Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Puppy Dog

We need to consider a few points here. (1) What is an "allergy' in this case. In dogs and cats, the skin is usually the target organ for allergies (in humans it is the respiratory system). This means that allergies usually (but not always) manifest as itchy skin. (2) Even in food related allergies, you can add or subtract ingredients to your hearts desire, but if you don't eliminate the offending food type, the allergy persists. (3) No matter what you do with the diet, you will have very little impact on say, a flea allergy.
The point is that altering the diet may positively impact on a food allergy sufferer, but will have little direct effect on other types of allergies.Diet is not an all encompassing solution to every allergy.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Felurian

No, but it's a great place to start looking, and good nutritional support is always a cornerstone of good health.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Top Dog

i would use a different dog food. I wouldnt use anything with corn or wheat in it. Puma my older Ridgeback would itch all the time on Science Diet. I switched her to Nutro Natural and it pretty much stopped. I looked and seen that Nutro has corn gluten in it. So I went to Innova and havent had any problems. It is also human grade. All my dogs react that way to Lamb too. And remember just like most other drugs, they just mask a symtom of a bigger problem.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Beagle Bailey

My sister's Yorkie has had problems with allergies and skin reactions for several years. The summer months are the worst on him and I used to feel so sorry for him as he would have bumps all over his body, constantly scratching at them and they'd get irritated and infected.

A couple of years back her vet was advising on the shots very frequently and it got to a point where he wasn't getting any relief. Then a friend of hers suggested she change his food and would you imagine....whoala!! He cleared up and has been much better ever since.

It is truely unfortunate that more vets do not recommend a food change before subjecting these little ones and our pocket books to all of this medicine. It is just like our doctors, and most people for that matter, want to solve everything with a pill. It frustrates me.

Sorry for my rant...but I feel better now.

[
Old 04-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Puppy Dog

Smile

This is not a simple food allergy. As described, there was a seasonal aspect with him scratching more during the summer months. This would not have happened if it was a simple food allergybut is typical of flea allergies, atopies etc (at least initially).
The likely explanation is that he is allergenic to several things - e.g. a food type, fleas, pollens etc. By removing the food allergen, you have dropped the "irritation load" below the scratch threshold and so he doesn't scratch anymore.
However, if the other factors are not corrected, you might well find that as he grows older the itches return - simply because allergic animals tend to become allergic to more thing as they get older which in turn pushes up the irritation load.
A further interesting point is that generally speaking - food allergies don't respond well to cortisone therapy (while other allergies do - although it is not a cure but just relieves the symptoms). So that would support a food allergy diagnosis while the seasonality does not.

Makes life interesting (+sometimes frustrating!)
Old 08-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Puppy Dog

Default allergies and dog food

Hi everyone , I just wanted to share my experience with you.
My german shepherd was scratching constantly! causing bald spots
It was really bad. I tried all kinds of cream, shampoo, rinses, ointments,
took her to the vet with no help. I cooked her home made meals.
Nothing worked till I put her on Purinas Beneful Healthy Radiance Dog
Food. It made a world of difference in her. If your dog has this
problem, give it a try. It cant hurt.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Active Pup

Default Natural treatments are best

After more thab 30 years of owning and rescuing dogs and cats I have found that natural is best.
Allergies could be complicated and your vet will almost always recommend chemicals because he/she gets great perks from makers of drugs for doing so.
I personally have found great results with natural produces that work just as well or even better, I am so elated that I have found these treatments and cures.
Read this article http://www.supernaturaldog.com/
Good luck to you..
Old 08-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Top Dog

I agree to a certain point .... I personally would go to a Canine Dermatologist first ....save a lot of $$ and anguish in the long run .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Active Pup

Was your old vet Dr. Butler??? I live near you. Can you tell me about the holistic vet you go to???

Thanks!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Active Pup

Here's a post I made on another forum. I took the freebie link out cuz I don't want you to think I'm selling something. I just hate it when any dog has an allergy that is difficult to remedy.

This recipe works for many dogs because they haven't been exposed to fish and after using if for about a week you should see results, mostly in the lack of itching, but also in the coat becoming brighter.

The key of course is to eliminate various food items one by one to find out what is causing the allergy. Sometimes it's not food and this is when you need a GOOD vet to tell you what to do.

Here's a hint on finding a good vet; your friends recommendations AND when you go to a vet who sells ANY brand of dog food, (don't let him look at the bag) ask him what the first ingredient is. Chances are he won't know, even though he's selling it. Then ask him what the protein percentage is; he probably won't know that either.

If he doesn't know the answers, get another vet.

WHY? because he is pushing a very important product that affects your dogs life and he doesn't even know what he's selling. This should cause you to ask yourself, do I want to put my dogs future in this persons hands? Especially if he is going to give my best friend a powerful drug?

Here's my response in another forum to a serious food allergy;

My brother Panda is lot like you. Just about everything gives him the itches!

Panda has driven my human almost mad, and believe me it was a short trip.

Fortunately for Panda he writes dog health and natural home made dog food recipe books so I eat really good all the time.

He feeds Panda (my brother) whitefish, rice and potatoes and it seems to work better than most foods whenever he has an "allergy" outbreak. I seldom get them anymore because I only eat the food my human makes me. Panda is allergic to everything, sometimes even me I think.

Here's how my human makes it;

Panda's Favorite "Yucky" Food (He calls it yucky cuz he only gets it when he has the yucks.

3 medium potatoes (skins included)
4 filets whitefish (or salmon)
1 cup white rice
1/2 tsp salt

Boil potatoes in 3 qt sauce pan or larger

+ Cut potatoes into 1 inch pieces and boil in 3 qt saucepan
+ Add rice when potatoes are 3/4 complete (potatoes firm but not soft)
+Add fish when rice is just beginning to soften (it takes only about 3 minutes in boiling water to make the fish tender and really good)

When the fish begins to break up add salt. Do not over cook (potatoes should not be overly soft, but somewhat firm)

Drain and mix but do not "mash" the potatoes (leave little chunks - great for chewing).

The rice should not be soft and the fish will have broken into small pieces.

Let cool and serve. My master says it's good enough for him to eat!

Depending on how big you are, this should make about 5 to 7 servings.

My human feeds Panda a normal serving in the morning and at night. He leaves the rest in the fridge no longer than 4 days.

It usually takes Panda about 5 to 7 days to get back to normal and then he puts him on his normal home made diet, which he changes every three weeks or so to keep all of us from getting bored and keeps us healthy and happy.

He said you could have this eBook to try some of the other great tasting natural home made dog foods. I like them all.

Here it is;

Junior

PS. Let me know how you liked the recipe.

Last edited by DogTreats; 11-13-2006 at 11:28 AM.