Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

Default Corgis

I know someone on here owns one, don't remember who right now.. But what are they like? Energy, prey drive, coat, etc. I'm thinking of maybe getting one in the future, probably won't, since each time I say that I end up with a mutt of a waaaay different breed(s). I've always been interested in them, just have never seen one in person. I like doxies to, just have nightmares about the back/spine problems. So what is your opinion of them?
Old 12-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

There's a few of us on here that have corgis. Some have pemmies, some have cardis. I have pemmies. My opinion? They're the best breed EVAR.

You worry about doxie spine issues. That is also a worry with corgis, although it's my understanding that it's more of an issue in doxies than in corgis.

As for what they're like? There's a pretty wide range. Many pemmies are working/sport quality and therefore are fairly high energy and high drive. They're an extremely intelligent breed. They learn fast, but often learn bad things. They're very clever and mischievous. Absolute clowns. There's never a dull moment with a corgi around. Don't underestimate their short legs either. They can and do get on tables and counters.

Dog aggression and resource guarding aren't at all uncommon in the breed and some corgis can be quite scrappy about that. I suspect there's common ancestry with terriers somewhere.

Some corgis are very vocal, others not so much. Be prepared for a barker and if you don't get one that barks a lot, be grateful. Pemmies are very outgoing with strangers.

The coat is a short double coat and there's usually a lot of seasonal shedding. Exercise requirements are medium to high. They typically do have a good off switch as long as they are kept sufficiently stimulated - mentally even more important then physically. Most have a very high food drive.

And if you do get a corgi, pictures are required.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Twin 2.0

Like with any breed, it depends a lot on if you get a working bred dog or a pet/companion/show bred one.

Corgis are pretty darn nifty though and I keep thinking I'd like to have one some day.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Like with any breed, it depends a lot on if you get a working bred dog or a pet/companion/show bred one.
True, but less so with pemmies than some other breeds. Ares is puppy mill and has everything that a true working corgi should have in drives. Morgan is both show and working lines - some of the herding lines -- yet she has far less drive. A lot of show line corgis do have good working qualities and many do both show and herding. Structurally they're being bred down, but as far as working drives and temperament, that's still very strong even in pet quality and poorly bred corgis.

Quote:
Corgis are pretty darn nifty though and I keep thinking I'd like to have one some day.
Ooooooooo you should!!

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

I have Shippo, my fluffy pem. And +1 to everything CP said lol.

Eevee
13-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 12-29-2009, 05:40 PM
ACoops favorite

I'm getting a cardigan welsh corgi, they're the "other" corgi. The corgi with the tail.

They're more german shepherd like in temperament then the pembrokes, and a little less hyper and in-your-face.

As for energy level, that depends per corgi. My mentor has one corgi that would chase his ball all day long if you let him. She has another corgi who is a prima donna who would love to sit in your lap and have you pet her all day long.

All of her cardis have some type of working ability. And the herding instinct is fairly strong in the ones I've seen.

I don't know too many pemmies, so what I've said on them is information I've gotten from other people.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

Shippo's actually pretty laid back and quiet for a pem. He's my first one so I dunno if this is typical or not, but when I go to the corgi meetup, most of the 30-something other pembrokes running around are pretty wound up and vocal. Shippo's probably one of the calmest, quietest ones there. Not sure if this is due to training, breeding, or both lmao.

Eevee
13-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Shippo's actually pretty laid back and quiet for a pem. He's my first one so I dunno if this is typical or not, but when I go to the corgi meetup, most of the 30-something other pembrokes running around are pretty wound up and vocal. Shippo's probably one of the calmest, quietest ones there. Not sure if this is due to training, breeding, or both lmao.
I personally know a grand total of 6 pems. Out of them, Muffin is the most laid back & calm... however, I also do the most training with him. He's got terrible breeding (rescue who was originally bought from a pet store). He's not really an "in your face" dog, but that's prob because he's afraid of his own shadow. Poor guy.

I'm going to have to say "ditto" to corgipower's post. They're awesome dogs, but they are a med-high energy dog. So be sure you have the time to do stuff with them.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

If I do it will probably be the cardigan, dogs without tails are sorta weird to me. Are they rare in Texas or something? I have never seen one.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Another +1 to CP's post.

My only complaint about Frodo thus far is that he's lazy I signed up for a herding breed dammit!
One of the best things about corgis is that they are so food motivated and intelligent that training is usually quite easy and fast. Though at the same time this can work against you.

Awesome little dogs, but from the wrong place they can be nasty nasty little creatures. To be honest, a lot of ill-bred corgis I've met scare me.

+2 on dog aggression potential as well. From what I understand you see less DA in Cardis than in Pemmies.

One thing I heard on here (not sure who originally said it, CP maybe?) that always makes me laugh when I think about it was "Look at my poor starving face, not my chubby little body" or something to that affect. They are convinced they are always starving

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.