Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Unhappy Hives

After having a bath yesterday with some new doggie shampoo Artimis broke out in hives EVERYWHERE!

He still has the hives all over, though they are getting better, but I'm worried about getting another shampoo. I don't know what he is allergic to!

These are the ingredients for the shampoo, is anything in the list common or semi-common for causing allergic reactions in dogs?

SHAMPOO INGREDIENTS: Coconut base shampoo, WHEATGRASS (5%), Aloe Vera, Raspberry Extract, (natural cleanser), Papaya extract, Mango extract, Wheat protein, Chamomile.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Hmm... is he allergic to wheat maybe? It could also be any of the extracts. I'm looking at my Earthbath stuff, and coconut based cleansers and aloe vera are common ingredients. Chamomile is probably fine too. Though technically it could be ANY of the ingredients, I would guess it's one of the extracts or maybe the wheat.
I see that Earthbath's Mango Tango has mango essence in it, not mango extract, I'm not sure what the difference is? Hmm...

Try maybe an oatmeal shampoo if you can, that should be soothing to his poor hives too! =< Poor little guy.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

THe wheat protein is what stood out for me too. Might be the coconut too. DOes benedryl help? What about sauve shampoo? i have never had trouble with it for myself or my dogs. What ever you do I would do a patch test before using it on him.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

Poor Artemis! My recommendation would be to try and find a shampoo that has the fewest amount of ingredients in it. Although I bet the shampoo smelled great having raspberry, papaya and mango it also adds extra possibilities for allergens. Some dogs are allergic to aloe, this could be a possibility. The other thing that could have contributed to the hives could have been leaving behind a little bit of the shampoo residue during the rinse. Time and time again I have owners tell me that they rinse long enough on their dogs and they 100% beleive that they are! But in some cases they are not. This can aggrivate a problem that may have only been a slight irritation.

My biggest thing is to stay away from HUMAN SHAMPOOS!!! Once in a blue moon can be ok on some dogs. Dogs have only 5 cell layers in their epidermis while humans have on average 15! This is the reason that pH is so important on a dog. A dogs skin can be irritated much more easily than a humans. A shampoo for humans is pH balanced on average at 5.5, but some people have even been found to have a pH balance as low as 4! Humans are much more acidic than dogs who range between 6.2 and 7.4 depending on the dog breed.

I know, I know, some people swear that they have only ever used human shampoo on their dogs and it has cause them no ill effects. But some people also feed Ol' Roy for the lifetime of a dog and they have fine dogs, but it doesn't mean that it is the best thing for them.