Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

Default Bad Dog Park Etiquette

I found this on another site, it talks about the types of people that make dog parks a headache.
Quote:
The paranoid -
These folks are often right inside the dog park gate where they get the best vantage point for gawking in fear at all dogs that enter. The paranoid will often freak out if your dog even goes near their dog and make a big spectacle about protecting their pooch. “Get your mean, scruffy beast of a hound away from my darling dog Darla!”

The haters –
Similar to the paranoid, the haters spew anger rather than fear. One man went as far as picking up a pooper scooper and shaking it in my general direction when I walked in to a dog park with a pit bull mix. The dog had not done anything wrong – or even had time to do anything at all – but the man was ready and hating.

The “I don’t cares” –
These are the folks that unleash their dogs in the dog park then promptly start yakking on their cell phones or bury their noses in their books, not giving a dang what their dog is up to. They do not look up once, not to check if their dog has escaped nor to see if he happened to rip out another dog’s throat. One woman even once had the audacity to drop off her dog and ask someone to watch him, saying she’d be back in about 45 minutes as she had to run some errands.

The busybodies –
On the opposite end of the spectrum from the “I don’t cares,” we have the busybodies. They are in your business every step of the way, not only asking your dog’s name, age, breed and habits but also offering unwanted and unwarranted advice. “Your dog’s collar is too tight,” “Why do you let him jump on the table like that?” and “What do you feed him? His stool looks mushy.”

The pooper snoopers –
The pooper snoopers are a subset of the busybodies who are only concerned with one thing: where your dog just pooped. They will sit on one end of the park and yell across the entire expanse every time a dog goes to the bathroom. They don’t care if you are already on your way to the pile with a scooper or bag, as they seem to glean joy from making these loud announcements.
I've never been to a dog park,so I have never bumped into these kinds of people.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Yorkie Love

I have bumped into the paranoid ALOT... they freak out when dogs run up to greet theirs... HELLO your in a dog park, dogs are going to interact... THATS THE POINT.

I guess I am the busybody (lol!) I dont give advice or anything... but I like to ask about dogs, names, breeds, etc... although most people at "my" dog park do... it is nice though... you will hear people calling your dog by name, petting them, etc.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Cata what?

ugh. the 'i don't cares' are the worst.

Their dogs are always the troublemakers and they don't do anything about it.

Most people at my DP are pretty good. I'm there usually 2 times a week since I live in apartment and have no other choice for letting my dogs run.

Nyah - Catahoula Leopard Dog
Schatze - Vizsla

Tosca - DSH (tortoiseshell)
Zahli - Siamese Mix (tortiepoint)
Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

That's good! It makes a non-dog park person think twice before entering into such a strange and foreign land. Hahaha. I don't think I'd last two seconds in a dog park. I don't like busy bodies and I don't like the oblivious either. LOL. The paranoid could be fun to play with though.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

They are all there. I would add to it The Controllers. These people don't let their dogs just have fun being dogs. They are constantly calling their dog, telling them who to play with, insisting they fetch the ball....geez, it's their park, just let them play!

And sadly, I have also seen people drop their dogs off and leave for a while. We also once found a puppy about 12 weeks old just wandering around. Someone had dropped him there instead of taking him to the SPCA. We called the rangers who came and got him.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

I am so grateful for the pooper snoopers! Seriously...it's no fun to walk around the field scared of where you're going to step. If you bring your dog, you need to clean up after it.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 PM
and Spy.

The Paranoid can also be annoying because they 'hover' over the dogs. Like they get nervous when your dog sniffs theirs or when yours barks during play and whatnot... You just want to tell them to relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm All Ears

Ours is 90% the 'I don't cares' that's why we stopped going. So we go to just an off leash park that isn't specifically a dog park. I find the people that use that park to be a lot better, lol.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:51 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

THey left out the clueless. CRack me up. Some of that was spot on.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Top Dog

I've ran into:

The people that bring in to many dogs (limit is two per person) Had them tossed out

The people that have brought in their un-neutered dog. Had them tossed out.

The people that keep their dog on a leash inside a dog park. I give them about 5 minutes before I go over to them and ask them why. If at that time they do not want to take the leash off the dog I suggest that they walk the dog on leash around the outside of the fence to socialize the dog in a safe manner.

The people who did not pick their dog poop up and walked away with their dog when he got done pooping. With that one I walked over to the pile of poop and called the lady back and when she got their she said she didn't see the dog poop although she was standing with him their. She then thanked me for pointing it out to her and picked it up.

The people that bring their large dog on the small dog side and wonder why I am looking at them. Their is a sign at each entrance specifying the appropriate weight of the allowable dog for that side.

I also have heard the comments from people "Wow look at that dog jump up on the table" when Lola is jumping up on the table to be petted from someone that is sitting at the table that did not make the comment.

Then I tell that person who made the comment how I had Lola laying on a table at a dog street fair when I am sitting their eating a burger and fries with the burger and fries 6" from her nose and she is not even making an attempt to eat the food. They usually say they could never get their dog to do that. One guy that seen that at the street fair thought it was incredible.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola