Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default Is Obeseity Abuse?

Morbidly obese dogs have always been a pet peeve of mine. I'm not talking about the dogs that are fat because of a health issue that they are dealing with, but dogs that have no other cause for their obesity other than their "lifestyle."

I have heard people say that it is abusive to allow a dog to get this heavy, but do you think that it is actually abuse? Should laws be made against it? If so, how would you define "obese" in a dog--at what *point* is it abuse?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Drivey and Intense

Abusive/neglectful, yes if it clearly affects the quality of life in a dog. Should it be part of an enforceable law? NO. To me, that would be a slippery slope and I can see AR latching onto that. Better to stop having clearly overweight/chunky dogs in dog shows and on TV, have vets educate owners more on what qualifies a FIT weight, and training classes should emphasize and encourage weight loss/proper weight maintenance.

There are many things we can do through education- we really need to stop having the government getting involved in our pet ownership rights and responsibilities. Some laws are good and necessary, but I guarantee we do not want much more government involvement.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

I do think it is abuse.. Just like he 2-3 year old kids you see on Maury that are 100+ lbs.. it is Neglect plain and simple.

Does he look happy to you?
He is DYING.. literally. Dying at 6 years old because of his owners NEGLECT. He doesnt wag his tail, he doesnt get excited, he doesnt bark he doesnt do ANYTHING.. Because he really cant.. He cant walk down over a little hill that seperates his owners house from my aunts house. He slides down on his bum. And to get back, sometimes he CANT. He sits at the bottom of this hill and whines till somebodie bring him home in their vehicle.

It is abuse.. Just like chaining a dog up to live its days alone. He is alone, he is just.. There...can't run, play have any fun.. He cant even walk witrhout being in pain.. And he doesnt have any health problems to make him this way. He is this way because of his owners neglegence. Just lets him eat whatever, whenever.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

i think they should be turned in for neglect. I groom a poodle THAT CAN NOT STAND because of its weight. It breaths very very heavy too. I am scared it will die on the grooming table it is so fat.

the owner picked up the dog and announced "aww baby girl! lets go! I got some mcdonalds french fries for you in the car!"
I wanted to get sick I was so mad.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Drivey and Intense

Babymomma, that lab is fat but sadly I have seen MUCH fatter. Are they certain that this dog has no arthritis/dysplasia? Has he been xrayed for joint and back problems? I would have guessed him to be 12 but 6??? That's crazy..

In the family there is a beagle that stands about 17-18" at the shoulder but weighs 55-60 lbs!! My 20-22" shep mix weighs 45 lbs and is solid muscle... craziness! The other day, something that made me really happy, I saw a basset hound that actually had a properly toned hourglass shape. This is always a treat to see.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

He does Have joint problems and back problems.. I should've been clearer..LOL.. He doesnt Have a Condition to make him fat.. But he does have health issues because he is so fat.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Yorkie Love

Hmmm... I dont really know where I stand on this.

I make an effort to keep my dogs in really good shape and assuming no health issues it really isnt difficult at all to keep them in a very healthy weight. So when I see an overweight dog, I cringe.

However, growing up we had a dog who I realize now looking back was overweight, not morbidly obese but not a healthy weight at all. However, she was far from neglected... she basically went everywhere with us and was never crated or just sitting home. She was free fed and obviously should not have been. However, she lived a very pampered life. So I cant really say she was abused.

I think a lot of times overweight dogs are just an indication of inexperienced owners and may live very good lives beyond that... if they are taken away from their owners they may likely end up PTS anyway, so we arent really winning there.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Salty Sea Dog

absolutly...

i dont think its on the same level as beating, or leaving your dog out in the freezing cold on a chain with no shelter...

BUT a dog doesnt get say in what they are eating...and some WILL eat to excess...
(even mine who are free fed will still over eat if theres good treats around)
its up to the person to control what the dog eats, how much excersize ect...

if its a medical reason fine...

i also think those over feeding their pets should be checked for mental issues...
too many times ive heard "i just keep giving him food because hes always hungry" or "hes always begging for treats" or "he eats so fast he must be hungry so i give him more"

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 01-02-2010, 09:43 PM
and Spy.

I think it is abuse.

However, I think it is more important to try and change people's attitudes then to change the law.

So so so often, I hear people talk about fat dogs like it is something really cute. Or they use the excuse that "I just love him too much I guess!" and turn it into a joke. People just don't take it seriously, and it is both frustrating and sad.

I think if more things were done to improve people's education on obesity, that may help the problem. Vets should be more insistent and make it clearer to people that being overweight has a very negative impact on an animal and is a big deal. Also, for people in general, DON'T LAUGH. Don't say it's cute, don't give people reasons to think it is ok or acceptable for their dog to be overweight.

I would love if someone made a short commercial about it or something, I think that would do wonders.

Anyway, that's my 0.02 cents on the matter.

Edited to add: If the dog has a medical condition that causes it to be obese, that is a different story. Also, some dogs will lean towards being overweight. Tucker is a perfect example. I have to watch his waistline very carefully because he puts on weight like there is no tomorrow. In my post, I was more talking about morbidly obese dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Top Dog

Yes, I do worry about the dogs , but really worry about humans and their kids more . There's a big difference between a 10# over weight dog ( large breed ) and a 100# overweight human . A dog can't change their food only their caregivers can . Ollie's lost 3# and I'm thrilled to death ! Maybe if vets charged more for over weight breeds it will sink in !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/