Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Salty Sea Dog

i do LOVE the danes, i just dont love that short lifespan

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 01-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

CC is more Mastiff in temperament and look. Presa IMHO is higher Drive and when you find a good working one it would make a better defender than the CC (That again IMHO).

If you do decide on a Presa the two best kennels are
Pet Boarding Minneapolis | Dog Kennels and Trainer Minneapolis MN
OAKLEAF RANCH WORKING PRESA CANARIOS

Especially Red Star, they are not show dogs but her kennel has the most working titled Presas produced by far. They are not cheap 2-3k but if you want health tested and working Presas you'll find what you are looking for there. They also raise serious working Mals.

Irina (Redstar) really knows dogs and training protection dogs and protection sports.

with all that said....

Talk to planet molosser because I actually think a better fit for you would be a Central Asian Shepherd. The CAS is a true LGD where as a Presa or CC really isn't.

My understanding is that a CAS is much better working with other dogs and animals in general.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Salty Sea Dog

im actually thinking about CAS already as my LGD...but they might be too much dog for me, they are gorgeous though.

right now the cane corso is definatly looking like a better fit for me than the pressa would be...

Old 01-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
im actually thinking about CAS already as my LGD...but they might be too much dog for me, they are gorgeous though.

right now the cane corso is definatly looking like a better fit for me than the pressa would be...
I remember PM mentioning at one point that they get dogs with temperaments all across the spectrum in the breed rescue. Some very soft teddy bears, and others very sharp, hard dogs. When the time is right you may find the perfect one waiting for a home. Or PM might be able to refer you to someone who produces dogs with the kind of temperament you like. Even in a working bred litter you get some variation.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Lab Love

If you don't want something as sharp as a CAS.. Have you thought about a Tibetan Mastiff?

They can have same-sex aggression however their prey drive is minimal compared to a Presa or a Corso, as they are LGD's.. but they property guard and do not bond like a Maremma does with livestock.

I don't know much about Maremma's and they may not be what you're looking for.. but you can check them out. I know that they don't have any major dog issues, are a true LGD, and have zero prey drive.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 01-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post

Ah...I miss read, I thought you wanted the CC or Presa as your LGD. That makes sense to me now. Have you thought about an American Bulldog instead of a CC or Presa?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Salty Sea Dog

i havent, i dont realy know much about them.
i always worry about the bulldogs (of any prefix) famous skin issues...

Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Felurian

There are a couple of Canes in my weight pull association. They're beautiful dogs, nice obedience, but have to be separated every now and then, even though they're the same sex. From watching those two and talking to their experienced owner, and what I've read about them, I don't think I'd be too quick to leave one in a home with the Cresties.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Top Dog

A woman with a Cane has been coming to where I train Gunnar. It will be a LONG process before the dog gets to bite a sleeve. It's so fearful that right now the training consists of the handler holding the leash, the decoy moving in, and if the dog takes a single step forward towards the decoy and barks, he runs away to build the dog's confidence. If anyone were to rush the dog it'd be done for good, it's that bad. I'm sure this is an extreme example though, I can't imagine this is typical of the breed.

Yeah, I'm one of them too.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Salty Sea Dog

i have no worries on dogs being alone together EVER, the cresties are crate trained, i dont mind leaving the cresties and wowies loose togehter, but with anything over 25lbs, its not worth the risk, no matter what large breed i get, even if its the sweetest softest most teddy bear dog in the univers with the other dogs, the cresties will be crated at night, and during the day "big dog" will be with me, or the cresties will be with me, and if any are home togehter, itll either be crated or seperated.
especially with jasper, hes such a trouble maker lol.
right now when we go out and leave them all home there restricted to the living/dining/kitchen. area, the rest of the house is closed off.