Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 12-31-2009, 08:22 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Default Health Testing Pets

I have noticed more and more breeders requiring full, or almost full health testing done on all dogs produced, not just ones that are being bred. For example requiring hips, elbows, thyroid, and cario done at 2yrs, 5yrs (and maybe other year) on a doberman.

What do you think of this?

I feal that its a good way to see how your breeding program is truely doing health wise. If you only test breeding dogs, then out of a litter of 8 (usually more) dobes, maybe 2 get tested. So you really only know how 1/4 of your dogs are health wise. You could have not great hips in your puppies and not know it because it may not cause a problem in a pets life time.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 12-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Very Food Agressive

I see it much the same way you do, it lets the breeder know what the breeding produces in its entirety. I also think the breeder should pay for it though if it's going to be an additional requirement down the road. Or perhaps take a deposit when the pup is brought home and pay the difference int he future themself?

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:42 PM
F150 and a .30-06

But its really nit that expensive. For a dobe less that $600. You wouldnt have to do it all at once. If you started when they turned 2 and finished by the time they turned 3. It would however be incredably expensive to do an entire litter yourself.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 12-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Very Food Agressive

Yes but that could result in the puppy's price doubling. I dunno, I feel like that's the breeder's prerogative.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Twin 2.0

I think it's a great way to track and see what you're producing across the board, not just through the select few who get their championships.

It can get expensive, so I think that there should be time given to spread out the testings and such.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:43 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I think it's a great way to track and see what you're producing across the board, not just through the select few who get their championships.

It can get expensive, so I think that there should be time given to spread out the testings and such.
Yes. If I ever did it, I would give the buyers till they were 3.5yrs to have the testing complete.

I wouldnt require VwD testing in pets, because it really has no barring on your breeding program, except with the actual breeding dogs

Old 12-31-2009, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

I'm torn. On one hand, I think it would be extremely beneficial for a breeder to know the health of all puppies produced. On the other, it's a lot to ask of a pet owner. Health testing can be very expensive and is not something I personally would ask of a pet owner if I were a breeder. I think that if a breeder is going to require health testing on all puppies, that they should at least give a partial refund or something. But I can see how that might not be feasible for a breeder.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Puppy Dog

I think it's a great idea, and I plan on doing it with my Ibizan. I was the one who brought it up to the breeder, and of course she loved the idea.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Puppy Dog

I think it would be very valuable information for a breeder to have health testing preformed on an entire litter. But it is not a fair expectation that pet owners should foot the bill. I think the breeder should be prepared to cover the costs if they want the tests to be done.

Jennifer
Tailcreek Mastiffs - English Mastiff breeders in Alberta Canada - Home
Old 01-06-2010, 12:38 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I'm a little late to join the party here...

BUT, on another forum an idea was brought up.... that the breeder actually puts a certain amount of the purchase price into a savings account and then gives the owners a reimburesment after the health testing is done.... I happen to think that's a really great idea. Obviously, it puts the breeder a little more in the red, but I think it helps prove their lines even further and (IMO) is well worth it.