Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Bored Now.

Wowwwwwwww.

I am really slacking.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Vee

In case the vet didn't tell you, Prednisone is a steroid, often given for allergies. That's why he probably gains weight, a common side effect.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Active Pup

my dogs had 'allergies', so they say, and experienced hair loss..... we changed the dog food to a human grade quality and the allergies went away

Old 02-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Dog-Training-Outlet.com

I would make some dietary changes and see if that helps. If not it may be environmental allergy, so make some changes around the house and see if you can figure it out. Since he hasn't always had it it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what has changed recently either in his diet or in the house or outside that he's exposed to that may be causing it.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Taking suggestions

@ Renee - Thank you!!! I am headed to the vet with my male. He's been losing a lot of hair on the abdomen and joints and chewing his feet. Its not demodex or any other mange and it seems food related. I switched him to Taste of the Wild (its the only all-natural brand around for 3 hours). Anyone heard/like it? If that doesn't work, I'll try out BARF (opinions)?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi Needs A Friend View Post
@ Renee - Thank you!!! I am headed to the vet with my male. He's been losing a lot of hair on the abdomen and joints and chewing his feet. Its not demodex or any other mange and it seems food related. I switched him to Taste of the Wild (its the only all-natural brand around for 3 hours). Anyone heard/like it? If that doesn't work, I'll try out BARF (opinions)?
I recently switched my dogs to TOTW (2 monthsish ago) and it's great. I actually cut back the amount I was feeding Mu and both of them are super shiny and soft. They were before but not quite to the same extent.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 05-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Active Pup

Here's my two-pence worth

Allergies are hypersensitivity reactions to something, whether it be from food, soap, shampoo, medications, pollen, etc.

Prednisone and similar medications are not the solution to allergies.

Both dog owner and your vet should work together to find out the root of the problem for only then will our pets be free from allergies.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 AM
robertspears

I have not read every post in this thread, but if your dog is suffering from pollen allergy, one of the best ways to help eliminate is to contact a local beekeeper, asking for a little honey and give this honey every day, as the local pollen that bees make from local plants, the honey helps to desensitize the dog, this works,
Old 02-16-2012, 02:47 AM
Animal Nutritionist

I am a doctor of veterinary medicine, and animal scientist/nutritionist. I can tell you that allergies are pretty common these days, and some of the most powerful allergens are proteins. Grains are usually not a problem if they don't contain gluten. So, rice, millet, oats, and some other grains are fine.
Unfortunately, if you don't want to try raw, or home made food, you will have to experiment with lots of brands to find one that doesn't cause problems. The worst choice is dry food, because it's full of additives which stimulate allergies.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Active Pup

I think you must follow the vetís orders. Prednisone is a glucocorticoid which is use as an anti inflammatory to relieve your dog's allergic reactions just like Benadryl. This drug should be taken in critical care for it is dangerous not to follow the vet's orders.