Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-03-2010, 02:39 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
For those of you who said it's neglect but not necessarily abuse..........Neglect IS abuse, it's just a more passive form of it. If someone were STARVING their dog to death, I would most definitely call that abuse, it's just ABUSE by neglect IMO. Look up terms we use for child abuse........theres mental, physical, neglect, etc etc.

Anyway, yes I think it's abuse. It's abuse born of ignorance as many have pretty much said. Many do it out of "guilt" and misplaced "affection".......(same way they get their kids up to morbidly obese IMO)......the dog spends time alone, give him an extra yum yum to make up for it, the dog doesn't get to go for walks or have fun? Well here's something tasty to show I wuv my wittle pumpy umpkin, LOL

No I don't think there should be MORE laws made on the subject because if they followed the laws they have NOW, obesity would fall into the abuse category already established

PS, I wish I had a chaz owner to control my food intake and exercise!
That's exactly how I feel about it.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-03-2010, 03:24 PM
BusterLove

Yes, I see it up there with neglect.
I know some people have overweight dogs, I'm incredibly anal about Buster's weight but I don't expect everyone to be like that but dogs that are obese for noother reason than they're owners is just sad.
We struggle with Harry's weight, all the other dogs are quiet easy to get to stay slim, the ACD in Harry means he gains weight on the smell of food, has a hard time getting it off, has a massive appetite and gets cranky when he's hungry. He's also built different to the other dogs, he's short legged,heavy set with a lot of loose, thick skin. He's looking better now and actually has a bit of a waist since we've got more room for him to run.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Top Dog

I hate hate hate when people play the "he/she got fat after they were fixed BECAUSE they were fixed" or the even better one "I dont want to get her fixed because she will get fat"

More exercise and less food equal less weight. You learn that in like, fourth grade. When I notice and extra pound I cut back food for that particular dog, OR I up the activity.

If the dog has a medical issue, thats fine. But otherwise, I really don't get it.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

Many people are overweight because of snacking and they share with their dogs. When I.B. had her brain tumor she went crazy over wanting to eat anything . She wasn't over weight , but the vet recommended air popped corn and canned green beans as tummy pleasers .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

I think poodle mommy has it right--a fat dog can still be a well loved, well taken care of dog. There are a ridiculously fat beagle and golden that come to my dog park once in a while. Their owners fawn over them, their kids adore them, and they get to come to the park once in a while. Pretty good life, aside from the weight.

Would it be better if their owners stopped letting them gorge themselves? Yes, of course. It would also be better if people with healthy sized dogs stopped using prong collars or yelling at their dogs for peeing in the house. But in no way do I think that those dogs should be taken away--they'll be taken to a shelter and put down.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 01-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Water Junkie

No. I do not think having a fat dog is abuse. Frankly, that's a pretty big generalization to make.

Besides, what is your definition of 'obesity'? 5lbs overweight? 10lb overweight? Can't walk?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

i had the incident w/ the morbidly obese greyhound "rescue" several months back so i don't think there's any doubt about how i feel about fat dogs & their ignorant (often willfully) owners but the real danger of NOT getting in their face is that allowing them & everyone watching to go on thinking fat is correct WILL (and has) result in harassment of people who keep their dogs fit & healthy (like most hunting & working dogs).
Old 01-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Many people are overweight because of snacking and they share with their dogs. When I.B. had her brain tumor she went crazy over wanting to eat anything . She wasn't over weight , but the vet recommended air popped corn and canned green beans as tummy pleasers .
The reason I'm not overweight is because I share with my dogs

Old 01-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Drivey and Intense

When a pet is spayed/neutered, do vets explain to the owners that the animal will likely have a lower caloric requirement? Intact dogs tend to require more calories to maintain weight than otherwise so while sterilization does not cause weight gain, if owners do not realize this, they won't make the proper adjustments in their pet's diet. On top of that, pets tend to get neutered at 6-12 months of age, then maturity begins soon after which also means a drop in caloric requirement. I don't think my vet said anything about my goober when he was neutered, but then he was a skinny, disproportionate rescue.

I don't agree with vets who do not say anything until a dog is really overweight. In my opinion, it is MUCH easier and more beneficial to catch a problem early. Would you rather treat a paper cut or a full blown staph infection? Having to lose two pounds is a lot less daunting than 12 or even 20 pounds.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:48 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
But in no way do I think that those dogs should be taken away--they'll be taken to a shelter and put down.
I agree completely with this statement, while I do feel it's wrong, and yes, these dogs quality and quantity of life ARE being affected, I definitely wouldn't want them taken away and placed in foster or shelters. Most of them wouldn't stand a chance