Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-16-2010, 02:57 PM
tessa_s212

Default Food.inc

Anyone else seen this?

You know, my sister has been a vegetarian for over 3 years. I've known for some time some things about it. I know enough from my sister that I should have cared. I just never quite had the motivation. I've always felt the food industry was wrong, but how was I supposed to help that? starve myself? I couldn't afford organics, and if I tried to eat better I'd be eating far less.

But after watching that movie... they finally had the right idea. They just barely touched on the idea of the poor treatment of the animals, and focused more on the poor treatment of the people in the industry, and of course focused majorly on just how unhealthy it all is for YOU and for your CHILDREN. People should care about the animals, but they don't. But if you turn it around and show them how it could be hurting their children, maybe that'll make them rethink it all. I already know that I never wanted Mason to have formula, I know that he won't get the jarred baby foods (I want to make it at home from fresh produce), I'm not vaccinating him.. I'm already doing so much to provide him the healthiest start possible.. I think I just needed that little extra nudge to put that plan into action.

It's been in the back of my head for many years that I'd like to eat better or ONLY eat/buy meat from humane, local, small farms. Walmart is convenient.. but it is time I start looking for places that take foodstamps that sell local products.

If you're like me, and have had that little voice in the back of your mind wondering about all the horrors of factory farming and the food industry.. this is an excellent movie/documentary to watch!!! I highly recommend it.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Never seen it... but i am a vegetarian.....

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-16-2010, 03:35 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

we hunt

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

It was pretty good, I've seen it. It's really sad and it some of it is really unhealthy, but I can't stop eating meat, and I won't.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Just try me..

Haven't seen it. But if you watch documentaries you won't eat anything except maybe what you find in pristine areas grown by hermits.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Feh, didn't like it. Way, WAY biased, misleading, and full of misinformation.

I loved the part where they were talking about all the things from corn and how our food is just 're-shaped corn' now a days. They may have a beef with high fructose corn syrup but after that it was just comical. Flashing a bunch of scary sounding words like 'diglycerides' and 'ascorbic acid' without explaining them. Really? This is quality documentaries? Diglycerides are perfectly natural AND healthy and ascorbic acid is just 'Vitamin C'. What a load of bullshit.

Then they're talking about the big time chicken producer people and they say something like 'this guy makes only $13,000 a year'. And they're right, he does! But that's PURE PROFIT after he's paid back the company and that's PER CHICKEN HOUSE. He had 4 of those bad boys, so he's making $13,000/yr * 4 and then whatever else he does on the job, because taking care of those chickens isn't a full time job. Oh and that big 'bust' they had where they're clearing out the dead chickens? Chickens die all the time, they're not very hardy creatures AND they peck each others eyes out, there's going to be casualties regardless of how dense you pack them.

Also I loved their idea of an ideal farmer. They're vehemently against chickens being 'crowded' together but shoving a chicken head first through a shoot and sawing its head off? PERFECTLY FINE! DO IT DO IT DO IT! Hypocrisy, thy name is.

It'd be one thing if they chose to target the companies that own the seeds (and thus the farmers have to harvest them and return them, and should the seeds spread through natural means [like they're supposed to] and cross-pollinate with other strains, the company can sue them for copyright infringement) but they didn't. They went for flashy, meaningless **** that only told half the story and tried to make it sound credible. And they did a good job at making it sound factual and honest, it's just a shame it isn't.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 01-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Have no interest whatsoever. I've found that those "documentaries" are really editorials that are spun to favor the opinion of the film maker.

I eat meat. I know where it comes from. I simply don't care
Old 01-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassOnion View Post
It'd be one thing if they chose to target the companies that own the seeds (and thus the farmers have to harvest them and return them, and should the seeds spread through natural means [like they're supposed to] and cross-pollinate with other strains, the company can sue them for copyright infringement) but they didn't. They went for flashy, meaningless **** that only told half the story and tried to make it sound credible. And they did a good job at making it sound factual and honest, it's just a shame it isn't.

I know.. monsanto is MUCH scarier than any meat producing company I have heard of.

And most of the documentaries on Monsanto aren't 'out there' most of the science isnt' thrown around in a scare tactic way either.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:38 PM
tessa_s212

This movie is NOT about making you a vegetarian. NOT at all. Never once did it discourage meat eating, it just encourages you to know where your food is coming from, and to get it from good, reputable, honest, humane sources.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:38 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
I eat meat. I know where it comes from. I simply don't care
Same here. I eat meat, I use animal products, and I like leather and fur........don't see that changing anytime soon. I also know I won't be living in the country growing/raising my OWN food anytime soon (if ever) either so I'd rather not see