't even think he should be at the dog park, all he does is sit on the table the whole time and bark when dogs come near him, but that's another story). It's just annoying to be sitting there and then you have a dog jump up on you, or if the dog is already on the table, all of a sudden you have a cold, wet nose in your face. It's always the large dogs that do it, too.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013