Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Just try me..

Oh it might. But people will be lazy anyway. I don't think you are going to change people that way. I have talked to people who can buy a JRT for 250 and don't see the issue with that! They think people are crazy for paying more. So a couple of hundred difference wouldn't change their opinion. THose people already don't care about health tests etc.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Just kind of a question for all on the thread--Do you think that requiring a puppy buyer to do health testing on their pet (either partially or completely paid for by the buyer) would discourage people from buying from reputable breeders?

With labs, if you go with a good breeder you are already paying hundreds more for a pup than you will with pretty much any BYB. I personally would never go to a BYB over a reputable breeder just over a few hundred dollars worth of testing (or at all), but then I am an "Extremist" and there are many "Mainstream" (heehee--sorry couldn't resist) pet buyers that might not feel that way.

I wonder if making it that much more expensive/a hassle for puppy buyers is going to cause more to go to BYBs. I realize that with certain more rare breeds this is not as much of a concern, but with the more popular ones I could foresee it being an issue if every reputable breeder started requiring hundreds of dollars in testing from their puppy buyers.....

Just a thought....
But there is always going to be something a "mainstream" buyer would be turned off by. The price, the screening, obligations, etc. You can't please everyone, and one has to think about what's best for their dogs/puppies/breed/program VS making someone happy. Honestly, if someone is turned off because I will require they need to have the puppy health tested, then I will suggest going to a rescue or another breeder who feels differently. If someone doesn't feel that health testing is important (or doesn't take the time to look for another breeder), and would rather go to a BYB to be a part of the problem instead of part of the solution, then I don't want them having one of my puppies in the first place.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Oh it might. But people will be lazy anyway. I don't think you are going to change people that way. I have talked to people who can buy a JRT for 250 and don't see the issue with that! They think people are crazy for paying more. So a couple of hundred difference wouldn't change their opinion. THose people already don't care about health tests etc.
There are always going to be some people who can't see paying more for a dog for any reason--I'm more talking about people "on the edge" so to speak.

The reason I actually bring it up is my husband. He is not, as he calls it "a dog dork" like me. However, especially seeing the effects with Jack that a dysplasia can have on a dog, he most definitely "gets" the importance of health tests. If he thinks it will be helpful for the dog, he also has no issue spending money. We took out a loan on his 401K to pay for Jack's bone chip removal and physical therapy for months afterward. He doesn't complain about all the money we've spent on supplements and never so much as grumbles at the hundreds we've spent on swim/massage therapy for Jack. I should also mention an $1100 bowel obstruction surgery paid for without complaint as well....

However, when I mentioned this thread to him, he thought that a full battery of health tests for a seemingly healthy "pet" dog whose parents have been health tested was excessive if being paid for by the puppy buyer.

Now, would it drive *him* into the arms of a BYB? Probably not. If it were that much of an issue he would go for an adult rescue dog as he prefers bypass the puppy stage if possible anyway. BUT, if it gives HIM pause, it is likely to do so for much less crazy men.....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
There are always going to be some people who can't see paying more for a dog for any reason--I'm more talking about people "on the edge" so to speak.

The reason I actually bring it up is my husband. He is not, as he calls it "a dog dork" like me. However, especially seeing the effects with Jack that a dysplasia can have on a dog, he most definitely "gets" the importance of health tests. If he thinks it will be helpful for the dog, he also has no issue spending money. We took out a loan on his 401K to pay for Jack's bone chip removal and physical therapy for months afterward. He doesn't complain about all the money we've spent on supplements and never so much as grumbles at the hundreds we've spent on swim/massage therapy for Jack. I should also mention an $1100 bowel obstruction surgery paid for without complaint as well....

However, when I mentioned this thread to him, he thought that a full battery of health tests for a seemingly healthy "pet" dog whose parents have been health tested was excessive if being paid for by the puppy buyer.

