Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-13-2010, 10:25 PM
orange iguanas.

Default Will she ever stop whining??

Juno is the whiniest dog I have EVER met. She whines all the time for (seemingly) no reason. She's laying with me on the couch? She'll whine. She's chewing on a toy? She'll whine. Just went on a walk and/or spent an hour at the dog park? We come home and she whines.

Attention whining I could understand. But she'll do this even when she's getting attention. She'll do it even if she's had exercise. I don't know how the heck to stop it... we've all pretty much learned to live with it but tonight was her first obedience class and she whiiiiined the whole hour. I know part of it was because she wanted to play with the other dogs and I also know she does it when she's frustrated because I'm not giving her a treat, but along with it being incredibly annoying, it was slightly embarrassing to have the annoying dog that won't be quiet.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

Has she been checked over by a vet to make sure there's nothing physically bothering her? Otherwise, what do you do when she whines? How do you respond to her? And is she getting ample, hard exercise? Obedience practice?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-14-2010, 08:45 PM
orange iguanas.

We've never brought it up to the vet... what sort of thing would they check for? Would they just have to do some general testing to see if anything turned out abnormal?

When she whines I ignore it. Except in class last night, I tried giving her more attention just to try to get her to be quiet. I feel like the exercise is adequate, it's more difficult now that it's so cold outside but we still go for daily walks, play fetch, and about once a week or so we go to the dog park and hike through the woods for about an hour. I squeeze in obedience when I can... maybe 40 minutes a day, typically?

It's like she whines for every sort of emotion. When she's excited, when she's frustrated, when she wants something...

Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Crazy Dog!

How old is she now?

You might try teaching a quiet command. Have a clicker handy, and treats within a few feet of you. Sit on the couch with her and just relax, pet her and watch TV. If she is whining, let it go one for a few minutes, then all of the sudden stop petting her and maybe shift your weight a bit. This will be a distraction to momentarily stop her from whining. As soon as she stops whining, click. Then run to the treats and dole out a few. Do this in every situation, then, right before you can distract her say "quiet". Do your distraction, then click/treat. It will take a while and lots of patience, but hopefully it will work for you.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Top Dog

Have you done TTouch on her. Get, Tellington Touch for Your Dog, by Linda Jones-Tellington. You dog could be suffering from headaches. Even if she doesn't the light massage should help.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:42 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
How old is she now?
9.5 months. I thought maybe it was just a phase she'd grow out of, just like her "sassy" stage when she'd bark at me whenever I told her to do something... but now that she's been doing this whining thing for a good few months now, I'm realizing that this is just how Juno is.

I feel like most of the time she just does it because she WANTS something. But I don't always know what she wants and I'm certainly not going to give her what she wants if she's whining. Like for her obed. class, one of the things I'm working on is having her focus on me for 5 seconds. And right around 3 seconds, she'll start making this grunting, whining noise because, I presume, she wants the treat and is frustrated it's taking me so long to give it to her. It annoys me because I need to c/t for her giving me the attention, but I don't want her thinking I'm rewarding the whining. Or when we go to the dog park, she starts whining as soon as we pull into the parking lot (or, sometimes, she whines for the majority of the car ride). Or if I won't let her on the couch/my bed, she whines.

Maybe a quiet command would be helpful... I'm just afraid I won't be able to keep up the level of consistency that would take. Especially when I'm working against my mom, who seems to reverse any training I do...

Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Like for her obed. class, one of the things I'm working on is having her focus on me for 5 seconds. And right around 3 seconds, she'll start making this grunting, whining noise because, I presume, she wants the treat and is frustrated it's taking me so long to give it to her. It annoys me because I need to c/t for her giving me the attention, but I don't want her thinking I'm rewarding the whining.
I worked with a dog that was really bad about whining. He LOVED training, so he would whine a lot during training sessions because he was frustrated waiting for a treat. I treated whining with him the same way I treated demand barking in my other dogs - if he whined, I'd turn my head away and wait for him to stop whining before I'd engage with him again. It did get worse before it got better - because then he was frustrated that I wasn't looking at him - but eventually it did get better. The most difficult part is being consistent and NEVER reinforcing the whining.