Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Not a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammgirl View Post
I posted exactly what ACampbell said with out seeing what she typed.

I totally agree!
LOL great minds and all that. I think that's where the idea of the whole "nazi" thing comes in, because they wouldn't use whites because of the visibility factor.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:22 PM
<--------Orson

I can totally understand the "visibility factor" LOL.........makes perfect sense

Good to know that White GSD are not any more at risk for health issues than their colored counterparts! That is what I always thought........but when it was mentioned they weren't allowed in the show ring it confused me
Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Not a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I can totally understand the "visibility factor" LOL.........makes perfect sense

Good to know that White GSD are not any more at risk for health issues than their colored counterparts! That is what I always thought........but when it was mentioned they weren't allowed in the show ring it confused me
Depends on the show ring, for AKC no, not allowed, DQ fault...but UKC allows them I believe, not sure if it's under Suisse Shepherd or GSD though as I'm not too familiar with the UKC.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
<--------Orson

OH! And that reminds me, another question! hahahaha, I am full of them tonight eh?

When it comes to this "Swiss Shepherd"..........when a white pup is born to "regular marked" parents, do they just yank the pup from the "GSD" breed and toss it into the "Swiss Shepherd" side of things? Or do these pups come from White dam, White sire, with white siblings? Does that makes sense?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Drivey and Intense

Max v Stephanitz, the breed founder, never liked a solid colored dog. He did also say that "No good dog is a bad color," with which I do agree.

White became a disqualification in the 60's but in 1959 they apparently began DQ'ing dogs that were 50% or more white. That is the GSDCA standard, not sure when the SV starting nixing white dogs. I do believe Germany practiced heavy culling in litters until recently, and may still do with the showlines. At the time, the worry was health but as stated above, they later realized that health has nothing to do with the white gene in the GSD. White is just a masking color- the dog could be a black sable or solid black but appear totally white due to that masking gene.

Honestly, if a panda-colored German shepherd has absolute bomb-proof temperament, perfect health, and unbelievable work ethic, I'd take it and breed it in a heartbeat, nuts to the color. This is a WORKING breed and color should not be a concern when there are more pressing needs like health/temperament/ability needing attention!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

I think the swiss shep people use a known lineage of white dogs. I don't know if they have an open stud book or not.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I think the swiss shep people use a known lineage of white dogs. I don't know if they have an open stud book or not.
Ah ok. I wasn't sure if it was something like beagles with the different sizes into different categories.........which actually you can get ALL the categories from one litter sometimes, LOL

I think I'm done "hounding" for answers tonight, LOL
Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post
White GSD's are undesireable for things like police work because, well let's face it, a white dog stands out at night...not exactly what you want when you're trying to raid a drug dealers house, lol.

I'll have to get a picture of my mom's wolf hybrid that we had when I was growing up. He was white GSD crossed on a black and tan GSD/wolf mixed bitch. So while very little wolf in him, he was interesting looking. White, bigger than a GSD, yellow eyes...and pink pigmented nose. I remember we used tattoo ink on his nose in the summer since he sunburned so bad.

That being said, I cannot think of any health concerns that are prevalent in white GSD's specifically, but affect the breed as a whole.
The visibility issue isn't the same as in years past though. In America, when cops release a dog after a suspect, they are required to announce that they are releasing a dog. It's not like the dude is going to see a white dog coming and outrun it or anything.

Also, in recent years many more police dogs have been accidentally killed by friendly fire than by suspects shooting them. Having a highly visible dog becomes an asset in that sort of situation.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

No visibility probably isn't the issue, it's an issue of no serious working breeder's using them and testing them for the past hundred years that the chance of finding one capable of performing the work is pretty low.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
No visibility probably isn't the issue, it's an issue of no serious working breeder's using them and testing them for the past hundred years that the chance of finding one capable of performing the work is pretty low.
That is the problem. My little brother got assigned to the county K9 unit a while ago. He said they were looking for a lighter colored dog but couldn't find any available from proven, serious working kennels that were silver or white. Everybody is using Czech stuff now, and most of those dogs are black or sable.