Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Anyone wanna play a game of "guess that breed" (puppy pics!!)?

This is our newest member, Bennie. He came from the shelter a week ago. His paperwork said American Bulldog mix. Supposedly his owner/breeder surrendered them because she couldn't afford them. It didn't dawn on me until yesterday that if they have that much info why they don't have the other breed of the mix on the paperwork. Probably because it's a pit and "American Bulldog Mix" sounds more marketable. Which is fine with me. I wanted my next dog to be a bully breed of some sort, and I'm happy that he might be ABD.

Anyway, he's 14 weeks and about 20 pounds. I don't know the exact weight because his last weight check was at the beginning of January and I can only assume he's heavier now. He's taller than my tallest Jack at 13 inches. So I'm guessing about 15 inches.

He has the body type of a mastiff with a slight sway and the high angled hip and high tail set. The tail looks pit to me. His face is fawn, and the spot above his tail is brown/black.

He has really soft ears, and initially I saw pointer or hound as a mix, but his personality doesn't fit a pointer. He seems very mastiff to me. Very mellow, low energy. Likes to observe.

His head is very square and blocky. He's got the almond pit eyes, and a slight hint at the droopy mastiff eyes. Not very jowly though, which makes me doubt the ABD part, but supposedly that part is known. So who knows.

In the photos the white on his nose gives it a slight dished look, like a boxer, but he's not goofy at all like any of the boxer pups I know. And his head doesn't have that dished boxer look at all in person.

His legs and paws are absolutely gigantic for the size of his body. I think he is going to be big. His paws are *almost* as big as my 65-70 pound lab mix's feet.

Anyway, here's some pics...

Old 01-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

It's hard to say from the pics, but he's got an awful lot of length in the muzzle for a pure AB puppy. Of course, I know there are different 'types' and maybe he just doesn't look like the ones I've seen around. He almost looks houndy to me, like a Walker mixed with AB?

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Puppy Dog

Well he's definitely not a purebred AB. At least according to his paperwork. It specifies mix, just doesn't say what. Of course. LOL

I also see hound. That was my first guess as well. Not sure about the Treeing Walkers, they're not all that popular around here. Probably an English Foxhound, though I understand the two are very similar. I don't know a lot about hounds, to be honest. Aren't they both high energy breeds? He's so mellow and doesn't have much urge to run and romp. He runs about 15 paces and then stops and watches the other dogs play. lol
Old 01-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Taxiderpy

Some hounds are pretty mellow. The thing with mixes is that their energy levels, temperaments, etc. can be anywhere on the spectrum between the parent breeds. So, he could be a mellow pointer mix if he's mixed with a laid back breed. My aunt had a bull mastiff black lab mix (from known pure bred parents).

He was sooooo mellow. They named him Sonic as a joke. From the time he was a puppy to the day he died he did everything in slow motion. His energy level was 100% on the bull mastiff side.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Puppy Dog

Looks like pointer mix? possibly even some great dane in there. Either way, he's super cute, I'd love to see how he looks full grown, hes going to be a beautiful dog
Old 01-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Papillon Fancier

He looks kind of like a Boxer mix to me.

Proud Papillon fancier sinse '05. Cujo, my 4 yr old, heart dog, and River, my 12 month old, show dog/ princess.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 AM
The Littlest Hound

hounds are not nearly as energetic as people assume, they're just smart enough they get into trouble on occasion most of them are pretty active outside, and couch potatoes as soon as they're in... but for some reason in my experience I've met/owned/fostered a lot that were couch potatoes everywhere... heh. That being said, I don't see a lot of hound in him, but anything's possible! Can't wait to see how he grows up...

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 AM
ACoops favorite

I see alot of hound in his head...the body says bully breed.

I'd say he's probably some type of fox hound or maybe even pointer mixed with an AM Bull.

Don't really see a whole lot of pittie, but I haven't been around too many so please take this with a grain of salt.

I will say that he's a lovely puppy, and quite a find in a rescue environment!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Active Pup

I also see hound in the head .
April 6 y/o Female Brindle Boxer
Rory - 10 y/o Male White Boxer/Am Bulldog X
Old 01-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

I see a mixed breed possibly with some type of hound in it.

I do not see any of the "pit bull" breeds or other bulldog breeds in it.