Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Is anyone familiar with Caucasian Ovcharka?

I grew up in Eastern Europe and this breed is immensely popular as a guard dog, but its very rare here, which is suprising to me. They are absolutely wonderful dogs, though a bit standoffish and need solid training/socialization from an early age since they are prone to territorial agression. I still have a very vivid childhood memory of walking 1/2 hour to a local amusement park that was closed down to feed and talk to this dog that was chained to a cable inside one of the rides. The poor animal got zero interaction and obviously wasnt very good at his job, but he was still fairly young, around 6 months of age. About a month later, the owner spotted me hanging out with the dog and I never saw him again
I'm saving up money to buy a house with some land so I can get this lovely breed of dog.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Top Dog

they are rare in part because we've only had good relations w/ eastern europe for the last two decades. also most americans aren't really very good w/ easy dogs like labs & goldens so the caucasian ovtcharka is too much dog for most. i like what i know about them but don't see myself getting one unless an ideal rescue situation fell into my lap.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Twin 2.0

I won't say that I'm overly familiar with the CO, but we've had a couple of members with the breed on here over the years. Very beautiful dogs, not all that easy to handle by most people. Very protective, seemingly pretty reactive as well.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Snow Girl

I have a fair amount of exposure with the breed. A few good friends of mine own some and have had litters. I am a huge fan of them for sure! I would love to own one some day but I don't feel its right to have them living in an urban environment so I will not get one unless I am living way out in the country some day (which is my dream anyways!). Ideally with some horses and maybe a couple cows for him to protect too.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Salty Sea Dog

i dont know much about them other than they are absolulty gorgeous!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 01-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Puppy Dog

I know, theyre just stunning dogs, but I will definitely do a ton of research if I ever consider getting one, definitely not a city dog by any means, ideally I would like to have few acres of land, I always dreamed of rescuing/fostering animals, dogs, horses and even having couple milk goats and chickens for eggs.

good doggie!!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Squishy face

Here's a few threads by Planet Molosser, she owns several CAS.

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t104914/

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t98534/

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t96314/

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t38155/

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Twin 2.0

CAS and CO's are VERY different dogs. Same country of origin, similar look, but different drives and temperaments.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Puppy Dog

They're beautiful, but they're one of VERY few breeds that terrify the crap out of me
Old 01-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
CAS and CO's are VERY different dogs. Same country of origin, similar look, but different drives and temperaments.
the problem is that different types from different countries are lumped into one or both "breeds."