Now, would it drive *him* into the arms of a BYB? Probably not. If it were that much of an issue he would go for an adult rescue dog as he prefers bypass the puppy stage if possible anyway. BUT, if it gives HIM pause, it is likely to do so for much less crazy men.....
If we're speaking stickly pet here(the most "adventure" the dog gets is maybe some hiking, camping, and boating on weekends)... I kind of feel the same way. And, while I wouldn't mind paying an additional $300 or less for some testing on him down the road, I dont' think I'd want to be paying much more than that. And if the the price of health testing, blew the price of the puppy to a *really* high price, I wouldn't like that either. Now, I wouldn't buy a dog out of the paper, I'd just look for a breeder that fit what I was willing to do.

One thing that would help keep cost down though, is to only do the really necissary testing... and also maybe skip on the offical grading. You can go to a very respected vet and have hips and elbowed x-rayed and just take his evaluation... you don't need to send them into OFA for the "offical" grading... that will save a good amount of $. The thing with pets is that you want to know that they are healthy, but you're not breeding from them... so they don't need the same drill as breeding stock does(would it be nice, yes. Is it really *needed*, no.)
Old 01-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Resident fainting goat

me & romeos breeder are going to go half/half on paying for health testing. the way I see it, its a win win for both of us. She gets to see how a typical healthy dog from her breeding program is doing and I get the health tests to make sure romeo is doing alright.

I also got Kenyas hips rated before we wanted to get into agility (just in case), IMO its a great thing for pet owners to do

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

Just to pipe up about the price of getting the radiographs graded. It is $40 total for hips/elbows to be graded, and if you send 3 or more from a litter in at one time, it's even cheaper. I don't think the cost of having the xrays read and graded is the real deterrent, or I'd be paying for it out of pocket! I think the couple hundred dollar actual xrays or bloodwork is the deterrent, or am I wrong?

If you submit hips/elbows, then it's free to have shoulders graded too!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
Just to pipe up about the price of getting the radiographs graded. It is $40 total for hips/elbows to be graded, and if you send 3 or more from a litter in at one time, it's even cheaper. I don't think the cost of having the xrays read and graded is the real deterrent, or I'd be paying for it out of pocket! I think the couple hundred dollar actual xrays or bloodwork is the deterrent, or am I wrong?

If you submit hips/elbows, then it's free to have shoulders graded too!
oh, for some reason I had it in my head that it was $40 each... which, $80 in the long run isn't a lot... but when you add it to what you're already shelling out.... well, it's nicer to not have to. LOL.

I wonder if a few breeders could get together and make a deal with a local vet that they'll send their local puppy buyers/test their own dogs through them for a reduced price.... that might help a little.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

We actually had someone call the clinic, wanting xrays on 3 littermates. My vet hadn't heard of the reduced fee before, but I showed her on the paperwork where it says "Animals Over 24 Months
Hip dysplasia databaseonly***8226;. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$35.00
Hips plus elbows (together)***8226; . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$40.00
Elbow dysplasia database only***8226; . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$35.00
Litter of 3 or more submitted together***8226; . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$90.00
Kennel Rate***8212;Individuals submitted as a group, owned/co-owned by same person.
Minimum of 5 individuals***8226; . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$15 per study"
Link

I talk about OFA because it's what I know. There ARE other places that do official xray grading too. Namely, WCVM and OVC in Canada, and PennHIP here. I know Cornell and the U of MN grade xrays too.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:06 PM
<----Thanks Allie

^I meant reduced rate, as in the vet themselves would charge less for the x-rays, blood work, and sedation knowing that they will be getting more business bc a group of breeders will only be using them.

And I know the vets have some wiggle room with their prices because when I was working for a vet, I had Bailey x-rayed for $5(cost to patients would have $75), I had his bloodwork done for $20(cost to patients would have been $90).
Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

Ahha, that too! Our springer club has hosted health clinics before. When the PRA test came out, we got free blood draws, and only had to pay for the sample evaluation. A LOT of dogs were tested that wouldn't have been otherwise because of it. It was a brilliant idea.

I bet at least a couple vets would be open to that idea! It would certainly get them more business, and a good name for being willing to work with people.