Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Top Dog

Default Bacteria in urine

A couple weeks ago, I started a thread about one of my beagles who had blood in her urine. She had a UTI and it's been treated, and it's fine now.

When I brought in her second urine sample, I brought in a urine sample from my other beagle just for the heck of it.

Vet called and said that "a bacteria" showed up in his sample, and he wanted to put him on antibiotics. I pressed him and asked him to explain more about bacteria. He never really gave a precise answer to what the bacteria was. He said he could culture the bacteria to get more specifics, but said he had prepared a medication for him. I told him I was hesitant to put him an antibiotics if there wasn't a pressing need. He said that he didn't have "a burning desire to put him on antibiotics" and the decision was up to me.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

Update: I'm leaning towards having the lab culture the bacteria to see exactly what it is.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Very Food Agressive

I'd probably do the same thing. I would be wary of medicating a dog for a bacteria that can't be named.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
I'd probably do the same thing. I would be wary of medicating a dog for a bacteria that can't be named.
Yeah, it was weird. He was very vague. This is a new vet because we just moved to a new state. I think he expected me to just say 'ok'. However, he doesn't realize that I'm crazy protective dog owner.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Very Food Agressive

Good for you! You're doing right by your dog

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

I would hold off on the meds until the bacteria is NAMED. I mean what if the bacteria is one thing and the meds are for another thing? If I where you I would look for another vet.

Deputy,8yr old Anatolian Shep mix
Zane, 7yr old AmStaff mix
Abby, 6yr old Akita mix
Kieber, 1yr old Min Pin mix
Old 01-03-2010, 08:29 PM
<------RIP Superdog

You cant really "name" any bacteria by just looking at it under a microscope. You have to culture it first and spend alot of money.

Personally, if it were my dog i would hold off on everything if he isnt showing signs and bring in another sample in a couple weeks. Some dogs normally have bacteria in their urine that doesnt do any harm, or the bacteria could of been a contaminate from the container or the stain used. Did your vet find any white blood cells with the bacteria? If not then there likely isnt an infection. I would not freak out at this point.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

You do realize the culture is going to take a week at the soonest to get back, oft times 2 - 3? In which time the UTI is just going to get worse?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassOnion View Post
You do realize the culture is going to take a week at the soonest to get back, oft times 2 - 3? In which time the UTI is just going to get worse?
It's her other dog who had the bacteria--not the one that had the UTI

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Right but if the dog has bacteria in its urine, that's a UTI.

Anyhow I'd just ask them if they did a Gram's stain to confirm if you're worried about them misdiagnosing and unnecessarily treating. That's the most expedient, informative test and should be one they can do right there in the clinic without you (and the dog) having to wait weeks for a reply.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown