Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Just to clarify something - the white GSD is not excluded from the show ring if registered with ckc . It can go into the ring but the reason you don't see them is that although they can be shown, no judge will ever put them up, the standard requires it to be standard in every aspect including colour. So it's wasting an entry fee to put the dog in, probably another good reason for not entering them.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM
orange iguanas.

The GSD/swiss shepherd thing reminds me of cairn terriers. Westies are, really, just white cairn terriers because white is a DQ for cairns as well. Obviously in that case, there are no health problems associated with the color if Westies are the result.

With boxers, it's a DQ if over 1/3 of their markings are white. Deafness is common among white boxers... Juno's breeder has a white girl who has no issues, but out of the 2 deaf dogs I've ever met, one of them was a white boxer.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Just try me..

There is deafness in JRTs.. but they can be all white no issues.. they just have to be minimum 1/2 white.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
That is the problem. My little brother got assigned to the county K9 unit a while ago. He said they were looking for a lighter colored dog but couldn't find any available from proven, serious working kennels that were silver or white. Everybody is using Czech stuff now, and most of those dogs are black or sable.
Sable is the dominant color so I'd expect most dogs from good breeders should be the dominant color. Why not look at a malinois?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
From what i've heard... White boxers can be genetically sound and it's not even a mutation, just a colour that is dangerous. If you breed a white to a white it can potentially be dangerous. There's a higher incidence of skin issues, blindness, deafness, and even still borns when breeding white to white. Kinda like that one coat colour in collies/shelties that result in bad things (double dilutes right?) but some can potentially come out fine.

Don't know if it's all true, i'm no boxer expert. But that's what i've gleaned from an ex-boxer breeder who had a white in her stock.

White in Boxers is just the extreme white spotting gene. I've always found the stigma about white Boxers peculiar. Sure, they are sometimes deaf. But, it's the same genetics that you find in white Bull Terriers, Dogo Argentinos, and a modification on what you find in Dalmatians and Australian Cattle Dogs. Somehow none of those breeds have managed to implode, and most of them actually can hear and are no less healthy than the average breed.

Here is a good link on white Boxers: http://bit.ly/6PjQTW
Old 01-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Top Dog

I read the reason white GSD's were selected against was because they didn't stand out against the sheep enough.

Black is recessive, yet common enough, so no real reason white couldn't be, even if sable is dominant.

I like them. Someday I'm going to figure how to get a working one. Does white occur in mals or dutch shepherds?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Does white occur in mals or dutch shepherds?

I don't think so. I've seen livers, blues, and tanpoints, but not white or even ee yellows. It wouldn't shock me though, as they are all so closely related.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
I read the reason white GSD's were selected against was because they didn't stand out against the sheep enough.

Black is recessive, yet common enough, so no real reason white couldn't be, even if sable is dominant.

I like them. Someday I'm going to figure how to get a working one. Does white occur in mals or dutch shepherds?
My understanding is that its the pattern that is recessive not the colour. But yes even recessive colours are common enough in many breeds. Black (and white) is dominant in JRTs to tan and white.. yet the black and white is more rare.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
My understanding is that its the pattern that is recessive not the colour. But yes even recessive colours are common enough in many breeds. Black (and white) is dominant in JRTs to tan and white.. yet the black and white is more rare.
Sable is a pattern isn't it?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
Sable is the dominant color so I'd expect most dogs from good breeders should be the dominant color. Why not look at a malinois?
I'd have to ask him, but my guess is that the K9 handlers are used to working GSDs and mals are a bit different, so to speak . People tend to gravitate toward what they're familiar with.

I did like these whites, it looks like this kennel has been doing things right for a couple of decades now. Google translate makes some bizarre translations though, lol. "Stallions" They do have some of their swiss shepherds working as police dogs.

LES BERGERS BLANCS SUISSES DES GARDIENS DU PACTE