Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 04:09 PM
FaceZ Of DeaTh

Arrow Compact guard dog

Not to many people know about this breed. If you like guard dogs but are a fun of the toy breeds this could be the dog 4 you. I dont like small dogs but i just wanted to see if you guys know about schipperkes. They weigh in at 12-16 pounds and have a greater protection ability than a boxer. I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw this on a website (animal planet dog breed directory). Anybody wanna clear up this situation for me.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Felurian

I've actually met a couple of Schipperkes. A man was sitting on the tailgate of his SUV waiting for his wife to finish her grocery shopping and he had a pair sitting there with him. They got the two from a Schipperke rescue organization and he really enjoyed telling me about them. When his wife came out a few minutes later she jumped in and talked about what marvelous watchdogs they were; alert, smart and fearless and really quite tough little dogs. One of their jobs is guarding the barges transporting goods on the rivers in northern Europe.

I thought they were neat little dogs.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:34 AM
FaceZ Of DeaTh

yep they were made small so they could guard boats just like u said. but they are stupid lil dogs and realy hard to train.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Felurian

The couple I talked to had owned several different breeds of dogs and they said the Schipperkes were among the cleverest and quickest to train. It's like everything else; it's going to depend on the dog and the owner.

These two were very well mannered and responded instantly when the owners spoke to them.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Are you dead yet?

I met a Schippy awhile back at an agility show, AWESOME little dog, had a personality a lot like Ripley's. Very fiesty, very smart, and VERY fast, he gave those border collies a run for their money.
They are an effective guard dog, I've seen some in schutzhund even.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceZ Of DeaTh
yep they were made small so they could guard boats just like u said. but they are stupid lil dogs and realy hard to train.
Can you ever post..and i mean EVER, without having to insult a certain breed? This is becoming very insulting and frustrating for some of the people here, and I would very much appreciate if you stopped calling certain dogs stupid, dumb, ugly, etc... please and thank you.

Don't insult people's dogs just because they aren't yours.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:53 PM
Show Quality Weimaraners!

Quote:
Can you ever post..and i mean EVER, without having to insult a certain breed? This is becoming very insulting and frustrating for some of the people here, and I would very much appreciate if you stopped calling certain dogs stupid, dumb, ugly, etc... please and thank you.
I agree PitBulliest.
I've groomed & trained many Schippys over the years.They are one of the smartest,sweetest little dogs I have ever been around...I personally take offense to the fact of you calling them dumb.

Old 09-26-2004, 12:41 PM
FaceZ Of DeaTh

layla ur not a moderator.... animal planet dog breeed directory says there a 1 out of 5 for trainibility lol go to the site lol
Old 09-26-2004, 02:47 PM
Are you dead yet?

Who cares if she's not a moderator, do you have to be a moderator to take offense to what you said?
AND OH MY GOD.. You are REALLY starting to **** me off. You judge the intelligence of an ENTIRE BREED based on what an ANIMAL PLANET QUIZ TELLS YOU??

In case you didn't know, which you obviously don't, the breed quizzes are all a matter of someone's personal opinion. If you look on other breed quizzes, some will say that the schhippies are HIGHLY trainable.

But seriously, stop bashing other people's breeds. What is it... Every dog that isn't one of your dog's breeds deserves to be called stupid, vicious or ugly? Puh-lease.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceZ Of DeaTh
layla ur not a moderator.... animal planet dog breeed directory says there a 1 out of 5 for trainibility lol go to the site lol
It's not necessary for someone to be a moderator to take offense and tell you that they've taken offense, as long as they do it within the parameters of normal forum etiquette.

The difference that comes into play with a moderator is being able to edit offensive posts, suspend and ban incorrigibly offensive posters.

Basing your opinions of dogs on a quiz offered by Animal Planet makes as much sense as someone ditching her boyfriend because of a quiz taken in Cosmo or because of advice from Miss Cleo. (Remember her? )

It is also true that very intelligent dogs are often much more difficult to train than more complacent dogs less apt to think independently.

You obviously want to know about different breeds of dogs; why don't you just ask questions instead of using arguments and insults to get information?
Closed Thread