Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Active Pup

Default What would you have done?

The other day, I was at a friend's house and they had his boxer inside the house and his four year old nephew was jumping on the dog's back and playing a too rough with it. I know some dogs don't mind it and enjoy the physical challenges but this dog was seriously getting annoyed. He was litteraly running away from the boy,a nd the the boy would chse him! I tried to tell him that he could bite if driven to the defensive but they all just laughed said he was a good dog and the boy was just playing around but I couldn't help feeling sorry for the dog and angry at them for letting the boy play like that with the dog. I feel like even if the dog is too kind to react, he shouldn't be tested like that.

Am I overreacting? Any thoughts?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:58 PM

No, your not. Some dogs would let kids do whatever, some won't. It's just an accident waiting to happen. I feel bad for the dog, too. The dog is going to blame at the end.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:23 PM
petperson

You're not overreacting at all. The parents don't respect their dog, the child isn't being taught to respect the dog, and when the dog bites, guess who's going to pay for it. Maybe you should try to talk to them again? It's a delicate situation; you can't push--but I'm worried about that child. And the dog too, of course. And the parents, because if anything happens, they will feel so guilty. Perhaps you could suggest a "time out spot," possibly in another room, where the dog could go and the child would not be allowed? Surely the parents of a little kid would understand the need to get away from it all now and then!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPP View Post
You're not overreacting at all. The parents don't respect their dog, the child isn't being taught to respect the dog, and when the dog bites, guess who's going to pay for it. Maybe you should try to talk to them again? It's a delicate situation; you can't push--but I'm worried about that child. And the dog too, of course. And the parents, because if anything happens, they will feel so guilty. Perhaps you could suggest a "time out spot," possibly in another room, where the dog could go and the child would not be allowed? Surely the parents of a little kid would understand the need to get away from it all now and then!
Thats the thing! They think its okay for their kid to do that. I love kids. I understand sometimes they're a little too rough sometimes. I don't blame the kid. I blame the adults because think its okay to accept that treatment towards the dog instead of teaching the kid how to act. I feel like the adults were treating the animal like an expensive toy. I told them that when the dog bits him, to not be surprised and start talking about how aggressive dogs can be. This the type of treatment that goes on with dogs who later attack their owners. They were being irresponsible towards the child (who could later be bitten especially if he thinks that treatment towards dogs who aren't as sweet is okay) and towards the dog (who was being harassed.)
Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Top Dog

Even though they trust the dog , it's not fair to him !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Top Dog

No, you're not over-reacting at all. It just astounds me what I see parents letting their little kids do to dogs and to cats. And when I look concerned or something, the invariable answer is, "Oh, he wouldn't bite. He's a good dog." The stupidity out there is just phenomenal. It is a delicate situation. Maybe you could tell a "story" about a kid and a dog you once knew. The dog was super duper tolerant, but harrassed by your "friends' dog" and one time, the dog happened to have a bad day all day...(another dog snarled and snapped at him, he got in trouble for getting in the garbage, he was hot and tired) That evening, the dog just couldn't take what he could before. His tolerance level had been reached and he ripped the kid's face off. Dogs will be dogs.

But yeah...it's hard to watch, not only for the kid's sake, but the poor dog that's beeing harrassed. I know your frustration.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Mutts to you

I probably would have gotten myself uninvited because I most likely would have called the dog to me, chastised the kid and kept him away from the dog.

I guess family is a bit different... my nephew (3-1/2) wanted to pet Riley. I said okay, and he proceeded to whack Riley on top of the head. I know my nephew didn't realize what he was doing, so I tapped him on the head and asked him if he liked it. He thought about it for a second and said, no. I told him the dog didn't like it either. He hasn't whacked Riley since...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 01-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Yorkie Love

My parents had these neighbors who just had to have a toy poodle because my parents did... they also had a young daughter... this girl would throw the dog on the floor (HARD!), swing it around using the leash, kick it, etc... the parents always refused to do anything, saying they wouldnt yell at their daughter because of a dog... REALLY?!?!?!?! You either teach your children to respect animals or you dont have animals in the house. That dog was the saddest thing I have ever seen... cowered like you were going to beat it anytime you went anywhere near it. It really makes me mad what people let their children do to animals.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

I agree with you and how you felt. You are totally right to feel that way....it's just, what do you say to people that think nothing of it..until it's too late or something bad happens... hmmm... :\

poor dog...
Old 01-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
My parents had these neighbors who just had to have a toy poodle because my parents did... they also had a young daughter... this girl would throw the dog on the floor (HARD!), swing it around using the leash, kick it, etc... the parents always refused to do anything, saying they wouldnt yell at their daughter because of a dog... REALLY?!?!?!?! You either teach your children to respect animals or you dont have animals in the house. That dog was the saddest thing I have ever seen... cowered like you were going to beat it anytime you went anywhere near it. It really makes me mad what people let their children do to animals.
That's horrible. I don't understand how they could be okay with that. Why wouldn't they want to have a loving, loyal dog for their daughter? They're letting her abuse the one thing that could really show her unconditional love.