Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Gigi Monster & Evil Puppy

Default Giardia - Any ideas?

My newest puppy, Enchante, came to me in July with Giardia. Thus far she has been treated 2x with metronidazole and panacur. Then we also tried just upping her fiber with metamucil. Most recently, she had 14 days of treatment with ronidazole.

After each treatment she has tested positive for giardia. I haven't had her tested after the latest treatment . . . but she still has the symptoms of Giardia.

Most troubling is that the last time the other two dogs also needed to be treated as they were having symptoms of giardia too.

I practice good hygiene with them, but at this point, how could it not be in my yard? So I'm worried that even if the treatment works, they are now reinfecting themselves from my yard. I asked my vet about whether there was anything that I could do for the yard, and he said there wasn't. That even if I replaced all the dirt with new dirt, it would still have giardia because it is that prevalent in California.

He also said that if Enchante still has giardia after this last treatment, that he can give the dogs a vaccine that does nothing for curing the giardia but helps prevent them from spreading it.

Has anybody been in a similar situation? I am starting to feel like I am stuck in an endless cycle of this. Any thoughts or ideas of what more I could be doing or trying?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

When I lived in NY, I had huge problems with giardia, and I do believe it was in the soil. Spraying the yard with a bleach and water mixture worked wonders.

This site ~ Giardia ~ might also help in terms of treatment. But with my dog that kept getting giardia, bleaching the yard was all I had to do to.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
When I lived in NY, I had huge problems with giardia, and I do believe it was in the soil. Spraying the yard with a bleach and water mixture worked wonders.

This site ~ Giardia ~ might also help in terms of treatment. But with my dog that kept getting giardia, bleaching the yard was all I had to do to.
Thanks for the website link! I have bookmarked that as an option. I am really at my wits end. It has been 6 whole months now without an end in sight.

How did you bleach the soil? I mean, what ratio of bleach to water did you use? And did it kill off all the grass at the same time? Did you have to do it a few times? And do you remember how long you have to keep the dogs off of it after you did it? I imagine it would be bad for them to get the mixture on their paws. I certainly am thinking of doing this . . . just want to prepare myself for it ahead of time.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa92841 View Post
How did you bleach the soil? I mean, what ratio of bleach to water did you use? And did it kill off all the grass at the same time? Did you have to do it a few times? And do you remember how long you have to keep the dogs off of it after you did it? I imagine it would be bad for them to get the mixture on their paws. I certainly am thinking of doing this . . . just want to prepare myself for it ahead of time.
I don't at all remember the ratio. I think I usually do about 50/50 or so. It didn't kill the grass. I bleached every day for about a week and then I only bleached after it rained (the dog got giardia after it rained, so I think it was getting washed to the surface from the rain). The dogs were kept off it until it was dry.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-28-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
I don't at all remember the ratio. I think I usually do about 50/50 or so. It didn't kill the grass. I bleached every day for about a week and then I only bleached after it rained (the dog got giardia after it rained, so I think it was getting washed to the surface from the rain). The dogs were kept off it until it was dry.
Sorry to be such a pest, but this is so helpful. Did you apply it using one of those hand pump sprayers or is there a faster way to do it? Maybe put bleach in one of those bottles that attach to the hose?

Also, how much did you spray? I mean did you just essentially wet the area or did you soak the area when you sprayed?

I am going to Home Depot tomorrow (most likely) and want to go ahead and pick up a sprayer there.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

In NY, I used a small pump sprayer because I didn't have a hose. At a kennel I worked at, we bleached the play yards twice a day and we used a sprayer on the end of the hose -- filled the sprayer with bleach and it would mix with the water from the hose. Here, I just use a regular spray bottle -- not bleaching for giardia, but just because with four dogs it gets a little smelly and also in case wild animals are bringing anything in.

I don't soak it, but I try to get enough on there that it's not just on the tips of the grass.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

My dog also had recurrent giardia, but we knew he wasn't getting it in our yard, since it isn't fenced and he doesn't tarry there. We wound up treatring him with long term Metronidazole therapy. It took six months but he has been symptom free ever since (and that's almost three years).

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 12-29-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmom777 View Post
My dog also had recurrent giardia, but we knew he wasn't getting it in our yard, since it isn't fenced and he doesn't tarry there. We wound up treatring him with long term Metronidazole therapy. It took six months but he has been symptom free ever since (and that's almost three years).
I haven't heard of long term Metronidazole therapy. Maybe that will be what the vet has us try next.

I did start to treat the yard to day. Then totally ran out of bleach. I will have to go buy some big containers of it. I got both a hand pump sprayer specifically designed for bleach and then a sprayer for the hose. I will probably use the hose for the lawn. but may use the hand pump sprayer for more control near patio furniture.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

When Chili had Giardia we used a combo of Flagyl and this drug.

Albon

he has a supressed immune system and it has not reoccurred
Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

The Metronidazole should be clearing it up. He's either being auto-reinfected or being reinfected out of the environment.

Giardia is extremely hardy and can survive in the soil in a cyst form for up to 6 months.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown