Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Salty Sea Dog

i see both sides absolutly
on one hand what a great wya to have a better veiw of your breeding program
on the other it can get very expensive (and in some breeds, even more so...)

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

I fully support it. IMO, it doesn't just help the breeder's program, but those of others.

I'm sure the breeders who require new owners to pay for health testing later down the road notify their buyers ahead of time of the obligations and associated costs. If they can't afford it, don't want to, etc there are other breeders they (figuratively speaking) can look into I'm sure
Old 01-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Top Dog

Luckily none bought my pups to reproduce . I was always in touch with the buyers so always was told how they were doing . Besides , back when there was't as much testing .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I health tested Auggie (though I haven't CERF'd his eyes - I had the chance to do so at a trial I went to, but I just didn't make the appointment to have it down.) because I wanted to, not because I was required.
It would be very nice if the breeder chipped in some... I think it also depends on how much exactly is being required. For Auggie it was around $200, if I had his eyes done it would only be around $30. So less than $250 total. That's hips, elbows, knees, and eyes. I really don't think $250 is a huge expense in the long run. Of course, I also did it mostly because *I* wanted to know about his joint health as it related to his agility career, but still. OTOH if it was pushing $600, that is quite a bit to spend IMHO...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Luckily none bought my pups to reproduce . I was always in touch with the buyers so always was told how they were doing . Besides , back when there was't as much testing .
The whole point is testing NON reproducing dogs grammy. Pet homes, not breeding homes.

As a breeder I already loose money. Why should I have to pay for a pile of extra health testing. I do think it should be mentioned up front to the buyer though. Or the breeder could just tack on the extra 600 to the puppy price (if that is the testing costs)...

Either way breeders (good ones anyway) tend to be in the red as it is. Its also in the buyers best interest (and dog people in general) to support health testing of more dogs.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 PM
overdogged

I support it, either way. I'm not required to do any on Steve, but I'm going to OFA his hips and probably his elbows when he's neutered (they might be prelims, but good enough) for my own knowledge as well as for his breeder's. I'll probably get him CERFed somewhere along the line because it's cheap.

If the breeder is upfront about it and is upfront about their reasons for wanting it done, then the prospective puppy buyer is free to accept or decline the contract. I came across one breeder who required annual CERF exams for years on pet puppies, and I wasn't up for that, but I'm more than happy to do certain testing on my own dime.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Obey the Toad.

I would be fine with it as a puppy buyer if the breeder was paying for it. It's not that we couldn't afford it, but I feel like something that is going to cost an extra $600 or so that is being done simply for the breeder's information should be paid for by the breeder.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I would be fine with it as a puppy buyer if the breeder was paying for it. It's not that we couldn't afford it, but I feel like something that is going to cost an extra $600 or so that is being done simply for the breeder's information should be paid for by the breeder.
But wouldn't you want to know if your dog had health issues? I mean I know you might not just do it on your own.. but isn't that why you would go to a good breeder? Cause you care about healthy dogs?

Why is the onus all on the breeder? I would think that people should embrace the idea (if not the practice) of supporting health testing. I do ask my puppy buyers to do a CERF test once after the dog is 4-5. Its $50. I suppose I could tack on an extra 50 to the puppy price...

Unless the breeder is wealthy they would likely just add the cost to the initial price. Personally I would rather have the cost spread out.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
ACoops favorite

Very early on, my breeder told me that whether I got a pet or prospect that the puppy/dog would be health tested at various intervals through out the dog's life.

Hips, elbows and thyroid are to be done at 2 and then at 5.

However, now that she is going to be more then a pet, I know she will have extensive health testing through out her life.

DM is the latest "baddie" in the breed that people are testing for. My puppy could be DM clear or a carrier (but not affected) and she will be tested upon her arrival here.

Our hope is that she is DM clear, but one never knows.

Genetic testing is a vital tool if all progeny are tested. That is the only way to know exactly what you are producing.

Even in purebred dogs, there is some genetic variability.

One last thing- I really have no idea who is paying for it, but since she's my dog I'd bet that it's my responsibility to hold up that "end" of my contract.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Taxiderpy

It's a good idea, and something I would want to do if I ever produced a litter.

Strider will probably never, ever, ever be bred. However, when he turned 2 I did have a full blood panel with thyroid workup done. I wanted to know for myself what his bloodwork looked like when he hit adulthood. I like having that "snapshot" done of him in good health. We've got something to compare against 8 years down the road if something goes wonky.

His breeder appreciated it. I don't know, if it was my litter I'd be willing to chip in for costs of certain tests, depending on the frequency of problems in the breed. Hips aren't normally a problem for borzois, so I probably wouldn't shell out a couple hundred bucks per puppy to have them all screened if the parents and grandparents etc. were fine. But thyroids can be a problem, and I wouldn't have any problem paying for thyroid screens at 2 and 5 years old to see if any issues popped up in my lines.

Or if I was working with collies, it would be worth it to know specifically about all the puppies eyes, not just ones in breeding or show homes. I wouldn't be as concerned with every puppy's elbows and stuff, not typically an issue.