Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Photography

Old 02-07-2010, 11:21 AM
swimming upstream

Default Point and shoot suggestions

I am currently looking for a decent point and shoot camera--to be used for taking pictures of events and activities with preschoolers. So I would like something that takes a decent picture, and does not have a significant delay to it. Other considerations--would like an easy to charge battery (long lasting), and easy to upload for computer use. Any one have suggestions?
Cost--am looking in the less than one hundred to max of two hundred range (could be with extra battery)..
Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Mutts to you

I had a Nikon Coolpix, was in your price range and wasn't too bad. Photos weren't always as sharp as I'd like (mostly with macro shots) but that's why I upgraded to a DSLR. The nice thing about it was that it took AA batteries - no worries about charging anything unless you wanted to get the rechargeable batteries.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 02-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Top Dog

I absolutely adore canon's point and shoot cameras. They are consistently rated highly, are very intuitive to use, the battery lasts a long time, and the pictures are great. I bought a dslr, but I continually use my canon P&S for most things instead of the dslr. They're reasonably priced too. I would probably go with something like this:

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SD1200IS 10 MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD (Silver): Electronics

Comes in lots of colors too!

Snark does have a point that the ones that take AA batteries are nice and convenient. The canon replacement batteries are pretty cheap though, so it's not a big deal to pick up another one and always have one charged.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 02-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Twin 2.0

Though I'm a die-hard Nikon DSLR fan, I'm seriously considering going with Sony or Canon for my P&S. I need something I can take out on the bike, which means little to no delay and a video function would be nice as well.

So those would be the two I'd check out.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Who woulda thought <3

The only thing I dont like about Cameras that take "normal" batteries, is that they seem to die very very fast....
Old 02-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
The only thing I dont like about Cameras that take "normal" batteries, is that they seem to die very very fast....
Not if you use photo lithium batteries... My DSLR is a Pentax, it takes AA batteries and they last a good long time unless I'm constantly using a flash or trying to take lightning shots...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 02-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Not if you use photo lithium batteries... My DSLR is a Pentax, it takes AA batteries and they last a good long time unless I'm constantly using a flash or trying to take lightning shots...
Maybe its just me!!! lol

cause I did use the lithium batteries, and they died just as fast... lol
Old 02-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

I experienced the dying fast thing too when I had a kodak that took AA batteries, but that was at least 6-7 years ago, so I would imagine technology has evolved quite a bit since then. It's probably a stat you can read up on for individual cameras.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG